Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
You are indeed, "Corrector" weight and thanks for your response. Now that I think about it Kevin would have been only 16 years old in 1964, so those guys must have done it on Widgeon. It was the biggest year for entries (1970) with 14 boats, all the other years were more like 4 boats. I always enjoy working on the tales of Santa Barbara boats in years past to try to keep the history alive so thanks for your help. I think it is great that Grange is going on this epic race and of course they hope to beat the record.

On an objectional note, yeah the News-Suppressed now has two paid columnists writing about how great da doc is. The paper is doomed.

condor

Anarchist
You are indeed, "Corrector" weight and thanks for your response. Now that I think about it Kevin would have been only 16 years old in 1964, so those guys must have done it on Widgeon. It was the biggest year for entries (1970) with 14 boats, all the other years were more like 4 boats. I always enjoy working on the tales of Santa Barbara boats in years past to try to keep the history alive so thanks for your help. I think it is great that Grange is going on this epic race and of course they hope to beat the record.
Check with Kevin on this one, but I think I recall him talking about Henry Holtzman being on that trip, too. Something about his driving by looking backwards at the wake....

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Max, It was excellent. The breeze held at 10-12 knots. Taxi beat us by 3 seconds so that sucked as it was a long course and we thought we got 'em. We had some crew rums on the boat afterwards so I don't know the other results. We had Austin, Tim, Rush and Kevin Miller on board along with the regulars. Owner Dirk did foredeck and JAG steered. We were hoping to pick up Pete M as well, but we booked out early to look at a new mainsail. Good news is that Pete M has abandoned ship on the Dr. Dread program. He is now free to walk around the bar rather than sit in the mandatory black crew circle around da doc and pretend to be happy.

Taxi appears to be lacking in crew for this weekends Cal Cup, but I hope they go. Looks like there could be 10 sleds, close to the old days. Lipton Cup is also this weekend. Still not sure who the other players are, but definitely hoping our team does well with Deneen driving and a damn good crew.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
TAHITI RACE 1970: The final answer: 14 boats. SBYC entry Widgeon (Morgan 54) 19 days 11 hours.

Crew: Norm Bacon, Carl Robinette, Kirby Spicer, Gary Weisman, Gary Gordon, John McCosham, Dana Timmer, Kevin Connolly, Russ Smith and Bob Grant.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Well now you've done it Max. The For Sale sign is on Sting. She just couldn't stand losing to you. So now she picked two more boats to bring to town.

Full circle, HA HA HA

ALSO, sound like Taxi had a sitty day at Cal Cup, 7th with a late start. Jimmy sober yet?

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Kenny said a Flying Tiger is coming to her fleet.

Did not know it was REPLACING Sting...Bummer, I like the competition of the Doc and her intern's.

Taxi boys better get with it, they are representing the hood!

EWS

Super Anarchist
Kenny said a Flying Tiger is coming to her fleet.Did not know it was REPLACING Sting...Bummer, I like the competition of the Doc and her intern's.

Taxi boys better get with it, they are representing the hood!
Heard the rumor over the weekend also.....great to add another Tiger to the Area A fleet.....Good for them for stepping up to the plate into a growing OD fleet with lots of talent......should have close to 20 boats on the line at our PCC's at LBRW. I'm also showing my boat to another potential SB owner here in the near future who is interested in purchasing. Pretty soon we may get a local OD class going which should be a lot of fun.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
FYI, EWS I would not count on any one design action. I'll buy you a cocktail if she ever races one-design. She bought it for the graphics. Then there is also a J/125 on the way so she'll be in A Fleet which should be fun considering how much those Taxi guys "love" her.

Lack of wind plagued every regatta on the west coast last weekend. Lipton Cup, where we tanked, only saw 5 knots of breeze. Cal Cup where Taxi pretty much tanked (6th) they only got off one race on the first day. Locally the skiff festival was not too festive or exciting and the Hardway Race was a drift-athon. The good news is that the high will be moving on and wind is predicted for Wet Wednesday.

chicken_little2.gif

PS Latitude 34 party is Thursday night

Ball Breaker

EWS....looks like Janer will be buying you drinks at the bar. The Docs Flying Tiger will for sure be racing one design out of town!!! And Taxi would love another A class boat on the line.

EWS

Super Anarchist
EWS....looks like Janer will be buying you drinks at the bar. The Docs Flying Tiger will for sure be racing one design out of town!!! And Taxi would love another A class boat on the line.
Excellent.....I never pass on a free drink. You guys going to have the boat ready for LBRW? You guys probably have it handled but if you have any questions on the boat feel free to drop me a line anytime.

condor

Anarchist
Ball-breaker, I hate to ask this (not really) but...

wait for it...

What's it rate?

(...and welcome to any boat(s) to the fleet...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelp

Super Anarchist

Wow!!!

this is huge!!

Extreme wealth willing to risk it all (i.e. not win) and race OD!

Very cool

Good job Doc!

Status
Not open for further replies.