Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Other Friends, ie. Ventucky friends,

Wondering if any of you have input on this year's Ventucky Cup? The first proposal received from John Deere country offered the following parameters:

Three boats per club. Each boat's rating would be multiplied by a coefficient of 1.25. So let's see...if one team had a boat that rated 0 (take a Farr 40 for example), that boat gets NOTHING, still rates 0. Then lets say someone brings a 4kt shitbox that rates 200. His new rating is 250, giving him a bonus of 50 seconds per mile. That sounds BRILLIANT!

The format was fine last year. Everything was great except for the PRO who gave us not one but two courses that were so short boats finished in 15 minutes which he failed to notice as he was munching on some pork rinds at the time. I am sure THAT will be fixed this year. So can we just come up with a normal racing format and not bastardize the whole thing?

Kelp

Super Anarchist
Other Friends, ie. Ventucky friends,Wondering if any of you have input on this year's Ventucky Cup? The first proposal received from John Deere country offered the following parameters:

Three boats per club. Each boat's rating would be multiplied by a coefficient of 1.25. So let's see...if one team had a boat that rated 0 (take a Farr 40 for example), that boat gets NOTHING, still rates 0. Then lets say someone brings a 4kt shitbox that rates 200. His new rating is 250, giving him a bonus of 50 seconds per mile. That sounds BRILLIANT!

The format was fine last year. Everything was great except for the PRO who gave us not one but two courses that were so short boats finished in 15 minutes which he failed to notice as he was munching on some pork rinds at the time. I am sure THAT will be fixed this year. So can we just come up with a normal racing format and not bastardize the whole thing?
Here we go again...

EWS

Super Anarchist
Other Friends, ie. Ventucky friends,Wondering if any of you have input on this year's Ventucky Cup? The first proposal received from John Deere country offered the following parameters:

Does chase away the larger / quicker boats. No sure this year on how things pan out if we will take the Tiger or not. Always seems to be a good SB Bowl show going on the same weekend.....decisions decisions.

J.A.G.

Three boats per club.
Correction: That would be "Three boats per team with no limit to the number of teams per yacht club." Back to 3 boats racing from most clubs (1 team) but the host club with 12-18 boats (4-6 teams). Yeah that sounds like fair competition! See you there.... not.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Here we go again...
What's changed? The Middle East has been going at it for thousands of years, the Hatfields and McCoys went at it for a hundred years. Between SDYC Lipton and the Ventucky cup, I think we can have some good bloody rivalries. Just watch out for those scatter guns!

DRDNA

Anarchist
Ventucky
Gol Dern it all! Diesel(or is it deesill) is so costy I kin't even plow, nor troll fur seabass, let alone race in a Ventura's cup. As an old one design sailor I'm always cornfused by the rules, although I been won it beefour. Find my old Merit 25 and race it, it'll have a great rating.

Shit howdy, ths soundn like a guud regatta for us in Bakersfield, so if the santa barbara tem dont go how bout uis fillin in. we culd win this hey waht? with 2 hot Mac26 plus our bestest boat a home made aluminium Moore 24 with all the gift ratin changes we could take the tropy away from those Ventucky guys in a pigs heartbeat. Pls take us on a serious entry. if yu guys are still doin the tractor pull on the beach after the racin we'll be kicken some so cal asses in that too.

Correction: That would be "Three boats per team with no limit to the number of teams per yacht club." Back to 3 boats racing from most clubs (1 team) but the host club with 12-18 boats (4-6 teams). Yeah that sounds like fair competition! See you there.... not.
:lol:

I'm with J.A.G. It's beyond me why anyone would fuggin care about this regatta anymore. It was asinine to begin with: how do you team race without team racing rules and identical boats? Maybe way back when it actually had good sailors from all over the area participating it was worhtwhile. Then VYC, in an ironic twist, unintentionally and systematically (there's a paradox) dumbed it down to the pos event it is now.

All you need to win is three teams - one spoiler team of Robert Horrys taking people out othe first day which then get shit-canned by VYC; then another spoiler team of Robert Horrys taking people out the next which then get shitcanned by the race committee; then your acutal sailing team to win the event.

The FARR 40 would be awesome on the spoiler team. Seriously, it could be all over the course, just taking potshots at olson 30's and catalina 27s from ventucky. Come to think of it, it could start and not round any marks and just work the middle 2/3s of the race course, tacking on people, slowing them down and what have you and then just take a bunch of dnfs. While you're at it, take Taxi too. :lol:

Then there's the Ventura Yacht Clubs new VPP rating system. :p VPP = Ventura Performance Promotion. I bet RORC will be watching this regatta closely. Seriously, did someone at Ventucky Yacht club just get a new graphing calculator they need a reason to use?

It would be awesome to show up there all at once with 30 boats and bitch-slap those morons.

Each boat's rating would be multiplied by a coefficient of 1.25. So let's see...if one team had a boat that rated 0 (take a Farr 40 for example), that boat gets NOTHING, still rates 0. Then lets say someone brings a 4kt shitbox that rates 200. His new rating is 250, giving him a bonus of 50 seconds per mile. That sounds BRILLIANT!
charter some santana 22s at 264x1.25=330 they will absolutely crush everyone. with the 1.25, it'll gain a minute and six sec. per mile and be so far behind it will always be sailing in clear air... rated 25% slower than it already is.

Has anyone explained to the ventuckians what a phrf rating does, or are they still busy trying to figure out the rating penalty for putting up your dodger on the D.W. legs?

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
HIJACK

8 foot seas?????i was there and it was calm as a lake!!!
BowClown,

I believe you were at the YC Golf/drink fest on the evening in question, so the lake may have been where your ball ended up. You should have had your wife kiss your balls for good luck.

Sorry you misplaced two of your clubs.

Were they Woodies or Wedgies? You guys have weird names for those sticks. Is it possible to have a woodie and a wedgie at the same time?

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Fast Roberto, Thanks for your daily reports on the womens regatta in Puerto Vallarta. It sounds like they still need some help in running the event. It's guys like you and Priest who could really work this event into being more legitimate. The Santa Barbara Women's team really debated about going this year, but in past years there was a lot of mismanagement by the PRO which was stressful after spending $8000 to get the team there and charter a boat, we want to see it get better before we go again. The fun factor was great after races, but we went there to race and were disappointed with the organization. So it sounds like the PV team will win big this time. We were just glad to beat them in 2006.

We love being on the water and actually IN the water.

Team_pool.jpg

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
You older locals will remember John Schumann; sailor, fisherman and all around good guy. He just passed away at the age of 58 after falling into a diabetic coma. There will be a "wake" of sorts upstairs at Endless Summer, next Friday June 6 starting at 3PM.

R.I.P. John

Status
Not open for further replies.