Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Silent Bob, pics or it did not happen:) I hope you don't have the pics...but I am sure they will show up.

Janer, DDR is a big maybe, I am in The Bay area right now and watched the Wet Wed up here. Elvis was sailing these boats called Gnarr's up here yesterday, spectacular weather, 8-10 knots as they tacked up the beach by SFYC. Thorpe said the boats are the best weeknight racing in SF, it looked real close, @15 boats or so.

Speaking of One Design, I am getting lots of inquiries about the J-80. I really like the boats and hope that some who cannot plunk down 75 grand for a J 105 slip after buying a 100 grand 105 might consider this the way to go. Don't get me wrong, Melges 24's are the future, but J-80's are not quite as dinghyish and have some real benign handling characteristics...easy to dock, not too crew movement sensitive etc..

knuckles

Super Anarchist
Keyboard
Speaking of One Design, I am getting lots of inquiries about the J-80. I really like the boats and hope that some who cannot plunk down 75 grand for a J 105 slip after buying a 100 grand 105 might consider this the way to go. Don't get me wrong, Melges 24's are the future, but J-80's are not quite as dinghyish and have some real benign handling characteristics...easy to dock, not too crew movement sensitive etc..
I have sailed them on a couple of Wednesday nights out of MdR. We consider them kind of like mini-105's. A little bit better power to weight ratio, but nothing like the M24, and comfortable, too.

condor

Anarchist
Madmax -

They have a big fleet of J80s at Long Beach Race Week. Take that thing down and kick some ass!

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Long Beach Race "Week" starts tomorrow. Lots of good one design fleets are entered:

7 Farr 40's, 7 M30, 7 Shock 37's, 9 J/105, 10 J/80's and 14 242's. The weather first predicted for 8-14 (nice) now downgraded to something lighter.

We'll see. Cal YC always puts on a great party/ Rumored that the Farr 40 PIRANHA is really going to come after us on Skian Dhu (I'm soo scared) they know by now that the little black knife (skian dhu) is perfect for making sushi out of a piranha ( although not edible). bE afraid and carry your rule books.

Looking forward to seeing and partying with the teams from further down south. Lots of really good sailors in the one design fleets. Good luck to all.

Manana

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
PS. Special addition to this weekends crew on the Skian Dhu, the one, the only Mr Lounge Act. Which means several things: mandatory lounge chairs, some of his excellent wines and a full on bitch fest in tactics. Bring it Loren. Love ya no shit.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Thump, Duh..you're right we are in Marina del Rey at Cal Race Week! Good conditions, not so good results. We've got 8 Farr's racing and we're on course with the Fast 50's. RC has managed to pick courses in every race which have us intermingling at mark roundings etc...not so good. Hopefully they will improve on this today. Nice breeze 8-12 as predicted. One guy injured on a J/80 at the dock. He was doing some work up the mast when is pal accidently released the halyard he was on. Spreaders broke the fall a bit. OUCH.

afterguy

Hey,

I've recently moved to Santa Barbara from San Francisco, I'd like to get a ride as crew, maybe starting with Wet Weds to get to know some boats and people. I've raced pretty much every position on the boat from from stem to stern, lots of foredeck and pit. But I had a kid last year so I'm a bit out of practice. FWIW I also have a few thousand miles of cruising experience as captain. Please respond to the board, or PM me if you'd like to take some movable ballast aboard.

Thx

David

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
David,

Welcome to SB, I am sure you will get a ride. We are trying to get the Farr 40 back here from LA..very windy and choppy so I am not sure the boat will be here Weds. I will PM you. If there are no other offers I suggest going to the "wall" on the harbor side of the YC where sailors start showing up around 4 pm.

afterguy

David,Welcome to SB, I am sure you will get a ride. We are trying to get the Farr 40 back here from LA..very windy and choppy so I am not sure the boat will be here Weds. I will PM you. If there are no other offers I suggest going to the "wall" on the harbor side of the YC where sailors start showing up around 4 pm.
Jane,

Thanks for the info. I'll go and hang out at the wall and see if I get lucky :) .

David

f and l

David,Welcome to SB, I am sure you will get a ride. We are trying to get the Farr 40 back here from LA..very windy and choppy so I am not sure the boat will be here Weds. I will PM you. If there are no other offers I suggest going to the "wall" on the harbor side of the YC where sailors start showing up around 4 pm.
The boat is back. Now I have to go sit in the sun and warm up.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Thanks to Mr. Lounge Act for getting the Farr back to do Wet Weds. Pretty wierd conditions with it blowing 45 out in the channel. The eddy brought everything from zero to about 10 knots in a short W/L/W race tonight. Da Doc showed up, kinda surprising after the thread on SA about her misbehavior at Cal Race Week. I would credit the SA posters for pushing her to admit that she should not have picked up a trophy there. David from SF who posted here for a ride had quite a ride tonight in the big chop and short course and was put on mast for a fast learning curve..he did great.

Boats trying to get up to do the Encinal SF to SB are seeking safe harbor here. Hippy John brought in a SC 50 and others are arriving. It does not look like there will be a window for the next 4 days to get around Conception, 30 to 50 knots. Not good. But they can party in SB in the mean time. Or do the Margarita Regatta on Saturday with us.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Oh yeah, and this

more_cow_bell_graphic.jpg

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Correction....Hippy John (Shampain) brought a J 125 to town, ducking for cover. I wonder if the prop fell off? Same boat?

Crazy night last night. Total log jams at mark roundings. Puffy and choppy on the runs.

Makes it kind of sketchy when Taxi comes roaring @marks at 12 knots and J-24's are parked everywhere. Seems like the timing was perfect for this clustering.

But I do I think what we need is........Mo Cowbell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
:blink: ;) :p

Correction: I spoke to The Hippy Tuesday morning right after he brought in the SC 50. The J/125 did not arrive until last night. Max, you are mad.

Hey GOOD LUCK to our Delta Ditch entries! Please call my cell with updates. Remember the closer you get to Stockton, the scarier it gets..not just the width of the river but how close you are to redneck fishermen and folks who resemble something out of Deliverance.

Humble opinion

Jane. I am not newbie just tryin to keep a low profile when I tell posters to fXXXoff. I know you too so please be nice to me I am always nice to you.

Kelp

Super Anarchist
Jane. I am not newbie just tryin to keep a low profile when I tell posters to fXXXoff. I know you too so please be nice to me I am always nice to you.

Since you've asked Jane to be nice to you, allow me to step in...in my humble opinion, and with all due respect, I do believe your post qualifies for the Dork Post of the week.

Have a good weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts