Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Bowclown,

I am so happy that you won the "Cookie John" Curnuette crewmember of the year. Those of us who have been around a while always have a tear in our eye when that it presented, and you are a great bowguy with a dry sense of humor and we love you. Now you must make us cookies.

Another great trophy went to Jeff Otis,Loren Colahan and Cris Gillum for outstanding sportsmanship for their rescue of an ill fated kayak adventure which went wrong with the current switched and the wind picked up alot and there were several kayaks holding on to a race mark for their dear life. Dudes, excellent work.

Tomorrow is the "birth" day of JAG so please inondate his stock brokerage/financial planning office with as much shit as possible. God knows what work they are getting done. Kudos to Jeff for winning the Centennial Cup last month with Jeff Otis as crew; also the Bugay Blue Water trophy for his particiaption in the record breaking Tahiti Race; also tactician for the winning Farr Skian Dhu. When are we getting those crew thongs anyway?

Thanks for the Taxi guys for one last slurp of something I did not need. We'll get that trophy back next year.

Champagne_from_trophy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Saw Glenn Gusto today and he is alright.

Said he went up a 40 foot rig and the Bosun's Chair webbing stitching failed.

He said he heard the stitching fail as he was putting on his safety strap and next thing he knew the rig was flying by.

He looked down and saw it was going to be tricky to land somewhere non hostile.

He grabbed a halyard and severely rope burned his hands.

He broke/fractured his heel.

He fractured his Tibula face in his knee, but it did not require surgery.

He is thankful to be here another day.

He is one lucky SOB.

Cat_Norris.jpg

Saw Glenn Gusto today and he is alright.
Said he went up a 40 foot rig and the Bosun's Chair webbing stitching failed.

He said he heard the stitching fail as he was putting on his safety strap and next thing he knew the rig was flying by.

He looked down and saw it was going to be tricky to land somewhere non hostile.

He grabbed a halyard and severely rope burned his hands.

He broke/fractured his heel.

He fractured his Tibula face in his knee, but it did not require surgery.

He is thankful to be here another day.

He is one lucky SOB.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
HMMM...a Newbie called Flying Bosun

could this be Glenn attempting to communicate?

Earth to Glenn, don't Bogart.

Step away from the computer please, nothing to see here.

condor

Anarchist
PV race starts this Saturday from MDR (Del Rey YC).
First leg is MDR - Cedros I. - 375 miles. SB boat Tranquility is sailing that leg.
Well, that was a bit of a bust. The warm and windless weather we have here extended way south. The race had a motoring provision, which was necessary on the race to Cedros. Except for one boat, everyone powered at least half the trip. One boat actually powered for 367 miles on a 375 mile sailing race, according to the race website.

Mostly it was 4-6 knots or less wind, with some 5-10 one afternoon. We saw a max of about 15 knots, and that for only about an hour.

Tranquility turned around when going further south meant we couldn't have gone back to San Diego without going all the way to Turtle Bay for fuel. At that point, we still had about 130 miles to the finish, plus another 48 to Turtle. Made a lot more sense to power north in flat water. And coming north we never saw more than 8 knots of wind.

Disappointing in a sailing sense. Most races down Baja you get to go downwind in pretty good wind and waves.

On the other hand, it was a week-long boat trip, so fun on that level.

Hi, all.

For the record:

I was using a WEST MARINE soft bosun's chair to sand and varnish 39' stick. I had just reached the top and was reaching up to attach safety, so the bottom of my feet were approx. 35' off the deck, when a critical webbing-webbing stitch failed. I managed to grab tail of my falls (9/16" Regatta braid) with my left hand as I fell. This probably did more to keep me oriented vertically than it did to arrest my fall. Somehow I landed in the only 18" square of "safe" landing space available.

Elapsed time: approx. 1.47 seconds

Impact speed: 30-32 mph

Result: fractured left tibial plateau (lowest portion of the knee), fractured left calcaneus (heel bone). Neither requires surgery thus far.

Recovery: 2-3 weeks I can begin applying weight. 2-3 months walking without aid/crutches. 100% in about a year.

"Lucky" somehow doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

Tibial_plateau.jpg

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Flying Bosun?

How about:

Flying Rigger

Falling Bosun

Rope Burn

Look out Below

AAAAAHHHHHH

Oh SHiiiiiii*

What I really want to know was did you see your life flash before your eyes Glenn?

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Dude,

I am sure you have realized that you have SA friends that were worried about you; however

You are now in the fold as a Newbie sock puppet which has it's drawbacks, i.e. shit will be flying your way.

sock_puppets.jpg

Bonus points are awarded to you for being one of the flicked crew off a Dr. Dread boat. So right now as far as I am concerned you have a pretty fair rating. Rest up and repair.

Yes, I know that there were and still are folks concerned for my well being and I've felt the love from many a direction. That was what brought me to SA and the "sock-puppetness" that I must now endure. I wanted to get the word out that I'm ok and getting better rapidly. Thanks again to all.

And yes, Bob. As it turns out, they were in fact recalled last October. Apparently, I missed that memo. Please pass it on.

Good news is: 1) it didn't fail the weekend prior when it was used by someone else for 3-4 hours, and 2) by issuing a recall, TaylorMade/West Marine have essentially admitted liability so I don't think I'll be totally hosed.

Frankly, I just want to get back to work, play and life as usual.

Best to all

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
DR. LAURA CHEATS AGAIN!!

This is insane..how can a person continue to cheat in a sport?? It's time to ban her from the Race Course.

At the January 20th meeting of the PHRF Board it was brought to light that Laura Schlessinger had "gutted" her J/92S STING. Stating that she "removed the forward tank, the head and much more." She never informed anyone of these changes which are definitely significant.

"The discussion concluded with the decision to require the former owner (Laura) to come in for a disciplinary hearing.

The PHRF Judge Advocate will write a letter to her reminding her that she must notify PHRF when making such changes to her other boats and requiring that she or her representative come in for a disciplinary hearing. The Fleet Secretary was tasked with organizing all documentation on STING and sending it to the Judge Advocate."

not_a_doctor.jpg

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
I'll bet you find no wrong doing - kenny was always very careful in boat prep - he knew he would be under a magnifying glass

Crew

Anarchist
some airport
I'll bet you find no wrong doing - kenny was always very careful in boat prep - he knew he would be under a magnifying glass
PeteM: Do you really want to stand by that comment? how about a quick call to Dobb's regarding the carbon Panel to create a "shower" with dummy faucet for a rating credit, or ring Kyle about the , ahhhhh, custom, fuel cells on OD J boats. Yea right.

regards,

Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.