Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
It was a tough Midwinter Regatta this weekend, at least at Cal Yacht Club where they had the Farr 40 fleet, Martin 242, Stars, J/80 and J/24s.

Saturday was pretty much a bust with very light air. Some fleets did only one race the whole day. We on the Farr 40 course did two races in mostly flukey drifter conditions, shortened courses and all over by 3 pm. And we on the Santa Barbara team not too happy with results of 5 & 6.

The weather preditions for this morning were not much different except for the addition of possible rain. Nice. It was glass on the race course from 11 to 1 and we were placing bets on when they would call it. At about 1:40 a little zepher came in, the Star boats hoisted to prove that they could move in it; and the next thing I knew we were in sequence. I'd have to say the RC did a damn good job. Distance to the weather mark was much shorter, with a double sausage. se short courses at least make you work hard with crew work and tactics; plus there was always a lot of action at the mark roundings. Short story long, we got a 2,1,1 today and were able to redeem ourselves to a final 2nd place. Lots of great sailing stories were told over the two days of light air sailing. I have a new respect for Ventucky guys. We had 3 great Ventucky best of sailors, Jeff Z, Eric Bohman and Tom Casper.I heard some great sailing lore. In my realm it's usually sailing lore of the 70's and 80's, but these guys brought me some sailing insight of young men of the 90's as heros and dickheads. Maybe you had to be there. Great weekend. LOVE MY CREW. JAG did a great job of navigating and Dirk driving as always, I guess I am usually remiss in applauding the heart of the crew, that being Caroline and me; the cheerleaders, caregivers, food gatherers, and gnarly bitches who run the pit perfectly.

\co

mpu

ter

going

down

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
U rated on those max?
why derated?
Yep, been flying one for a couple years. Sheeze, emergency training is easy...you are either flying or gliding.

Not really derated as much as flat rated. That way it makes 1200 hp at 10,000'. It is only designed for 1200 horsepower (the airframe) and the flat rating is so it can make sea level power off all US Airports, even To Hell U Ride, Colorado. Great Mountain plane.

HEATHEN

Thanks to the SB boats that came down for the Midwinter Regatta at CIYC.

It was a tough weekend for all with light and variable wind all weekend.

I thought everyone might enjoy this video clip of race 4 weather mark rounding J-24 class...

condor

Anarchist

I thought everyone might enjoy this video clip of race 4 weather mark rounding J-24 class...

Two comments:

1. That is UGLY light air...

2. White boat is toast. You can see the jib luff on the blue boat as they turn up, definitely above close-hauled.

daffy

Super Anarchist
NW

looks to me like the blue boat had over-stood the mark so just came up to close-hauled. jib luffing doesn't mean anything in a protest. white boat good to go, and if blue would have let his main out after the rounding he may have stayed ahead!

2-cents

Kelp

Super Anarchist

So the boat overstood the mark and had to come UP...

What do they do if they tacked too soon and are not going to make the mark, bear off?

Jaded

How about just plain old tacking to close. Blue had to alter course just to miss hitting white during theor tack.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Seems awfully quiet on this thread concidering what's going on.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

HA

Dude you crack me up even when the stock market is tanking.

sock_puppets.jpg

Talk amongst yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Trust me, we will all miss the flatulent sound of her golden voice on the water, her wide-eyed look of ignorance on the starting line and her seemingly endless journey of fetid decisions to do the wrong thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts