Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
It was a great spectator night. Instead of the usual 70 boats out for Wet Weds, there were about 12. Congrats to the J/105's who had the only fleet turn out, I think about 6, who probably met the max speeds they had ever seen downwind. Average wind was probably around 21 but lots of puffs over 30. The bar was packed with the usual suspects who are usually on the water, Taxi team, Bebe team, Skian Dhu team, Demourkas, Ferdinand crew, etc. It was fun. We watched the J/120 do 3 roundups before the chute blew into pieces. The crowd screamed in the bar. Sort of a blood thursty NASCAR deal. As long as everyone got back to the harbor safely, it was probably worth it. In my younger days I loved the battle with the heavy air elements more than I do now. Being dry and having a marg with friends was more appealing tonight.

Rock n' Roll and Skian Dhu are headed for Newport tomorrow for the Ahmanson Cup. Things should calm down tomorrow for the deliveries. (take care Chris). Looking forward to seeing our out of town sailing pals in the Farr 40 fleet. Yeah.

condor

Anarchist
Rock n' Roll and Skian Dhu are headed for Newport tomorrow for the Ahmanson Cup. Things should calm down tomorrow for the deliveries. (take care Chris). Looking forward to seeing our out of town sailing pals in the Farr 40 fleet. Yeah.
Also Rush Street making the trip to Ahmanson...

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Condor,

Good luck on your delivery. It still has not laid down very much! See you in Newport.

hopscotch.gif

condor

Anarchist
A few SB boats in the Ensenada Race this year. Good luck to all:

Tranquility, Taxi Dancer, Prevail, Kalimera, Gauntlet,

and (ahem..) Rush street.

Looking to better our 37 hour race last year. This year I'm taking Max's advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.A.G.

So what happened at the front of the pack? Sounded like breeze early and fairly forward... new record? Spill the beans! pun intended...

condor

Anarchist
Ensenada was a blast this year!

Started on a close reach, set a chute about 4 PM. Outside of a few peels up and down, held it all the way to the finish with one jibe in Todos Santos (plus a couple jibes to get clear air when we got too close to Coronado Norte. We ended up splitting the Coronados.)

All the boats in our fleet went very high off the line to get outside. We followed Max's advice and went as rhumb line as possible. We probably sailed about 127 miles on the 125 mile course. Until the morning as we approached Ensenada, it was pole near the headstay spinnaker reaching all night, a lot of time with the wind ahead of the beam.

It was a small-boat race this year. Overall winner for all of PHRF was a Catalina 30 - they got the $5,000 watch award.

Santa Barbara boats corrected out in reverse handicap order. Kalimera (cruising fleet, but never used the motor) corrected on all of us. Rush Street corrected on Tranquility, Taxi Dancer , and Prevail.

We went into the cruiseport marina this year. Great facilities, modern setup with showers, laundry, etc. 10 minute walk to the Bahia. Nice to be at a slip.

Met at the dock by a NOSA inspector to check our safety gear. Good thing I bought those new flares before the race... I asked him how many boats that anchored instead of tying up to a slip were getting inspected. He didn't really answer. From the board, it looked like they did inspections on more than half the boats.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Santa Barbara Anarchists

I'm thinking of a sunday trip down - with wife and 2 kids under 5. Is the Harbor View Inn a good place to stay? We want easy access to the beach(no driving) and a heated kiddie pool - which they have. Other ideas?

Thanks

J.A.G.

Mitch- The Harbor View is a safe choice. Check out the Santa Barbara Seashell fleet across the street on Sunday afternoon-- kids sailing Seashells and Sabots with their parents coaching. A good dinner place is Emilio's (not to be confused with Eladio's- which is attached to the hotel). Eladio's has a good breakfast, but there are better dinner places for the money. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.