Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
This beautiful yacht tied up in Santa Barbara Harbor a few days ago. Pristene, about 80 feet long, named Herona. She's owned by Craig McCaw, ex-Billionaire Boys Club ACC player, One World Challenge. He's looking to buy a nice endtie for this eye candy.

Anyone know more about the boat?

McCaw_Yacht.jpg

McCaw_Yacht_2.jpg

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Went out sailing today on "Heroina'. Damn nice and we are racing it Wed! This was German Frers personal boat. It was built 17 years ago in Argentina and has lived in Italy and Spain the last 15 years. Mast is from a "Il Moro De Venezia" maxi boat. 98 feet tall.

Steers like a dream. Powered main halyard and hydraulic jib furler. Did I mention hydraulic Barient Primary winches? How about push button hydraulic mainsheet for the driver. Very nice boat. Cold Molded wood. Amazing down below. Looks like a catalog of perfection. Mostly white.

A little underpowered in 10-12 with the non overlapping jib. Setup for Med sailing in flat water and 12-15. 38 tons. Super easy to sail and tack. Has a Ben Lexcen (Australia II shaped) type winged keel with the reverse angled leading edge. Jib has inflatable battens that are inflated after the jib is unfurled.

It has a ASO spin that we have to try and sort out before wed. They have not used it since Mr. McCaw aquired the boat 8 months ago.

DSC08485.JPG

DSC08495.JPG

DSC08497.JPG

DSC08504.JPG

DSC08501.JPG

DSC08510.JPG

DSC08522.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Pat Toole and the rest of the Big Dogs had an excellent 1st race at the J/24 Worlds, 9th out of 79, followed by a Z flag penalty in race #2 (bummer)

Better luck today guys!

spock.jpg

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Cinco_de_Mayo_fire.jpg

Damn it all. Santa Barbara is on fire AGAIN. I had an evacuation party last night..4 gals, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 3 bottles of Chardonnay. Drink, eat, calm the animals, watch it on tv, sleep. More hot, strong winds predicted for today. UGH. Be safe.

afterguy

My usual ride is out of town this week, does anyone need crew for today? I'm happy to do anything from the front of the boat to the back, or just sit on the rail and be heavy.

Thx

David

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
whoa - that fire has done exploded - winds finally came up, right now the east Chanel buoy is showing 30 kts - and wow - the YC is showing a gust to 55 (!?!) - who knows what the winds are like in the mountain tops.

was on my way up to wed nite when the owner called it off 'cause family might need help evacuating - I thought about going to the club and having a beer but was worried about a highway 101 closure - if it got closed it would mean a 200 mile detour thru Bakersfield, so I turned around and went home - but wow, I could see flames from 20 miles away

what is it with the spring fires? The Painted Cave fire was in June, and now this one in early May

tizak

whoa - that fire has done exploded - winds finally came up, right now the east Chanel buoy is showing 30 kts - and wow - the YC is showing a gust to 55 (!?!) - who knows what the winds are like in the mountain tops.
was on my way up to wed nite when the owner called it off 'cause family might need help evacuating - I thought about going to the club and having a beer but was worried about a highway 101 closure - if it got closed it would mean a 200 mile detour thru Bakersfield, so I turned around and went home - but wow, I could see flames from 20 miles away

what is it with the spring fires? The Painted Cave fire was in June, and now this one in early May
This fire's a real pistol.

Every time it looks like it's coming under control it rages back.

We evacuated on Tuesday night and have been out since. As far as I can tell, even though the fire has come close, our place is still standing - saw it on TV this morning (we're across the canyon from the reservoir where the choppers suck up water).

It's terrific to be part of the sailing community here - I've had numerous calls and offers of help from many close friends who I sail with. Great support from great people.

Hope everyone affected by this one comes out unscathed.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
Point Forecast: 4 Miles N Santa Barbara CA
This Afternoon: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 93. Breezy, with a north wind around 29 mph.

Tonight: Patchy smoke. Clear, with a low around 70. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 33 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.

Friday: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95. Windy, with a north northeast wind 28 to 31 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.
ouch

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Point Forecast: 4 Miles N Santa Barbara CA
This Afternoon: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 93. Breezy, with a north wind around 29 mph.

Tonight: Patchy smoke. Clear, with a low around 70. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 33 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.

Friday: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95. Windy, with a north northeast wind 28 to 31 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.
ouch

Things are looking very very bad here. The fire is everywhere and expanding on all fronts. I heard that Condor's house is gone as well as several other friends. I am so sorry for all and scared for myself as well. I've been told if I want anything else out of my place to go now. I'm staying put, too crazy, I've got my computer and foul weather gear, maybe even my SA shirt. A group of us are at my sister's on the Mesa along with dogs and cats. 75 houses burned so far and it's hot and windy.

Ball Breaker

Evacuated my parents house at 8:00 tonight on Cocopah Drive......not far from 154. My 2 year old daughter Carly kept saying "big fire daddy"......."big fire daddy". Many Santa Barbara schools are closed down.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
crap, boat partner got evacuated - but smart guy towed the I14 behind the motorhome to his biz parking lot in Goleta, 6 people, 3 dogs, and a cat

he built his house on the san marcos pass expecting fire - stucco, no overhangs, metal railings, fireproof roof, double pane glass, an acre of lawn around the house, strict brush abatement, a pool with gas powered pump for water, and walk-in fire safe. plus he commonly has gatorade and sandwiches for the firefighters - they usually say his house is defend-able - we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
10:30 pm fire still moving rapidly. Cocopah is on tv where Kenny & Jeff O parents live. Air temp is 100 degrees. 8 firefighters injured. manditory evacuation all the way to Patterson ave. in Goleta. Please pray for Santa Barbara.

Status
Not open for further replies.