Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Woody guy is everywhere with his camera!

taxi_crew.jpg

joseph42s

I hear that they were switching the routes from San Diego to Santa Barbara since no one wants to go to Mexico anymore. On another shitty note, my parents have to move again. They lost their house Nov of last year on Mountain Drive, now they lost the Garrage at their rental house which contained all of the basis for the utilities to the house. So they have to move again. Good thing I don't leave my boats there otherwise I would of had two chances in less then 6 months to loose them.

condor

Anarchist
Hi, all -

Thanks to all for the good wishes. It's true, the condor roost is toast. We actully found out about it from a pic on the web about 8:30 Wednesday night, around 4 hours after it burned.

But let me tell you about the week. We had a great Yachting Cup, coming second in our fleet to Hot Rum (who I have never beaten around the buoys). Sunday night coming north was beautiful, one of those great nights you get offshore - moon shining on the water, some clouds, not much wind - an easy trip to Avalon. Got some gas, a brief stop in Avalon, and off we go.

Then things started to turn. About 25 miles north of Catalina, the outboard started giving us trouble, finally quitting about 3 PM. Started sailing, and the wind kept building. We hit the coast just up from Pt. Dume, by then the wind's at around 23-27. Beat all the way into Channel Islands harbor, geting in the breakwater after midnight. Winds were above 18 the whole way, and nasty swells to crash through and over.

Newly repaired traveller leaked badly (have to talk to that guy). The vent cap in the foredeck washed out at some point, so we had a three-inch hole in the foredeck while taking on green water on many waves. Everything wet below.

Went back on Tuesday and hauled everything out and dried as much as possible. Got the call that a fire was starting while doing that. By the time I got home, we're in the evac area. We stayed until Wednesday afternoon when the winds kicked up. House probably went up within an hour after we left.

My brother in Singapore found this one on the web after I told him. It's our house:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sb...05233.htmlstory

Everyone's safe, boat came home yesterday, so we're getting along. Big new project to tackle now...

Thanks again to everyone for all the good wishes and thoughts. We'll see you on Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatherer

Ventura
I hear that they were switching the routes from San Diego to Santa Barbara since no one wants to go to Mexico anymore. On another shitty note, my parents have to move again. They lost their house Nov of last year on Mountain Drive, now they lost the Garrage at their rental house which contained all of the basis for the utilities to the house. So they have to move again. Good thing I don't leave my boats there otherwise I would of had two chances in less then 6 months to loose them.
"Santa Barbara- where old people go to visit their parents"....

Sorry about your parents' troubles, though. let's hope that the fires are gone for a loooong time... :D

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Sooo, did anyone do the Hardway Race yesterday? I was stuck in my office, but it looked like 3 knots of wind from here to Santa Cruz Island. :(

J.A.G.

I sailed the UCSB Sailing Alumni regatta yesterday. The current team provided a great lunch spread at the dock, rigged the boats, provided great race management and supplied wonderful and friendly current sailors to crew for us old-timers. I didn't attend the post race BBQ, but I'm sure the fun times got better.

I was thoroughly impressed with the maturity of the current sailing team. Falling around in an FJ after so long couldn't have been more fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Good on 'ya JAG. A few more weeks till the gals start sailing Flippin Fridays on the FJ's. We have found it difficult to race and drink at the same time in those little frackers.

Mr. and Mrs. Thump checked out a power boat in Oxnard yesterday. Rut Roh. :huh:

Any results on the Skiff Regatta? Looked like a good turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts