Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ball Breaker

We had a J92 going 22.75 knots two years ago. (this boat is 4 feet shorter than a J105) Thought the wheels were going too come off. Raced to Hawaii on Ragtime a number of years ago and hit 28.6 knots down a wave with only 29 knots of true wind speed :blink: Not bad for a 40 year old oversized Thunderbird.

Raced too Cabo on Ragtime with 40 knots true wind and were flat out planning at 26 knots for an hour straight. (this was against the infamous Tom Blackhaller)

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
The Melges 24 will be out in force as well. We will have 10 to 12 boats.

BB - That would be excellent. I am hoping to grow the Fiesta Cup into an important one design regatta on the central coast. It has already grown by 2 fold in the last 2 years. Like I said, the folks that can make it happen are the (cheer)leaders of the one design fleets. It took me a couple of years to get the J/105's to put it on their yearly schedule, but it has been a great event for them and most stuck around to do Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race. Double bonus. David Voss has been an inspiring leader of the SoCal Farr 40 fleet. He knows how to gather the troops. Plus he always surprises us with a catered MaiTai & hor's dourves party on the dock when you step off the boat. I know you will be supplying the usual free keg at the beach party. Last year Voss was quoted as saying "I can't believe I just did 3 races and am now sitting at a table on the beach with a free Margarita and free Mexican buffet. As good as it gets. Thanks!

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Santa Barbarians Ron Boehm and Pete Molher showed a lot of fortitude in last weekend's I 14 National Championship down at ABYC where it was blowing dogs off chains. 6th place out of 22. Nice work. Next stop Sydney.

Ron___Pete_NA__s_2.jpg

photo by Chris Love

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Sending all good thoughts and hopes to long time bowman (Grand Illusion and Sorcery) Jeff Sneddon (aka Cabin Boy). He's been battling stomach cancer at the young age of 42. Presently recovering from an 8 hour surgery. Hang in there pal! Mucho hugs from me and the multitude that have sailed with you.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED!

Skippers who normally rely on pros to make every decision, rule interpretation, turn of the wheel should not be allowed to leave the harbor without same.

Last night was a good example of this as da Doc blatently fouled the SC 52, not once but twice. A port starboard situation which put both crews in jeporady when she froze at the wheel and the SC had to react quickly. Flags were flow, protest, request to do her circles but she blissfully sailed on only to foul the same boat at the weather mark in the 3 boat length circle. Clueless.

Thank God we all made it to the bar safely. :unsure:

Crew

Anarchist
some airport
DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED!
Skippers who normally rely on pros to make every decision, rule interpretation, turn of the wheel should not be allowed to leave the harbor without same.

Last night was a good example of this as da Doc blatently fouled the SC 52, not once but twice. A port starboard situation which put both crews in jeporady when she froze at the wheel and the SC had to react quickly. Flags were flow, protest, request to do her circles but she blissfully sailed on only to foul the same boat at the weather mark in the 3 boat length circle. Clueless.

Thank God we all made it to the bar safely. :unsure:
Wow that must be one fast J105 to foul a 52 at the start and then foul them agian at the top mark.

Regards,

Crew

Ball Breaker

Looks like we will be having a nice turn out of Melges 24's in the Sailing Club's Goblin Regatta!!! :) !!! 7 or 8 boats. Chris Sow from North Sails San Diego will be racing his boat as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff7890

So Janer were you on the SC 52 that was fouled? Or were you just an observer and this is your unbiased observation? Please find a thearapist and get a handle on your hate will ya? Life is short and beer cans are supposed to be fun....

condor

Anarchist
I'm disappointed that the Sailing Club has elected to remove PHRF boats from their Goblin Regatta. It's always been a part of our calendar, and the past couple years the ball has been fun.

Hope it works out well for them, and they get a lot of the one-design boats, though.

So now with SBSC dropping PHRF in their events, for weekend events for PHRF buoy racing, we're down to three between Opening Day and Holiday, unless you travel.

Peder

I'm disappointed that the Sailing Club has elected to remove PHRF boats from their Goblin Regatta. It's always been a part of our calendar, and the past couple years the ball has been fun.
Hope it works out well for them, and they get a lot of the one-design boats, though.

So now with SBSC dropping PHRF in their events, for weekend events for PHRF buoy racing, we're down to three between Opening Day and Holiday, unless you travel.

Someone said that it's supposed to make local sailing better!!! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ball Breaker

So why is PHRF being dropped in the Santa Barbara Sailing Club Goblin Regatta? If the phrf boats can get a class together wouldn't another class be a good thing?

condor

Anarchist
Condor,Why aren't you including Spring, Summer and Fall PHRF Regattas, Wilson, Goleta, Shorthanded, etc? jw
I said round-the-bouys racing. Wilson is distance, shorthanded (which we generally do) is more of a special event. Spring, Summer, and Fall PHRF are the only events left if SBSC eliminates PHRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.