Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chica-loca

It was a long but beautiful day for racing in the CHRF fleet. 22 boats showed up to fight a lot of current and light flukey winds for the pursuit race. We (on the J/130) had an interesting encounter trying to get to the weather mark. We were on port and thought we could cross in front of Zephyr but it was too close. They yelled and called protest as they altered course, however they did pass behind us by about 40 feetl, so I guess they altered a bit too much. We got a puff about 5 minutes later so decided it was a good time to do a penalty turn (always ugly in light air). But then low and behold we are still trying to get to the mark and now on Starboard, here is Zehyr on port and they turn the wheel so hard that they have stalled the rudder and foul us. We flew someones red shirt. Did they do their turns? Anyway we got third place. Don Poppe took first. Chica Loca was on the boat that was deemed best start. Several boats did not make the sundown cutoff time. The Santa Barbara mountains look so beautiful at this time of year and cocktails in the bar at sunset are epic.
It was certainly a beautiful day but the current and swell was deadly for our Harbor 20. If Zephyr didn't do their turns, we might have done them for them just trying get around the stinking weather mark! It was one of those fluky no wind big swell events where there were at least 10 boats bunched up trying to get to the same place flying jibs or spinnakers and everyone was being taken in a different direction. At one point Second Wind was on the same tack as we were and they were headed to toward Shoreline Park while we were going to the islands. Big boats were passing us. Our sails don't reach high enough into the sky to get whatever the rest of you were getting. Too bad the wind died because going to the weather mark in the light breeze we were picking off boats left and right. Ah, such is the fickle fortune doled out by mother nature! Better than mowing the lawn, though....

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
More 80 degree weather coming right up. Anyone want to sail FJ's this weekend?

Hike_out_girl.jpg

condor

Anarchist
Thursday is looking lovely. The bottom drops out of the mercury tube Saturday with temps plunging 20 degrees or more.
Mark -

Thanks for the heads-up.

On a related note, how does next weekend look (Dec 5-6)? We have two-day event going on then.

Thanks.

chica-loca

View attachment 123380
Friday afternoon would be great! Janer, if we can't get any other takers, want to go out and "practice?" I could use a little helm time with a good teacher. FJ's are the best sailing workout I know--we can work off those unwanted Thanksgiving pounds. Then again, I could wrap up a couple of turkey sandwiches and we could take out the Harbor 20 and a bottle of vino. It has CUSHIONS!! Sweet!

Let me know. Tippy boats would be a pisser!

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
View attachment 123380
Friday afternoon would be great! Janer, if we can't get any other takers, want to go out and "practice?" I could use a little helm time with a good teacher. FJ's are the best sailing workout I know--we can work off those unwanted Thanksgiving pounds. Then again, I could wrap up a couple of turkey sandwiches and we could take out the Harbor 20 and a bottle of vino. It has CUSHIONS!! Sweet!

Let me know. Tippy boats would be a pisser!
I vote for the wine and cheese version. Harbor 20's are puuuurfect for that:)

66121258703_0_SM.jpg

Spooner

PNW
Mr. Mad Max

Sounds like you are chiding sailor girls on Thanksgiving. Why? You should read the "life is crap" thread and be thankful and try to be nice.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Spooner,

No chiding whatsoever.

Harbor 20's are great and fun boats. I sail one in Newport harbor every once in a while. And you have to have cheese with wine, especially on a boat. The Harbor 20 is stable, fun to sail and worthy of one handed driving.

The pic is Zoe learning how to eat and was meant to show that sailing and food can be messy, especially red wine.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

PS Why would I ever read a downer thread, there is lots to be happy for.

IMG_5536.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

chica-loca

Spooner,No chiding whatsoever.

Harbor 20's are great and fun boats. I sail one in Newport harbor every once in a while. And you have to have cheese with wine, especially on a boat. The Harbor 20 is stable, fun to sail and worthy of one handed driving.

The pic is Zoe learning how to eat and was meant to show that sailing and food can be messy, especially red wine.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

PS Why would I ever read a downer thread, there is lots to be happy for.
Thank you, Max, for sticking up for the Harbor 20. Our crew certainly ascribes to your snack-and-tack philosophy!

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
I had a great "first sail" of the SC 27 California Zepher today. I-14 Champion Ron Boehm brought it to SB last week. On board we had Ron and his wife and I-14 sailor Jeri. Very, very light air but the boat moves well in the slightest puff. Needs some TLC but a pleasure to sail. We looked at one chute when wind permitted. A very nice bottle of wine augmented our our trial run. Ron and Pete M are off to Australia soon for the I-14 Worlds. Sounds like the Zepher will be active in PHRF and CHRF racing, some of the time with an all girl crew. Excellent.

Back at SBYC I arrived just in time for Matt's birthday celebration. The infamous Matt Wilson, master of yacht racing and fishing, and delightful quips.

Matt__s_birthday_cake.jpg

chica-loca

I had a great "first sail" of the SC 27 California Zepher today. I-14 Champion Ron Boehm brought it to SB last week. On board we had Ron and his wife and I-14 sailor Jeri. Very, very light air but the boat moves well in the slightest puff. Needs some TLC but a pleasure to sail. We looked at one chute when wind permitted. A very nice bottle of wine augmented our our trial run. Ron and Pete M are off to Australia soon for the I-14 Worlds. Sounds like the Zepher will be active in PHRF and CHRF racing, some of the time with an all girl crew. Excellent.
Back at SBYC I arrived just in time for Matt's birthday celebration. The infamous Matt Wilson, master of yacht racing and fishing, and delightful quips.

View attachment 123692
Yo, Matt-aie,

I think you are missing a few birthday candles, dude! Is that Lee Sandow in the photo to your right???! Another classic, if so.

I'm too stinking busy at work for the holiday regatta but am looking forward to lady at the helm on the 13th. Who's in?

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Janer,You spew such evil......did someone do something to you to make you such an unhappy person or were you just this way from birth? I have never seen so much venom come from someone... you must have something in your life that makes you very unhappy.

Remember a while back when this newbie was posting all kinds of malicious posts? Just one after another like some kinda gang banger with nothing to do?

Oddly enough sailkb = JK3 Yacht Brokerage in San Diego = J/Dealer = Jeff Brown. Why would a J dealer shit in his own business? Slander a person like me who has been active in the J classes for 25 years?

Answer: He is now Dr. Laura's new yacht broker. I think the motto is "We'll do anything for money".

So if you want to send him a get well email his address is [email protected]

(PS Jeff I know you are frantically trying to deleate your posts. Don't bother, I already have print outs and photos)

Find a new hobby besides slandering people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. Be a grown up. An apology would be a good start.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Janer,You spew such evil......did someone do something to you to make you such an unhappy person or were you just this way from birth? I have never seen so much venom come from someone... you must have something in your life that makes you very unhappy.

Remember a while back when this newbie was posting all kinds of malicious posts? Just one after another like some kinda gang banger with nothing to do?

Oddly enough sailkb = JK3 Yacht Brokerage in San Diego = J/Dealer = Jeff Brown. Why would a J dealer shit in his own business? Slander a person like me who has been active in the J classes for 25 years?

Answer: He is now Dr. Laura's new yacht broker. I think the motto is "We'll do anything for money".

So if you want to send him a get well email his address is [email protected]

(PS Jeff I know you are frantically trying to deleate your posts. Don't bother, I already have print outs and photos)

Find a new hobby besides slandering people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. Be a grown up. An apology would be a good start.
i don't say much about anything you kooks post, but outing people is not cool. do it again and you'll get a time out. and how about you back off on a bit of your vitriol, eh honey? oh and how fascinating to note that janer, spooner dupree4 and dls all use the same ip addresses...i think i'll blow those sock puppets up for starters...

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
I guess you all have some fear of this guy. That's why you deleated his posts. He outed himself BTW, but you deleated that. post. I'm sure he is embarrassed by his indescretion. Point made. Sail on.

Status
Not open for further replies.