Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Beckett if you want to actually win big races and get your name on a trophy you should ask Dr.Laura if you could be part of her crew or you could always get your own boat which for you would probably be arm floaties and an umbrella :)

INTER 20

For those that were at the skipper's meeting you might remember the mistake in the SIs about the gate. Two boats sailed thru the wrong gate but they were following the SIs and not a verbal correction done at the meeting. The other boat was PT2 which also had pros on board. In the real world of yacht racing the race should be tossed and resailed. I might have a hard time convincing my wife that this a good idea.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Taxi Dancer skipper dressed and ready for the Lady at the Helm race!
Eddie Izzard skippers Taxi Dancer?!?!

eddie_izzard.jpg

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Haha...

Bump

Anyone have any good videos we can show at the Club during our "fewer races season"

Whitbread, Volvo,Transpac? Even the old ones are entertaining. George Grenough? I have one Transpac and the Hobie Tiger Worlds in SB video. Both are great. Movie night would be fun. Maybe we could fire up the popcorn machine.Let me know what is in your library. Dig.

INTER 20

I'm cravin' some breeze./monthly_11_2010/post-1988-076623300%201289501331_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• repeat offender windy ww.JPG
    repeat offender windy ww.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 2
Haha...

Bump

Anyone have any good videos we can show at the Club during our "fewer races season"

Whitbread, Volvo,Transpac? Even the old ones are entertaining. George Grenough? I have one Transpac and the Hobie Tiger Worlds in SB video. Both are great. Movie night would be fun. Maybe we could fire up the popcorn machine.Let me know what is in your library. Dig.
Did you see the front page Vendee film? Say's that it will be available for download from iTunes...

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Yes Thump, I saw that also. But I do not know how to take an iTunes video and turn it into something on the big screen. Help?

thanks, janer

Nardcore

Yes Thump, I saw that also. But I do not know how to take an iTunes video and turn it into something on the big screen. Help?

thanks, janer
Apple tv its a little box just bigger than an i phone you hook it up to your internet & tv and it compress all video and pictures to fit on the big screen its super easy.. 99 bucks and its wireless

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Thanks Mr. Nard, I will check into that.

This weekend was absolutely beautiful for the 20 University teams who participated in the Fall Dinghy PCC (Lasers and FJ's) hosted by UCSB alums. Temps in the 70's and breeze between 5 and 12 knots. Eight races Saturday and 5 on Sunday. Lots of local kids were racing against each other from various colleges (Berkeley, Hawaii, SC, etc). The final results put the local UCSB Gauchos in first place! Followed by Stanford, Hawaii,U of Oregon, SC, UC Irvine, UC San Diego and UCLA. Congrats to all, especially UCSB.

/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-067941400%201289877366_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Berkeley Team.jpg
    Berkeley Team.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2

condor

Anarchist
Thanks Mr. Nard, I will check into that.

This weekend was absolutely beautiful for the 20 University teams who participated in the Fall Dinghy PCC (Lasers and FJ's) hosted by UCSB alums. Temps in the 70's and breeze between 5 and 12 knots. Eight races Saturday and 5 on Sunday. Lots of local kids were racing against each other from various colleges (Berkeley, Hawaii, SC, etc). The final results put the local UCSB Gauchos in first place! Followed by Stanford, Hawaii,U of Oregon, SC, UC Irvine, UC San Diego and UCLA. Congrats to all, especially UCSB.

/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-067941400%201289877366_thumb.jpg
Go, Grouchos!

40grit

Anarchist
Belated letter to the editor, or question to you folks in Santa Barbara,

While sailing the Lipton Cup Star boat regatta a couple of months back, the organizers made provisions for many of the competitors to simply leave their boats in the water tied to the guest dock. There is no friendlily-er Club to visit for a regatta than Santa Barbara, The Lipton is the high point of our season. Well, the next morning the fleet tied to the guest dock, have all been chained to the dock. aparrently there was some mix up between the Club and the Harbor folk. AKA Goons with Guns, Rather than simply coming over to the club which is three paces away, to figure it out, they decided that we all needed to be taught a lesson with chain, and the lash, and required every team to come forward and present registration, and prof of insurance, and pay the guest slip, all very officious, before removing the chains. The Yacht Club would not let any of us pay the fee and literally stood at the counter and paid for every one of us visitors. my question, are they always like that? was this an isolated incident? is there a turf war? or are they simply Cops being Cops?

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Star Sailor (40Grit)

The incidents regarding docking of the Stars was ridiculous on the part of the Harbor Patrol. We normally have very good relations with the HP and Harbor Department and work together on events such as the SB to King Harbor Race when we have 100 boats coming in from out of town, usually over a 24 hour period which is difficult.

I don't know what fell apart this year. I was appalled when I heard about it and I am glad you reminded me because this needs to be addressed. Maybe Dana Jones, our race director has already delt with it for next year. I know he was really pissed off when it happened. Were there newbies in the HP Office? Someone was doing a power play, that's for sure. It was very regrettable as we at SBYC love hosting the Star Lipton Cup which we have done since 1923. Thanks for the kudos on our hospitality and we will make sure this inconvenience won't happen again.

I was out taking photos this year.

Look forward to seeing you again in 2011.

/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-062006400%201289961436_thumb.jpg

/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-056974100%201289961453_thumb.jpg/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-040581800%201289961470_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• A Star Lipton start.jpg
    A Star Lipton start.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Star mark rounding.jpg
    Star mark rounding.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 1
  • The SBYC Lipton Cup.jpg
    The SBYC Lipton Cup.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1

condor

Anarchist
Dana and the Harbor folks worked this out shortly after the event. There's supposed to be a protocol in place that covers the situation in the future. Don't know details, but basically somehow the club will handle the slip fee payments for visitors in those regatta situations.

This is what we do for the SB-KH race, which has worked well for over thirty years on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Sadly, RP passed away yesterday. Stories about him will live on forever. Condolences to his sons and daughter; all of the Yabsley family and all of RP's prior girlfriends. No one will ever be like RP. He lived it to the fullest.

/monthly_11_2010/post-1224-082692000%201290033931_thumb.jpg

Pictured: R.P. Richards and Pat Griffin.

Two "to the max" partiers.

Well loved RP, past owner of Taxi Dancer, is in failing health at age 89, and now living at Samarkand, if you want to visit him. He cut a mean rug on the dance floor until about 2 years ago. A real Santa Barbara icon. I remember being in Cabo with Taxi and for the "fun race" he said "Janie, I want you to get as many women on the boat as possible, hopefully in bikini's" In the race, he was driving and suddenly jumped overboard and other racing boats immediately altered course to help with the rescue. He just laughed and said "Hey I was hot and wanted to cool off" He was about 75 at the time.

Attachments

• RP.jpg
    RP.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.