Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Where's the pics? Big damage on both boats. Paul took a phone pic and supposedly sent it, but I never got it.
Pete you would be a good ambulance chaser attorney!

I bet you slow down on the freeway to look at crashes too.

If this was Nascar, it would just be shoved in the garage and fixed. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Wow, someone did actually get pics

Oops_3.jpg

Oops_4.jpg

Oops_5.jpg

Oops_6.jpg

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
RC, who said anything about not having a job? Put in 80 hours this week, and still spent more time sailing than you. If more of you had kept hiking, Dirk might have had some rudder control. Next time, wear your helmet, like Kenny.

Bobbo

Unfortunatly a Lancer 36 was in the way going upwind straight at them on starboard.
Port / Starboard & windward / leeward boats so how do you figure "in the way"? Surely you mean something else??

I've been in similar situations. No time to react to go below them and no way to go above them, tack or figure out "what the hey??"

It's like watching a car come at you on the wrong side of the road....

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
If more of you had kept hiking, Dirk might have had some rudder control. Next time, wear your helmet, like Kenny.
Bobbo
Bobbo,

We were scrambling to get OFF the rail within seconds of the collision In fact, Jeff was screaming for us to get off the rail. Otherwise, our legs would have been crushed by the Lancer scraping down our port side. You weren't there. Your comments are neither needed nor productive.

Ball Breaker

Holy Crap. Didn't see the wreck....but the pictures tell all. Incredibly lucky that no one was hurt. The Farr will be good as new when repaired.

Brettmx

Anarchist

Fuck!. That is ugly.

I knew I should have driven down to watch but I figured it was too windy and folks wouldn't head out in a gear breaking outing.

I have to say though the guy driving the Lancer should have recognized the situation and gotten the hell out of the way. Seeing that Farr 40 barreling along on the edge would have caused most folks to chuck the rules book and tack the hell out of there. Fortunately no one was hurt.

slater-san

Anarchist
First off glad no one was hurt. Can anyone explain why in all of the pics the Farr seems to be turning up into the Lancer? Granted the rudder was probably loaded up and it might not have done much but WTF?

Oops_3.jpg

And what if the Lancer tries to pull off a tack at the last minute and the Farr still nails him....then it's his fault for tacking too close.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
First off glad no one was hurt. Can anyone explain why in all of the pics the Farr seems to be turning up into the Lancer? Granted the rudder was probably loaded up and it might not have done much but WTF?
Dude Slater: You need to read the definition of a "round up". You have obviously never experienced one.

View attachment 42651

And what if the Lancer tries to pull off a tack at the last minute and the Farr still nails him....then it's his fault for tacking too close.
Dude: You need to read the definition of "tacking too close". Does not apply here.

slater-san

Anarchist
Dude: You need to read the definition of "tacking too close". Does not apply here.
Dude, usually when I'm on a boat that spins out, we at least try to fight it with helm. We don't have pics of what went on before the initial impact, but this pic clearly shows the helm is down which is helping spin the Farr into the Lancer...

Oops_3.jpg

...and it was suggested above that the Lancer should have tried to avoid the Farr. They could've either bore off across your bow (probably not easy cause they were likely loaded up too)....or tacked, which would've made them sitting ducks in front of you as burdened/tacking vessel.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
What you don't see in the pictures, was they were both passing a mark, both of them trying to finish.

It is to leeward of them and they were both on layline.

The rudder was hard over on the Farr for at least 5 boatlengths as they fought with it. It was clear from the YC. Then they hit the motherlode puff. It was a slow crash on the Farr and the chute blew out before the impact.

That was the gnarliest nastist puff of the evening.

The Farr was on edge in 25 and sailed into a 35 plus puff that was roiling across the surface. A few of us saw that puff from the club.

Results have been posted for the Melges 24 Pacific Coast Championships race out of the San Francisco Yacht Club this weekend (pre-worlds tune up). With 32 boats competing our own Average White Melon finished 11th and Lounge Act came in at 16th!!

KP, nice job on your first Melges regatta and even more impressive when you look at the fleet and your hull number!

thump

1 649 Full Throttle Porter, Brian 8.00

2 505 Pegasus Ullman, David 16.00

3 492 Pegasus Kahn, Shark 19.00

4 555 Ego Jesberg, Donald 19.00

5 631 West Marine Rigging Larson, Chris 23.00

6 637 Monsoon Ayres, Bruce 27.00

7 657 taboo Pugh, Stephen 37.00

8 630 Rock N' Roll Campbell, Argyle 44.00

9 678 Pegasus 678 Kahn, Philippe 45.00

10 587 WTF Field, Alan 48.00

11 303 Average White Boat Pierce, Kent 51.00

12 617 All or None Doubek, Chris 59.00

13 679 Gannet Mueller von Blumencron, Othmar 63.00

14 52 Derivative Surber, Mark 68.00

15 575 Pegasus 575 Christensen, Mark 68.00

16 556 lounge act Colahan, Loren 70.00

17 449 Flying Circus Russell, Tim 77.00

18 397 Grinder Littfin, Jeff 80.00

19 180 TBD Forster, Douglas 82.00

20 498 Personal Puff Hauserman, Dan 83.00

303.jpg

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
I too am totally stoked over these results! For KP's first regatta in the Melges he kicked ass.

The boats above him are all huge seasoned competitors. The Loungers were not far behind and also new to the class, your work paid off.

Congrats to all from SBYC.

You rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts