Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Full Circle,

Well, there are not always good reports about our local yard, especially if you are on a time line.

I'm headed to Santa Cruz tomorrow..and Sharon Green just called me and said it's blowing stink up there too. Like 25 and so the Pegasus crew did not go out for their photo shoot. Yikes.

Kelp

Super Anarchist
10 am Saturday

West channel buoy 25 knots

14 WSW at the yacht club

Can it nuke again??

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
hey janer;
why is the farr 40 pulled out of the water in ventura and not santa barbara? what are they working on?

It's elementary My Dear Watson......$$$

Ventura Harbor Boatyard kicks ass. I have used them for 4 years.

They are on quote, on time and they have full service facilities, ie welding, rig repairs, and best of all.... Jack LeMaire, boat man extroardinaire.

They will do bottoms for quotes that are lower and set in stone.

The Local Yard has very high quality, and everything that goes with that.

Some Words that come to mind however are....Satan, Duct tape the office helper, Scissors and attempted stabbing, $5000 for sand paper, grinding a logo off a J 24 with 36 grit on a grinder, you get the picture

As for Ensenada, we lost overall by less time than it took you to read this-32 seconds! We did win our class though!!!

Overall we were very happy to do well in a upwind for 20 hours scenario in 4-10 knots.

Last edited by a moderator:

highcountryrider

You need to do a little homework before you spew like Krakatoa. Corinthians came from the island of Corinth in the med. These people were not very nice.
Might want to check your homework. Corinth is not an island but a city (and province) located on the Isthmus of Corinth which connects the Peloponnese with mainland Greece. Technically, the Peloponnese is an island because in 1893 a 4 mile canal was dug which connects the Ionian and Aegean seas.

Probably going to get my ass flamed for pointing this out on what appears to be a very local-centric thread but in the immortal words of Dubya "Bring it on!"

BTW, I was lucky enough to live in SB (actually Montecito) for a couple of years as a youngster and then did a couple of SB-KH races in the early '90s. I always found the locals to be friendly and helpful if a bit aloof. It is a special place.

corinth.jpg

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Yes it is wild up in Santa Cruz..lots of excitement with all the teams getting ready and the wind BLOWING. The Lounge Act is ready to roll. Here are some pics of our team.. Melges_24_worlds_The_Team__14_.jpg

Skipper Loren looking confident...

Melges_24_worlds_harbor__13_.jpg

Sharon and I had the team over for a bbq last night. Lots of good wine of course. They have weighed in so now are eating hardily. Sharon downloaded her pics for the day and some good surfing shots of Lounge Act. Conditions have calmed from the first day (which was gnarly)..still white caps by about 2 in the afternoon, but hot and sunny. JAG said he was going to post the "Lounge Act World Tour" but haven't seen it yet.

INTER 20

Might want to check your homework. Corinth is not an island but a city (and province) located on the Isthmus of Corinth which connects the Peloponnese with mainland Greece. Technically, the Peloponnese is an island because in 1893 a 4 mile canal was dug which connects the Ionian and Aegean seas.
Probably going to get my ass flamed for pointing this out on what appears to be a very local-centric thread but in the immortal words of Dubya "Bring it on!"

BTW, I was lucky enough to live in SB (actually Montecito) for a couple of years as a youngster and then did a couple of SB-KH races in the early '90s. I always found the locals to be friendly and helpful if a bit aloof. It is a special place.

View attachment 43591
Thanks for the lesson on geography but they were still jerks.

Kelp

Super Anarchist
So The Doc crushes PHRF 2 at San Diego Yachting Cup with 5 bullets, several races by over 2 minutes corrected, and nobody cares to comment?

Interesting...

INTER 20

So The Doc crushes PHRF 2 at San Diego Yachting Cup with 5 bullets, several races by over 2 minutes corrected, and nobody cares to comment?
Interesting...
Isn't it obvious that the sailing talent in Santa Barbara is far better. San Diego couldn't even keep the Americas Cup... unless they sailed a big cat. Bring the regatta to Santa Barbara and it wouldn't even be that close.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
What I heard was that if you can set a chute sideways and still correct out by two minutes then it's time for someone to look at your boat modifications and your rating. But that's just hearsay..

INTER 20

What I heard was that if you can set a chute sideways and still correct out by two minutes then it's time for someone to look at your boat modifications and your rating. But that's just hearsay..
Can't we just congratulate them on a job well done. If there is flaw in their rating, it's not their fault but PHRF's. If they got DFL everyrace by 2 minutes, would you lobby for an improvement in their rating? Probably not.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
She usually handles her own accolades and press releases. Did you see the giant headlines after Ahmanson? DR. LAURA WINS REGATTA. Crap she failed to mention that she was on the boat only two of the five races and didn't give credit to the helmsman..

anyway Congratulations to local Bernie and Rock & Roll who had great finishes in both regattas in the big one-design J-105 Fleet..over 20 boats.

sailsb

It wasn't sideways it was upside down :rolleyes:

And 2 min. must have been the time we were trying to collect Kelp (I did not think we were going to let the comp get that close)

Just to be clear I am not taking any sides but if there are mods to the boat they are under water or in the construction of the boat. I have not seen anything obviously modified. The boat is NEW no added junk that usually makes it was into a phrf boat ie. silverware, plates, BBQ, weekend clothing, etc. Not to mention the fact that it has a full arsenal of sails for any wind condition. Crew work on the boat is well organized and efficient, and like him or not you can't say that the tactician doesn't know what he is doing. put all of these together on any boat and it is going to be fast add an owner who wants to win and is willing to pay the price for it, mix in an already known fast Jboat and you get Bullets. Now am I saying that the rating is fair or accurate, Not for me to decide that is what the committees are for.

Now before I get a hailstorm of fire, I can't wait for the Farr to come back One Design is where it is at. You eliminate all of this speculation and while I do enjoy racing on the Doc when you are so far ahead of the competition it really isn't that much fun might as well be out for an afternoon sail.

On another note I overheard the owner of another J145 based in SD "Bad Pak" it had a different name but it slips me at the moment anyway he wants to start racing it so maybe we will see another competitive 145 soon and then all of these theories will be answered.

INTER 20

She usually handles her own accolades and press releases. Did you see the giant headlines after Ahmanson? DR. LAURA WINS REGATTA. Crap she failed to mention that she was on the boat only two of the five races and didn't give credit to the helmsman..
I missed the memo that said winning is a crime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts