Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
White_bunny.jpg

GRRRR....

Do you know why women don't have brains? Because they don't have a small fleshy appendage to store them in.
Small heh? That's a bummer. Have you tried one of the pump thingys? You know old "what's his name" has one and he gets plenty of chicks, brains or no brains.

Excellent sailing last night. Where are the pictures?

sailsb

Small heh? That's a bummer. Have you tried one of the pump thingys? You know old "what's his name" has one and he gets plenty of chicks, brains or no brains.
Excellent sailing last night. Where are the pictures?
pictures are coming having card reader problems

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Photo Op,

Well it's 9pm on Thurs and I know you are doing an early morning delivery of the Farr, so maybe no pics till Monday, after Cal Race Week. It was literally a blast driving you around on the Whaler. Perfect 14 knots and I know you got great pics of The Dock, Taxi, the J classes and especially the M24 Average White Boat. It was hard to keep up with them on the reach, and then the round up by Bebe, when I had to punch it to get out of their way. Yikes.

The AWB packed up the boat after the race to head for Delta Ditch. I want some pics of that Max!

(Photo Op, if you look at the pics of San Diego Weds Race they are mostly of boats with mains only sort of motoring around looking for wind..so we need to show DA Woody that he needs a bigger lens and more action..work it baby.)

AWB is packed and ready to roll!

Tim and I are rolling out at 4a to make the insane schedule we're shooting for which includes dropping the boat off at the Richmond Yacht Club then shuffling down to Oakland Airport to pick up a crew van. From there it's the beautiful drive to Stockton where we'll leave the truck and trailer. After that it's back to RYC to tune up the AWB and get her ready to step on early AM. Then back to Oakland Airport to pick up Mr. and Mrs. MadMax, Melonhead, and Mrs. Thump.

As of tonight there are 123 boats registered. The scratch sheet can be seen here if you'd like to check out the boats http://www.stocktonsc.org/ditch/Ditch2007_...Ditch%20Run.htm Forecast is looking good and we hope to stay off the mud. We'll do our best to get some shots but the Yabsolutely crew told us they did over two hundred gybes last year and in 25kts we might have our hands full.

Wind chart from yesterday from Sherman Island section:

Rio.gif

For those of you heading to Cal Race Week, have a great time! Look forward to sharing some stories.

thump

sailsb

Photo Op,Well it's 9pm on Thurs and I know you are doing an early morning delivery of the Farr, so maybe no pics till Monday, after Cal Race Week. It was literally a blast driving you around on the Whaler. Perfect 14 knots and I know you got great pics of The Dock, Taxi, the J classes and especially the M24 Average White Boat. It was hard to keep up with them on the reach, and then the round up by Bebe, when I had to punch it to get out of their way. Yikes.

The AWB packed up the boat after the race to head for Delta Ditch. I want some pics of that Max!

(Photo Op, if you look at the pics of San Diego Weds Race they are mostly of boats with mains only sort of motoring around looking for wind..so we need to show DA Woody that he needs a bigger lens and more action..work it baby.)
Ok Ok for those of you who can't wait here are a few of this last ww shots more to come on monday

IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1137_1.JPG

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
The Ditch Forecast!!!!!!!!!!!

SAT...SW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.

PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING.

.SAT NIGHT...SW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT DECREASING TO 5 TO 15 KT OVERNIGHT.

Remember grasshopper, Flat water, Shallow, Narrow, Puffy as shit.

FUN

This regatta is a buglight for trailer trash boats.

If I get a chance, and I mean that quite literally, when I am not white knuckling it, I will shoot some pics and vids.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.A.G.

Ditchers-

Stick to Jesberg's tail all the way until the final gybe-- where you roll him! He knows all the tricks to getting to Stockton fast. Have a great time!

JAG

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Ditchers-
Stick to Jesberg's tail all the way until the final gybe-- where you roll him! He knows all the tricks to getting to Stockton fast. Have a great time!

JAG
Well I guess JAG called it. Jesberg won, but Average White Melons did very well 23rd out of what 150 boats. Good job guys!

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
A really good weekend for all the Santa Barbara sailors at Cal Race Week. In the J/105 Class Bernie's Rock n' Roll took third place, The Doc took first in the 40 Class and Skien Dhu took 2nd in the Farr 40 Class. Mark Noble's Escapade was in second place in the 105's after the first day but fell back to I think 5th at the end.

The conditions were fairly light..8 to 12 knots with heavy overcast and pretty chilly. We had a great time on Skian Dhu, our first one design race with the Farr 40's. We had no great expectations but were just happy to be back on the water after 5 weeks in the yard. The first day with three races we were very happy with our upwind speed, little dicey on the downwind but still had good finishes. Our worst finish was a fiver, but we were overlapped with two other boats at the finish line so it was about 5 seconds between each of us which is what makes one-design so much more exciting. Today was a bell ringer, two bullets. Great team work and a great crew and our skipper, Mr. Calm & Collected Dirk, was on his game. Muchos kudos to all on our team.

Some trophy pics to follow

Cal_Race_Week_003.jpg

Cal_Race_Week_002.jpg

Cal_Race_Week_004.jpg

Cal_Race_Week_006.jpg

I have to add that the key to our success was not just good tacticians, good helmsmanship and a cohesive crew of dedicated friends. No. It was that we gave out crew "trophies" on the way to the start line on the second day. These trophies included things that make farting noises and things that make pieces of candy fall out of your nose and other things I cannot disclose. We will not reveal where these things can be bought, so don't ask.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
We survived the Ditch.

Don Jesberg, Melges 24 "Ego", has won this thing the last 4 years overall or something and though our expectations were to WIN, the Ditch is not just your average downwind sail.

Shoals, current, corners, shifts, bridges, BIG PUFFS, did I say shoals, misc channel markers, the Ditch is a wild ride at times. We finished as the third M 24 and were 4 th boat down the course until a couple of lead mines passed us right at the end. We were the 6 th boat across the line out of 120+ boats. GOOD TIMES.

80 degree air, 12-25 knots, tons of spinnaker reaching and full tilt planning. Melges 24's are very fast in flat water reaching and the ride was at times more like a motor boat. Which, BTW adds to the serenity of this race. Full on v8 powered jet boats going by at 100 mph adds to the experience.

Fun time was had by all. If you want to do something different, I mean REALLY different, sign up for the Ditch next year!

The gritty details: This regatta is a trailer boats dream. In fact it is a Bug Light for trailer boats. Drop your boat in the water at Richmond day before race. Take trailer to Stockton YC-the finish, then bus ride back to Richmond. We stayed in the city at a nice 4 star hotel, use Hotwire!, then drove over and raced on Saturday. Finish @ 630 pm and put boat away. Had a couple adult beverages, ate some great Tri tip BBQ, went back to 4 star hotel in city after dropping boat at Richmond YC for the night. No way can you park a truck and trailer in the city!

DSC02178.JPG

DSC02193.JPG

DSC02214.JPG

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02234.JPG

DSC02238.JPG

DSC02242.JPG

DSC02241.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.