Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifebeater

Good job Santa Barbara crew in the Ditch Run. Looking at the results it looks like the Wabbits are fast on that race course.

Where's Mrs. Thump????
Thanks for asking dox2... the boys forgot to mention that MM & Thump also got to style their wives w/ dinner on Friday night at the Farallon, a full day of shopping in Union Square SF (while they sailed), then another fab dinner at Cafe Tiramisu. Who says that if you don't sail you won't have fun? Next year, tho, I plan to be on the h2o.

Cheers!

Mrs. Thump B)

Here's the wind at 2pm from the club... Just saw a dog fly by my window here at work it looked like toto.

windbox.gif.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
what is it with wind and santa barbara this year?

East channel bouy - 1:50 PM, wed, 6 june
Wind Direction (WDIR): W ( 280 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 27.2 kts

Wind Gust (GST): 35.0 kts

Wave Height (WVHT): 7.5 ft

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Jezzz, another gear buster Wet Weds. Any stories?

I did run into a guy at last weekend's Cal Race Week who I really thought might be the infamous bad boy DoRag. This guy did have a dorag like I have never seen, had little rinestones in it. But he was actually a nice guy ..not the DoRag that we love to hate. I got a pic of his "rag"

Cal_Race_Week_001.jpg

Kelp

Super Anarchist
Jezzz, another gear buster Wet Weds. Any stories?
I did run into a guy at last weekend's Cal Race Week who I really thought might be the infamous bad boy DoRag. This guy did have a dorag like I have never seen, had little rinestones in it. But he was actually a nice guy ..not the DoRag that we love to hate. I got a pic of his "rag"

View attachment 45198
Why, why, why...that thing is g#*

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Janer,
How many boats have committed for the Shalhoob regatta? We're going to put a crew together on Blues Crews. Sounds like Amery is going too.

LunerK9
Moondoggie,

I am still trying to round up a herd of cats. Thinking a Harbor 20, Beneteau 32, a couple of Megles and some J/24's and J/105's. I think I'll take a J/24. It would be nice if it was a group of smaller boats and not a 70 footer against us, although I certainly want participation. Looking forward to Lauren and Jan being out there. Great trophies and my usual "specialty" items to be presented. Talk it up!

Girls just wanna have fun!

Team_pool.jpg

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Went with KK to Mr. Ullman's, well really now it is Mr. Bruce Cooper's loft this week for a tour of a contemporary sail loft. Was very nice to see the new facility. Ullman sails is last of the large mega lofts in SoCal. EP sails is still alive and doing well, but is a much smaller volume deal. The cutter was cool, the elevated floor was very cool. Sewing machine pits, and elevated floors to the edge for doing luff curves. Much to my suprise I ran into a seamstress that I worked with in 1984! She is the lead seamstress now.

Lot of interesting materials including Cuben-Fibre. Dave's Melges 24 main was made of it and he claimed they were 3-4 times the cost of Carbon. Cut a piece off the roll to take home. The stuff is made of Spectra and some sort of bonded interlocking polymer. It is put in a a auto clave and cooked. It comes in 9 meter long sheets. The stuff is very unstable and is sensitive to humidity fluctuations. It has to be glued only together and is ONLY good for one regatta because it shrinks and gets flatter with age!!! And by age, he meant 2-4 days.

Bruce and Dave are still running the loft day to day but it appears that Dave is focusing on his stuff and new designs as well as the oversea's made String Sails. They were making their first FT-10 one design sails, which should be fast. Dave was watching their construction like an expectant father.

Dave was still high on his M-24 worlds victory and was happy to be spending more and more time in SB. He seems to laugh at the age deal (M-24 press) that was made so much of, says he feels faster now than ever.

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02256.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

EWS

Super Anarchist
Went with KK to Mr. Ullman's, well really now it is Mr. Bruce Cooper's loft this week for a tour of a contemporary sail loft. Was very nice to see the new facility. Ullman sails is last of the large mega lofts in SoCal. EP sails is still alive and doing well, but is a much smaller volume deal. The cutter was cool, the elevated floor was very cool. Sewing machine pits, and elevated floors to the edge for doing luff curves. Much to my suprise I ran into a seamstress that I worked with in 1984! She is the lead seamstress now.
Lot of interesting materials including Cuben-Fibre. Dave's Melges 24 main was made of it and he claimed they were 3-4 times the cost of Carbon. Cut a piece off the roll to take home. The stuff is made of Spectra and some sort of bonded interlocking polymer. It is put in a a auto clave and cooked. It comes in 9 meter long sheets. The stuff is very unstable and is sensitive to humidity fluctuations. It has to be glued only together and is ONLY good for one regatta because it shrinks and gets flatter with age!!! And by age, he meant 2-4 days.

Bruce and Dave are still running the loft day to day but it appears that Dave is focusing on his stuff and new designs as well as the oversea's made String Sails. They were making their first FT-10 one design sails, which should be fast. Dave was watching their construction like an expectant father.

Dave was still high on his M-24 worlds victory and was happy to be spending more and more time in SB. He seems to laugh at the age deal (M-24 press) that was made so much of, says he feels faster now than ever.
Max,

So I take it the FT10 sails are in the pic? Carbon Fiberpath? I'll be curious to see what they decided on. Thanks.

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Santa Barbara? Any boats there? Any racing?

isn't Taxi Dancer in santa barbara now?
Dear Newbie,

You will find in time that some things said on SA are actually "tongue in cheek" aka, ridiculous, or bullshit, or outrageous or blah, blah, blah. Since you are reading a post from December '06..things may become clearer or muddier as you catch up.

penguin_slap.gif

HEY MAX, NICE REPORT ON THE LOFT! THANKS.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
Max,
So I take it the FT10 sails are in the pic? Carbon Fiberpath? I'll be curious to see what they decided on. Thanks.

I think that was a Carbon Fiberpath Sail.

That is Dave in the first picture monitoring the luff curve that was decided on for the jib.

That sure is one nice thing about Ullman Sails, Dave Ullman personally designs them and monitors the prototypes very, very closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts