Santa Barbara Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
If you have a boat anywhere in SO CAL but particulary in Santa Barbara or Oxnard/Ventura I suggest you go secure everything that might get blown away/over by strong winds. You have about 16 hours before the wind event gets going full tilt.

knuckles

Super Anarchist
Keyboard
If you have a boat anywhere in SO CAL but particulary in Santa Barbara or Oxnard/Ventura I suggest you go secure everything that might get blown away/over by strong winds. You have about 16 hours before the wind event gets going full tilt.
Northwest breeze after a low passes through, or strong Santa Ana?

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
word is a TP52 is coming to town
Hmm - fairly shallow talent pool for big boats there in sb - hope there's no yelling

re the wind, same like last week I guess, starting NW and clocking right

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

345 AM PST THU JAN 4 2007

...HIGH WIND WARNINGS FOR THE MOUNTAINS OF SANTA BARBARA...VENTURA

AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES AND THE SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST..

...WIND ADVISORIES ISSUED FOR THE VALLEYS OF VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES

COUNTIES AND FOR THE COASTAL STRIP FROM THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS THROUGH

MALIBU..

.A COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THROUGH SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TODAY THROUGH THIS

EVENING. THE MAIN IMPACT OF THIS SYSTEM WILL BE TO USHER IN ANOTHER

ROUND OF GUSTY NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN

CALIFORNIA.

GUSTY NORTHWEST TO NORTH WINDS WILL BEGIN AFTER THE COLD FRONT

MOVES THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING WITH THE STRONGEST

WINDS INITIALLY IN SANTA BARBARA COUNTY AND THROUGH THE INTERSTATE

5 CORRIDOR NEAR THE GRAPEVINE. THE NORTHERLY WINDS WILL SPREAD INTO

THE VALLEYS OF VENTURA AND LOS ANGELS COUNTIES AND THE COASTAL

STRIP FROM THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS THROUGH MALIBU OVERNIGHT TONIGHT.

BY NOON FRIDAY...THE WINDS WILL BEGIN TO SHIFT TO THE NORTHEAST..

RESULTING IN A SUBSTANTIAL DECREASE IN WINDS ACROSS SANTA BARBARA

COUNTY. HOWEVER...GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE

VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES. WINDS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO

DECREASE SIGNIFICANTLY IN THESE AREAS UNTIL SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

Madmax

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbara
"Hmm - fairly shallow talent pool for big boats there in sb - hope there's no yelling"-Pete M

Pete, there is no shallower pool than the kiddie pool on the MD's ride. I believe you reside there?

We are not talking TP52 campaign. We are not talking major PHRF SB J145 campaign. We are talking Coastal downwind races campaign and some of that tough grissly tactical Santa Barbara PHRF sailing.

You know what I mean....like PHRF B fleet. Know what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
We are not talking TP52 campaign. We are not talking major PHRF SB J145 campaign. We are talking Coastal downwind races campaign and some of that tough grissly tactical Santa Barbara PHRF sailing.
just sayin that most of the locals are already accounted 4 - and a tp52 will need about 13 more. Someones gonna have to rig & jibe that oversize pole & big ayso kites - how many boats in SB already like that? hmm... none?
You know what I mean....like PHRF B fleet. Know what I mean?
ain't that where the hobie 33 races?

Dawg

The last Westerly blow we got a kite boarder at Silver Strand recorded a 58knt gust. Word was that we had a steady 35knts for about 8 to 10 hours.

Anyway the breze is up now but not like the last blow.

J.A.G.

The wind blew a tree across my front yard this evening. Granted, it was the Christmas tree I left for the recycling truck. Nothing like last week's wind and the planted trees blowing over.

Max, if you are thinking of the buyers I'm thinking of, it's not a TP52...

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Holy Cow..I think you are saying that the almost new Melges 32 is bowing out for a bigger faster ride? They only lost one race to the new J145, whose rating will be changed AND should have been tossed for barging at the start! Maybe the Ventucky guys are right about the cash flow of Santa Barbarians. The RO will have to give the wife a bottomless credit card to pull this off.

SMACK.

Gatherer

Ventura
Holy Cow..I think you are saying that the almost new Melges 32 is bowing out for a bigger faster ride? They only lost one race to the new J145, whose rating will be changed AND should have been tossed for barging at the start! Maybe the Ventucky guys are right about the cash flow of Santa Barbarians. The RO will have to give the wife a bottomless credit card to pull this off.SMACK.
Ouuuch!

J.A.G.

They're going to hit Sequoiah’s rating? Why? They never won anything!!
Uh, Pete, I guess you should have done some more sailing in A-fleet last year and looked at how the other J145 sailed AND how they placed... Congratulations for going out and crushing A-fleet in your first regatta. If you think that boat's rating is correct, then you guys are gods. Maybe Dr. Laura should sponsor an America's Cup campaign for SBYC, too. You guys were winning by minutes in your first regatta on a new boat, over other boats that place consistently well at major events. I saw two leeward marks with kites at your masthead streaming going upwind. Come on, Pete. These mistakes should cost a race against other well sailed boats. When you win by the margins you do, how can you possibly believe it is fair?

If you do believe it, maybe you guys can give us a sailing lesson at the club after the Hot Rum.

Status
Not open for further replies.