Santa Cruz 70 - Fleet Roll Call

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Bit of chatter on the Merlin thread about SC 70's. Got me thinking, where are they all now? In the early 2000's they were all on the lake with several in Chicago.
Now there may be 1 or even 0 left in town and a couple in Michigan, and some went back to the left coast I believe...

Anyone want to take a stab a boat names and current ports of call? Here are some names but I have no idea where they live these days...

Nitemare

Blondie

Pied Piper

Mirage

Thanks all I can remember!

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Chance left Sheboygan and went to Detroit, now Equation. Evolution left Sheboygan and went to Michigan as well, still Evolution as far as I know. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I never stepped on what was Cynosure without thinking that it was the nicest boat I ever stepped foot on.  All of them were one of a kind (yes, I get the oxymoron).  

Mid

Super Anarchist
Antipodes-winner.jpg

https://www.darwinambonrace.com.au/antipodes/

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I never stepped on what was Cynosure without thinking that it was the nicest boat I ever stepped foot on.  All of them were one of a kind (yes, I get the oxymoron).  
Evolution  went to the next level. Even though my favorite will always be Cyno, Nick and Rich were OCD squared with the way they took care of that boat. You could run an operating room in the galley of that boat. 

I remember cleaning the bottom a week before the Chi-Mac and noticing a few small blisters on the rudder. I mentioned them, as I should. Few days later the whole damn boat’s on the hard to fix it before the Mac. They didn’t mess around. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Evolution  went to the next level. Even though my favorite will always be Cyno, Nick and Rich were OCD squared with the way they took care of that boat. You could run an operating room in the galley of that boat. 

I remember cleaning the bottom a week before the Chi-Mac and noticing a few small blisters on the rudder. I mentioned them, as I should. Few days later the whole damn boat’s on the hard to fix it before the Mac. They didn’t mess around. 
Were you there for the fuel tank?  I hated the cockpit on Evo.  It would keep me from doing more than one job.  

Something about owning North Sails drove them.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Were you there for the fuel tank?  I hated the cockpit on Evo.  It would keep me from doing more than one job.  
Pretty sure I’m the one who gave you the whole detailed fuel tank horror story, and yes, I was there for every horrible minute, hour, and days. 

Edit:  That is the one and only thing I will forever hate about that boat. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Pretty sure I’m the one who gave you the whole detailed fuel tank horror story, and yes, I was there for every horrible minute, hour, and days. 

Edit:  That is the one and only thing I will forever hate about that boat. 
I got it from Dan when I picked Cyno up.  I have my own story from a delivery years later but the fuel tank takes the cake.  

Seriously, who wants 100 gals of diesel in their bilge?

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I got it from Dan when I picked Cyno up.  I have my own story from a delivery years later but the fuel tank takes the cake.  

Seriously, who wants 100 gals of diesel in their bilge?
He was exaggerating. It was only an 85 gallon tank, and we only had about 65 gallons in it. Besides, the weld cracked high enough it could still hold about five gallons. 

I can say this though. It dumped enough diesel into the bilge to overflow the floorboards. That’s how I found the problem. I woke up for my watch and got wet feet. I assumed water because we had an issue on a prop shaft seal the year before. As soon as I went to pull up the floor board, I knew it wasn’t water. 

Then when the whole god damned nightmare went all Groundhog Day on us, and hit us again the next day, well I just don’t want to re-live that again. Ever. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
That's what made it an epic story.  Too funny.  
The only funny part was that doing everything right failed. Saying fuck it and using 5200 to glue a chunk of angle iron on fixed the issue. 

Edit:  I’m still pretty sure satellites could’ve tracked us all the way to Port Huron based on the oil slick left behind. (We tried our best to be responsible)

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
OEX was in Roche Harbor, WA a couple of years ago.  Not sure where now, but she looked gorgeous.

Had the pleasure of racing on several of them, including the first (Blondie) and the last (Orient Express), both for one of the greatest owners ever.... but of all of them, always thought Blondie was something special.  Even among equals, she seemed to have just a little bit extra off the wind.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
My list.... updated as time permits....

SC-70s

Built

Builder

Original name

Original SailNo

Later Name(s)

SC

Merlin

SC

Blondie

Pied Piper 2, Nitemare, Warpath

SC

Kathmandu

Colt-45, Details

SC

Citius

Ole, Thirsty Tiger (GL)

SC

Starlight Express

Donnybrook, Stripes

SC

Pied Piper

Retro, Buono Sera

SC

Hotel California

Grand Illusion

SC

Mongoose

Westerly

SC

Drumbeat

52701?

Cynosure, Windancer

SC

Silver Bullet

Luna Barba, OEX (per Bill Lee)

SC

Chance

SC

Evolution

SC

Donnybrook

Starlight Express?, Neptune's Car

SC

<there wasn't a #13?>

SC

Holua

SC

Mirage

SC

Hotel California II

SC

Chardonnay II (charter)

SC

Pyewacket

US-4

Chessie, Blondie, Skylark (per Bill Lee)
Valkyrie, Maverick,, Catapult

SC

Orient Express

US-93

Equation, then Orient Express again?

1997?

SC-72?

Donnybrook

very different stern, per Bill Lee