Saving an "abandoned" 24

Bowchow

Anarchist
I got word through a buddy of mine that there was a J24 sitting in a field in the Redlands basically rotting away. Long story, but basically the owner just wanted the boat to be sailed again. I can do that!!

I ended up getting it for free, including trailer, decent set of Doyle main and gen, and all the associated hardware. Super excited, as I've raced on 22's and 24's for years and always secretly pined for one. I got the boat, and within 2 days she was in the water. We cleaned the shit out of her, painted the boom, refinished/replaced a bad section on the tiller, replaced the traveler base, and some blocks/cleats. Currently in the middle of varnishing the tiller/trav base. The weather here in Miami recently has been grey and humid so not the best for curing the stuff. She's got 3 soft spots on the deck which I plan on fixing soon, but her hull is in surprisingly good condition. No blisters or stress cracks worth mentioning.

She's on an anchor now, and I'm really hoping to race her with a crew around my age (24). I've got several of my friends interested, none of whom have raced before so It'll be a "fun" experience. Of course, I work Saturdays and do RC on Wednesday nights so hoping I can get some time off to do this.

Currently looking for a spin and Jib, if anyone has any leads please get in touch!! If anyone wants to go for a sail/train/beer/whatever also please feel free!!

Anyone know anything about this boat? All the sails have different numbers, but the doyles have a 3xxx which is wayyyy too new for this 1983.

Cheers!

Nic

IMG_5926_zpsvwthqqlo.jpg

IMG_5922_zps6ctodlog.jpg

IMG_5916_zpsgmsxamso.jpg

Bowchow

Anarchist
I was also given this (Crazy day right?) She's an 02 14' or 15' Caribe who needs new tubes and a 50hp (or so) OB. Anyone have any info on these?

IMG_5945_zpsefinqz8g.jpg

Bowchow

Anarchist
Are you sailing her out of CGSC?

Basically. She's on the other side of the island.

Appreciate the kind words guys!

Tiller has 5 or 6 coats of varnish on it, along with the traveler base. Got the boom back on today, rigged the vang and replaced some cleats. Hopefully taking her for her first sail tomorrow!!

JoeyG

Will they let you enter the wirth Monroe race with it? Race starts in Miami this year. Could be a fun ride up the gulfstream.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Keep an eye on the chainplates/bulkheads - if there was water intrusion, there will be damage.

Was the vermiculite job done already ? Good work on the 'get' and clean-up, now keep after 'The List' and don't make work by crashing into things

cinnr

If you've got a wood traveller bar, I'd thru-bolt the track on top. We just had wood screws securing the track, and on a windy day they gave up and the track peeled away from the bar. Ball bearings everywhere.

Bowchow

Anarchist
Will they let you enter the wirth Monroe race with it? Race starts in Miami this year. Could be a fun ride up the gulfstream.
Would be awesome. I don't have a PHRF cert. yet, let alone the title. It's in the works! Definitely hoping to do some distance stuff on her.

Keep an eye on the chainplates/bulkheads - if there was water intrusion, there will be damage.

Was the vermiculite job done already ? Good work on the 'get' and clean-up, now keep after 'The List' and don't make work by crashing into things

The all look alright. The overhead locker ply is all peeling, but not structural I'm assuming... Only problem spot is the stbd stancion at the front of the cockpit.

Clue me in on what you're referring to with vermiculite?

If you've got a wood traveller bar, I'd thru-bolt the track on top. We just had wood screws securing the track, and on a windy day they gave up and the track peeled away from the bar. Ball bearings everywhere.

Shit really? I just screwed it in, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Easy fix at least. I really don't wanna have to load those bearings again. That little blue tool is the death of me.

Side note- Went to the sailmaker yesterday for work and to have a tiller cover made, and saw some sails with the previous owners name. We've now got 2 jibs, one Melges (Wayyy before my time) and one north with missing batten pockets. Also had a Dacron gen, and a chute in much better condition than the one currently on the boat! Super excited, can't wait to get her sailing.

My work just picked up a Catalina 275, so our first sail on her is today and tomorrow. Should be interesting. Really hope she'll plane off the breeze. We'll see!! Not the boat I would have purchased in that segment, (FE 28), but should be a decent ride, especially in the 13-17 we'll be having today.

Cheers!

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
Pre-1980 boats were built with a vermiculite slurry in the sump area. the keel bolts/nuts were then compressed into the hardened vermiculite. water tended to build up into this area and the vermiculite could go soggy. Not too good for keeping the keel firmly attached to the boat.

The fix is to remove the vermiculite from the sump and reglass in a reinforcement kit (or so I've been told; I've never done the actual job, just seen the before issues.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowchow

Anarchist
Pre-1980 boats were built with a vermiculite slurry in the sump area. the keel bolts/nuts were then compressed into the hardened vermiculite. water tended to build up into this area and the vermiculite could go soggy. Not too good for keeping the keel firmly attached to the boat.

The fix is to remove the vermiculite from the sump and reglass in a reinforcement kit (or so I've been told; I've never done the actual job, just seen the before issues.)

Good to know. Mine is an 83, so she shouldn't have that issue!

Latest posts