Say goodbye to the Flying Tiger forum

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
flying tiger boats has chosen not to renew their advertising with sailing anarchy so both the front page ads and the flying tiger forum are gone. i have merged the topics into the Sportboat Anarchy forum, so amf to the FT forum. it was fun while it lasted, sort of.

the almost unbelievable lack of class direction, unity, or momentum has rendered the class about as moribund as possible. a true shame as the boat - well the ft 10 anyway - was and is just a killer boat to sail. the fact that this forum has become nearly as dead as the class somehow seems appropriate.

woulda, shoulda, coulda....

Last edited by a moderator:

eerie sailor

Super Anarchist
DEEETROIT
It was fun while it lasted!! I've met some pretty cool guys due to the FT 10 that I probably wouldn't have crossed paths with if it wasn't for the creation of the boat. Even if the OD is belly up, at least there is a hundred more cool sportboats floating around to sail on.

viperchute.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Oh, I don't know. The forum was fun while it was vital and now it's at best gone into hybernation.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who added life to this project, yes, even you BIAM. I don't think there has ever been a similar boat project anywhere.

I'll be here to offer what help I can to any FT owners and I know for sure that Tom will be willing to help.

So, if I may say it in Mandarin:

Tsai chien chiga forum dongshee. Woa way shiung nee may tien.

ctdriver

Anarchist
Well, that's sad, but not surprising as no one is able to afford new boats and the class is on hold for investment.

I think the most disappointing part is this: what is the current state of the art $75-100k boat? Not many options to get 7 people out on the water in a high performance package.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Hey Bob, I couldn't have said it better myself. Merry Christmas, -t
whatever, tom. frankly you have done a terrible job as the owner of flying tiger. almost zero promotion, involvement, enthusiasm, organization or effort. it was mortally wounded when you got it from 'Nuff Said, it died under your watch.

CazzaRanda

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
A lot of good memories in that forum... I can't believe our first foredeck ever will race (young) AC45s this year.

Posts are still searchable in the sportboat forum, there's a lot of knowledge about the FT10 in those pages. It could have been nice to preserve the forum as read only, to make searches a little easier. It's a good (and great) piece of SA history.

Cazza

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
they are kept in the water like a bloody keelboat, they sail in keelboat races

why not a keelboat forum,

no wonder they have no activity & followers, they were never in the correct place and stlll are not

Joshua

NY
Well, this brings the dinghy forum closer to the top (where it should have been)

When are Mini, Multi and Ocean Racing going?

Fixit and new gear are good but should be lower on the totem

Dinghies are third in topics even without DL.

For J boats, just highlight their brochure

Dinghies rock!

MateoVargas.jpg

Kapt'n Kirk

I would also like to see the forums kept somewhere as a source of info. I still search through them for pics and descriptions of parts and building processes. BTW Scott take your meds this am, don't see why the harshness towards Tom.

Schoonerman

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
Welcome to Sportboat Tigerers.

I've sailed a fair amount on the FT10. I like the boat. Kinda powered up for SF Bay but WAY fun when it get's up on the step.

Always wanted to sail the FT 7.5

Could not have any more respect for a designer than I do for Bob Perry. Good man!

cwheeler

WLIS
Three cheers for full disclosure: "Rough around the edges, rude and lacks common editorial sense."

An outsider's perspective - a life-long sailor new to racing 3 years: In brief, there doesn't seem to head to this octopus, meaning all eight arms are not working together and they end up kind of fighting each other. I see the stagnation of this particular fleet just symptomatic the sport. Vipers replace/cannibalize j80s, j70 will replace/cannibalize Vipers, etc etc, you end up with fleets of "hanger-ons." Where are the fleets that have 75 (30 whatever) boats on the line every Sunday, like those old photos of IODs from the 40's?

Latest posts