Say goodbye to the Flying Tiger forum

eerie sailor

Super Anarchist
DEEETROIT
A boat went out to race. It broke. They made a temp fix and got themselves to shore. Not the desired outcome but not a bad outcome. I've raced to KW on a FT and to Mac on a FT. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I might pass.......no would pass on a trans atlantic crossing on a FT............I think. I also would probably pass on sailing with LH...........I think.............Unless we have a new roll of duct tape onboard. And not the cheap stuff but a good fresh roll of 3M extra wide, to fix things.

Breaking news, a cotter pin fell off my FT10 in a recent race......headline news --perhaps this should be on the front page. Bob -- there must be something wrong with the design!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

left hook

Super Anarchist
Hey look! It's another sock puppet with poor reading comprehension skills and an axe to grind. You'd be way less obvious if half of your posts weren't focused on shitting on me. Not even No. 6 is that dedicated.

cmus

earth
Hey look! It's another sock puppet with poor reading comprehension skills and an axe to grind. You'd be way less obvious if half of your posts weren't focused on shitting on me. Not even No. 6 is that dedicated.
Hey puppy,

A boot in the balls is what you deserve whenever you bark up the wrong tree, which you do more often than not.

Kevin is a well respected sailor, sports boat owner, and a stand up guy who is old enough to be your grandfather and who has forgotten more about sailing than you will ever learn with the kind of attitude that you wear as a chip on your shoulder.

eerie sailor

Super Anarchist
DEEETROIT
Hey..........................I ain't that old!

Hey puppy,

A boot in the balls is what you deserve whenever you bark up the wrong tree, which you do more often than not.

Kevin is a well respected sailor, sports boat owner, and a stand up guy who is old enough to be your grandfather and who has forgotten more about sailing than you will ever learn with the kind of attitude that you wear as a chip on your shoulder.

Any FT10 owners tried symmetrical kites? We're racing mixed fleet with the one in NZ so OD isn't a concern. Due to geography we get a lot of flat runs against tide. A lot of our competitors are running symm and assym. Thoughts?
Jono I might be following in your footsteps. On the basis of 1 rum race and eyeballing her around the course I would think a nice big MHead Spin is essential for the sailing conditions.

Do other members of the forum have any experience with these on a Tiger and have available any dimensions that we could start with?

BMU

Snapper

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I think in displacement mode and/or having to run low to keep out of current a Sym would be a good sail with an oversized pole stored on the boom.

tavenerb

I have a Sym on Aus 56 - it is about 106 SqM, It can be faster than the Asy if you need to go dead down wind in situations like passage races. If you are not doing one design and have crew up to the task it is definately an option. Maybe my pole is a bit big but is is a handful to gybe especially with the coach-house curvature at the mast it's difficult for the bow guy to keep stable.

Scrotal Canoe

Tav- when you need it, you make it work, right? That's what it's all about. People are so use to having their asym tacked down and just transfering sheets. It's not the old IOR death roll dip pole jibe with a bow man on the point with his hands full. Just slide that over sized pole aft, bow man can do his thing within reach of the mast then throw it out on the new side. Have to check the rating, but throwing your asym out to weather may not be that big of rating hit. I know of some snakey ass water with crazy tide and just being able to sail fast with a huge symmetrical to get behind a point or on the proper side of a tide-line could possibly make up much much more than the rating hit.

left hook

Super Anarchist
So I sailed a Tiger for the first time in SF this past Sunday. The boat was a lot of fun to sail (like I suspected) as all of you have been saying

EdBljAF.jpg

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Glad to see you manned up in this thread by showing the pic of you on a Tiger, LH. Well done my friend....well done. I told you there are definitely way worse boats out there....

I'd like to play on a Tiger again, but the owner of the one near me hasn't answered me back with the dates of future races that I may be able to join him on. Oh well.

Snapper

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I have a Sym on Aus 56 - it is about 106 SqM, It can be faster than the Asy if you need to go dead down wind in situations like passage races. If you are not doing one design and have crew up to the task it is definately an option. Maybe my pole is a bit big but is is a handful to gybe especially with the coach-house curvature at the mast it's difficult for the bow guy to keep stable.
Maybe another option is to have a 2A Asym flown off a pole that tacks to the sprit when gybing? That would get them talking!

HJC

Hello to all. This is my first post.

I have a FT7.5 on Wheeler Lake in northern Alabama. I love the boat, but am still learning to sail her properly. I stopped sailing many years ago and am just getting back into it. Use to race a Capri 25. Burning Bright is my first sport boat. I have raced her twice. The first race was a pursuit windward/lewward race in extremely light wind. We started last and did well upwind but I learned that asymmetries are bad news dead down wind in 2 kts. It was my first experience with an asymmetric and all the other boats flew symmetrics.

I the second race, we had very strong winds and were overpowered flying the kite on the first down wind leg. On the second downwind leg, we raced with main and jib only, were on a plane and surging ahead, then the main outhaul broke loose. In the 5 minutes we fought to gain control on the main, the fleet was gone. Such is the life of the novice sailor with a fast boat.

I just wanted to say hello and let folks know that there is a FT 7.5 in the East and to invite anyone over who might like experience a day sail or a club race. I am happy to post my email address if anyone is interested.

Latest posts