Say goodbye to the Flying Tiger forum

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
Was at PSSRC this weekend and the super 30 fleet was there with 6 boats(5 mumm/faars and tiger) It seems like the tiger really struggles in light air with the wide angles downhill.

eerie sailor

Super Anarchist
DEEETROIT
I would have thought the Tiger would gobble up the Mummfatt in light air??? I woulf have expected the Mummfarr to do well in the 8-12 kt windspeed range downwind.

Was at PSSRC this weekend and the super 30 fleet was there with 6 boats(5 mumm/faars and tiger) It seems like the tiger really struggles in light air with the wide angles downhill.

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
First day we had 10-15k And a windqwrward leward course. tiger got gobbled by the mumms. 2nd day 6-8 knots and a more reachy course tiger did better but still consistenly lost. Melges 32 ate the bigger boats though and we didn't do to bad on our j29

ctdriver

Anarchist
in our experience, "club racing" under 12 knots we have good racing boat for boat (at 51 phrf).

When we've gone up against the "pro" set of M/F30 crew and sails we're in the hunt but behind in the <12. Above that we're never going to come out ahead - assuming our local expert PHRF committee holds us to 51/51.

Kapt'n Kirk

Tigers do all right agasinst the Farr 30's from time to time. Some of the PNW FT10's are new to their boats and still learning the angles. Funny enough IMHO the only wind range I find hard to keep pace is in 2-5 knts. I think because the F30 can heel the boat and reduce wetted surface more than the Tiger, mostly upwind. I will tipp my hat to the F30 boys at PITCH this year thoiugh, that was a good lesson in humility for the Prowler program.

Looking forward to WIRW 2014 to defend the Carr trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
Results here:

www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=7484&show_sub_class=1

Would be curious to know from anyone in SD how the Shaw 650 went against the FT10s downwind?

PHM

Super Anarchist
The Shaw was ahead of the FT10s downwind in the second race. Perhaps not a surprise since it was marginal planning conditions where something like a shaw is going to plane a lot sooner than an FT. Didn't really notice on the first race...was a bit busy. The FT10 racing was a lot tighter than it looks from the results...all 3 tigers were bow to stern at most mark roundings and fighting it out changing places over most of the course. Kudos and congratulations to John and crew on Justice for coming out ahead in both races. It was very fun racing.

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
sounds like fun. We used to have some good battles with the turboed Mumm 30s up this way also; they would win the upwinds, and we would smoke the downwinds in the Shaw.

It's definitely good fun when you are racing and lead changes from boat to boat with the slightest missed opportunity (or gained one!)

Jono

Super Anarchist
We are still talking about putting a sym kite on the NZ FT10. Just had the main die so will get that sorted first.

Snapper

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I was there watching, and it was entirely a team still learning the boat (sailing the boat I used to campaign #22). We never had problems with the Farr 30's up or down. I raced on #33 last year at LBRW and after making some changes after the first two days were beating them to the weather mark in 15+ apparent. The boats are pretty even all round.

Jono

Super Anarchist
Original sails were by an NZ independent loft using a China membrane for the main and panel for the jib.

Just put on a Doyle Stratis main to a design used by the Sydney boats. Looked good straight away. Not sure on the baby top batten. We had some flicking through issues in <5kn. May need to soften it up a bit. We added a taffeta to it, as we are club racing, not regattas.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Having sailed with Tiger 20 in Miami to Lauderdale a month ago (first time on a FT10) I did not know what to expect. With loads of time on Mumm/Farr 30s and some Melges 32 time I figured it would be easy to figure out. I was actually impressed with the boat Wes.......seriously. She was quick, responsive, and powered up. We caught and passed an Aerodyne 38 boat for boat and we're reeling in a J/122 at the finish. I tuned the rig for light air like I did with Mumm 30s and she loved it, pointing high without shedding boat speed.

I agree on some of the build issues you mentioned. The old rudder is horrendous. When I drove #20 fully powered up going to weather you could physically FEEL the deflection on the bottom of the blade affecting the flow of the foils below the water. I've talked to other owners and the new carbon rudder has solved that. The Aussies have beefed up the keel box area which seems to have solved the issues surrounding that, but overall the boat felt pretty stiff honestly.

They are good boats in my opinion. Bob, you seemed to have done something right with this boat, mate. Good on ya.

Not many 30 footers race in the shallow water of the Indian River here in central east coast of Florida, but a Tiger is a good boat for my part of the country.

It's right up there with a Farr 30 on my list of 30-ish footers I will consider down the road.

Latest posts