SB2KH race.

How about hugging the shore down the coast in the night, (if you're going to finish in the middle of the night might as well get over there early) any land breeze from the land cooling off or is the water too cold for that?

DRDNA

Anarchist
Ventucky
We did the hug the shore, and then we rode the offshore breeze straight towards King Harbor- until the wind died at LAX. Then we parked for hours, sometimes going backwards in the current next to two sleeping Grey Whales. Finally the current picked up going south, and we drifted on down to finish.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
We did the hug the shore, and then we rode the offshore breeze straight towards King Harbor- until the wind died at LAX. Then we parked for hours, sometimes going backwards in the current next to two sleeping Grey Whales. Finally the current picked up going south, and we drifted on down to finish.
Once you’ve had that experience there’s really no reason to have it again. If I was going in this years race I wouldn’t.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
How about hugging the shore down the coast in the night, (if you're going to finish in the middle of the night might as well get over there early) any land breeze from the land cooling off or is the water too cold for that?
Erm…. You do realize that it’s 20nm from the east end of Anacapa to Leo Carrillo State Beach? And that it’s 27nm from Anacapa to Pt. Dume, and then another 23nm to the finish? And that there’s a 4pm Saturday cut off time? So when it’s blowing (sucking) 1kt, how do you sail that distance before it gets called off?! The breeze will start filling back in around noon Saturday, Good Energy, Artemis, Taxi Dancer, and maybe Mental Floss might make it in before it glasses off around 9pm. Most of the others won’t make it in before mid afternoon, and there will be a lot of DNF’s!

1658982715173.png

fan

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Hasn't been a great forecast. We just got close enough to run a route using the NAM CONUS hoping it might improve the 15 hour GFS time but no it has 19 hours. Pretty much going out with the understanding we might get to see a beautiful sunrise.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Hasn't been a great forecast. We just got close enough to run a route using the NAM CONUS hoping it might improve the 15 hour GFS time but no it has 19 hours. Pretty much going out with the understanding we might get to see a beautiful sunrise.
I’m guessing a pretty good Marine Layer settling in overnight, and not burning off until late morning, as has been the case all week in SoBay!

notallthere

Super Anarchist
im on a boat!
Huh, I remember one just like that. Wonder if we was on the same boat....

Love the team I am with again this year, but not optimistic on the forecast. Hope we get surprised and fucked for leaving the A-3 at the dock!

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
It is a somewhat complicated forecast today for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor race. An Easterly Wave pushed offshore overnight and this has brought a surface wind component that will compete with the normal SW/West sea breeze. The greatest influence from this wave will be inside Santa Monica Bay where winds for the small boats could all but shut off overnight. Good luck to all of the teams. Enjoy the sun, and modest conditions. Work as hard as you can to get in the barn early.

Many thanks to all of the teams that boat shorts, hoodies, and team gear from us for this race. Thanks also to the teams that saw fit to buy a WxRouting race forecast. This year, I think you will find it was a wise investment.

SB2KH2022.jpg

It is a somewhat complicated forecast today for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor race. An Easterly Wave pushed offshore overnight and this has brought a surface wind component that will compete with the normal SW/West sea breeze. The greatest influence from this wave will be inside Santa Monica Bay where winds for the small boats could all but shut off overnight. Good luck to all of the teams. Enjoy the sun, and modest conditions. Work as hard as you can to get in the barn early.

Many thanks to all of the teams that boat shorts, hoodies, and team gear from us for this race. Thanks also to the teams that saw fit to buy a WxRouting race forecast. This year, I think you will find it was a wise investment.

View attachment 531151
Nice. Is that a webcam pic? Link please!

DryArmour

Super Anarchist