SC50 Chasch Mer Auction 7/16

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Projects always cost MUCH more than you think. So the amount to pay to purchase the project must be a very small number. $1 is perhaps appropriate. Better, get the marina to pay you $1k to get it outa there today.

Let’s say you wanted a boat that is perfect, like new. One might budget $200k, and end up spending $300k.

Compare what you can buy new for $300k with a perfect SC50.

We budgeted $50k, and I’ve got about $200k in my Olson 40, and I did a LOT of the work myself: all electrical, deck hardware, detailed rigging, and most systems.

While an SC50 is bigger than my Olson, the complexity is the same. So the cost won’t be much worse.

You can easily spend $1M on sails, of course. For daysailing and up to 6 days cruising, I get by with a carbon main and carbon jib, about $20k for a SC50. Mid teens common downwind, sailing it like a catamaran. Fun, easy, fast, safe. Gotta go carbon to make this work.

Result: Favorite “thing” I have ever owned. There is certainly nothing new for $200k I would swap for my Olson. Nothing short of $400k, really. And few under $600k.

So the potential is there. But you’ll spend, spend, spend, and spend some more to get there.
You are not wrong...but...it does not have to be so expensive. I brought this SC50 back from an eyesore for...um...well...I don’t do any bookkeeping at all...but it hasn’t cost THAT much. There was some soggy balsa, no watertight ports, the original VW diesel throwing fluids, nothing too scary. Perhaps like Chasch Mer, a decade prior to my ownership she was refitted for Pac Cup and such so there was not an uninterrupted three decade decline from grace.

The cost would have been extraordinary if I was to replace all the systems. But I did not. All that accumulated crap, all the junk fitted since she was pushed out of the Chicken Coop, was just tossed out. Saving all the expense of servicing inverters, chargers, indicators, pumps, spatula holders, nutty extra sails, ugly dodger contest candidates, miles of wire & hose, and on-and-on. I suspect Chasch Mer is not so encumbered so maybe some labor saving there.

New cruising sails were not that expensive. Plenty of fun, fewer pickle dishes, with white sails. The $15k LPU topside paint job was a miracle. That was the biggest expense. New diesel powertrain: $12k. Everything else was basically routine repair and replacement that any boat would attract as the seas go by. However plenty DIY sweat equity in there. But I cruised 6 years while all that was being done. Cannot put that in the sums.

If each hole the previous owners had drilled to mount some must-have WM catalog cruising amenity cost $10 to fill-fair-paint then add another $100,000.

A 24 kt Chasch Mer for the same money as a restored 4kt SB? Hmmm?

PHM

Super Anarchist
Some Wednesday’s back in the day there were multiple 50s a 70 and once in a while Merlin. One Wednesday I recall there was a powerful northerly which means flat water by the beach and we watched Merlin beam reach on plane from the pier past the boardwalk to the harbor mouth. Maybe 30 seconds. Like a cartoon. Then I got to do it on solings. Faster than the swells. Did it on an Olson 40 too. Ride over two or three swells before a lull drops you off the step. Nothing like it. Feels like you have harnessed a special power.
Back in the day those were fun conditions for Lasers. Sail up towards the Lane inside in the flat water/light air, reach out to the northwesterly, blast down to mile buoy, collect bonus points for staying upright during the jibe (I think we may have even stipulated that you had to re-round until you made it around without crashing), head towards the beach, repeat until you were too tired for another run. Fun times.

hobot

Super Anarchist
The marina its at is well off the beaten path. My guess is it got parked there while seeking the lowest cost, most likely abandoned due to financial issues. Too bad, as the only foam cored boat it has a shot at still being in decent structural shape.
"well off the beaten path".....geez, no kidding!

Screenshot_20220710-173055.png

A very good friend of mine who passed away in December owned it. It’s complete. Daughters cannot sell it as they do not have the title. Very sad situation. He was a good guy.

There is a bus (school) that the daughters have possession of which contains the inventory, offshore gear, floorboards (refinished I believe) as well as what he took off of it. Engine was locked up due to seawater when he attempted to move it last summer for a bottom job.
29E90FEC-30EB-4152-8D76-E13D2D7300D5.jpeg

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Back in the day those were fun conditions for Lasers. Sail up towards the Lane inside in the flat water/light air, reach out to the northwesterly, blast down to mile buoy, collect bonus points for staying upright during the jibe (I think we may have even stipulated that you had to re-round until you made it around without crashing), head towards the beach, repeat until you were too tired for another run. Fun times.
One of the best laps anywhere. prevailing nw wind outside the bay is 20 plus with pacific ocean swells and whitecaps and inside from the harbor mouth close to shore it’s 12 to 15 or sometimes less and flat water and you can beat up the beach past the boardwalk, around the pier, back into the beach at cowells and dream inn and then tight reach up the surfline just ourside the kelp, harden up, harden up some more and carry as much sail as long as possible as you get outside the point and well into the pacific. You go from flat water warm tight reach to all hell breaks loose ocean swells to weather with breaking swells in less than two minutes. All your passengers pucker up and loose their beers trying to hold on and when the first one looks green you turn left get on a sleigh ride for ten minutes before talking everyone through a gybe and if you do it right you end up on port tack and sail back out of the high wind and tack back up the beach in flat water to do it again or go into the harbor and drop the green ones at the fuel dock and go back out. On the cal 27 we had a 145% low cut mule, like the 150 but the top 4 feet were not there. Very flat sail and you could get away with a lot especially when not racing. But you could put the spin pole on that thing down wind in 25-30 and and go wing and wing ddw like it was a limo. Super stable and have champagne and foie gras. Killer setup for day sailing. Only other place I have seen laps like that is Sausalito out into the slot, downwind behind angel island and back up through raccoon straight. You can kind of do the same thing from brickyard cove etc.

casc27

Super Anarchist
If...I were not still working, did not have ailing parents to support etc. etc., and there were no huge structural issues found that might be my perfect 200K project boat, sigh...

Reactions: Mid

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
would be awesome if someone would do a video of an inspection at the auction and post here. Looks like it was a phenomenal boat with little expense spared but may be in very bad condition now.

Latest posts