School Shooting

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
No, metal detectors would have beeped but it's up to teachers and administrators to catch someone. 
Well said.  I would further add that 3D printed guns (the kind high schoolers might be attracted to) pass right through metal detectors. 

Look up TSA statistics:  metal detectors are not foolproof.  

learningJ24

Super Anarchist
Well said.  I would further add that 3D printed guns (the kind high schoolers might be attracted to) pass right through metal detectors. 

I was in the business when they started putting metal detectors in airports and recall the discussion of which handguns could be broken down then secreted in shoes to exploit the 2" deadspot near the floor of the device. No device is fool proof, even the Schwarzenator dropped a tank in a lake.

bowman81

Super Anarchist
Australia
Sir, you wrote this:

2. Those things were not invented in 1789 so the second amendment can't possibly apply to them. Alone among the Bill of Rights, it only applies totechnology available at the time it was enacted.

…which is the opposite of what you’re writing now less than 24 hours later (and have written in the past). Either you believe that the 2A applies or you don’t, it’s one or the other. Or you’re a bullshitter and pick/choose whatever is convenient in the moment. Enlighten me sir, which is it?
Not that I agree with Tom but the above was a sarcastic reference to the the case law he linked rather than his opinion. 

I'm just glad he's stopped posting that same fucking picture he threw in every thread to make some asinine point about differentiation. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Yes, of course. For terrorists. This was a kid who had no way of getting a gun till 1) his felony-inclined parents bought him one and 2) he was able to carry it in his backpack to school. 

As a society we've given #1 a pass. Too many guns out there to assume a kid can't get one- but we can start with metal detectors. Who cares if they only catch 90% of the shooters? Or just their presence makes the Kyles of the world think "yeah, better not bring one to school, likely to get caught"

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
Not that I agree with Tom but the above was a sarcastic reference to the the case law he linked rather than his opinion. 

I'm just glad he's stopped posting that same fucking picture he threw in every thread to make some asinine point about differentiation. 
Thank you for the explanation, I didn’t realize he meant it as sarcasm.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
fucking excellent. We can't stop the nutz from getting gunz, maybe we can stop them from shooting up schools. Not that Tom would approve. I mean, just a guy going to the range, ya know? And of course he has first amendment rights to spout off any kind of stuff.
Selling his car to buy all that shit is the most Florida thing since Spicoli blew his reward money to get VH to play his birthday party.  I know i know, that was cali.... 

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Breeding the next generation of school shooters.

Why?  What makes you think that, assuming it wasn't just a snarky troll?? Honest questions. 

Maybe its just breeding the next Gen of responsible gun owners.  You know, like these:

image.png

1.jpg

image.png

image.png

I sincerely doubt many of those kids depicted above went onto become school shooters as a result of that sort of imagery.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Why?  What makes you think that, assuming it wasn't just a snarky troll?? Honest questions. 

Maybe its just breeding the next Gen of responsible gun owners.  You know, like these:

View attachment 478718

View attachment 478720

View attachment 478722

I sincerely doubt many of those kids depicted above went onto become school shooters as a result of that sort of imagery.
The kids in your photos look happy, in the politicians photos? Somewhere between confused and crazy-eyed. 

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Are there or are there not rules in a gun club/range?
Of course there are.  But not many have the sort of 100% oversight and supervision you seem to think is necessary.  You do understand there IS a difference between having rules and being supervised all the time to make sure you follow those rules to the letter, right?

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Kids in our inner cities have been going through metal detectors for a couple decades now. We all have to submit to body scans at airports. etc etc

Going through a metal detector is better than letting them wonder each day if one of the misfits is packing and is capable of killing them. 
Yup, thank you.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
So, you're giving up.

It amazes me that some, even most people think the problem you indisputably have is too hard and and the only solution is to ratchet up the defence and turn any place where people gather into a fortress.

I don't usually buy into this circular debate but.

I'd like to offer my thoughts/solution.

firstly, people have to make some compromise and it will take 5 years or so

All guns that are legally owned must be licenced, renewed and a fee paid every year. (just like a car) No one with a recent (3 years) conviction for violent offences or theft may apply. 

(if states can over ride the right to vote for offenders, 2A should be a piece of cake)

I've often heard the argument that people need guns to protect them from bad guys.

OK, fix the number of illegal guns out there.

How?

Well, firstly have an 18 month period to either register that gun or hand unwanted guns in. (you can even have a cash buy back program)

the number of legal guns around makes them an "easy to get" illegal commodity. Reduce the number available to be sold or stolen, you make them a higher value illegal commodity that the average crim or gang member can't afford on the black market.

After all guns are registered, the only ones out their are automatically illegal and may be confiscated.

After the first 18 months, start a "no questions asked" return program and PAY $100 ?for each gun turned in. 

You'll soon get junkies, petty thieves (or your kids) stealing any gun not in a safe or left in a glovebox to collect the "no questions asked" bounty.

(yes, I am actually encouraging the use of the criminal element to get those illegal guns off the street) 

So what about the crims and gangsters that carefully hide their illegal gun?

Fine, they are not going to risk this now expensive illegal item by risking being pulled over for a traffic offence and searched and having it confiscated are they?

Also, Every country has these types . They are not generally a menace to the public at large.

Basically, after 5 years or so, all guns will be tracible, or confiscated, or registerd to a legal owner.

Majority  of guns out there now reduced and safely controlled.

less fear, less need to buy one.
No Jane, you ignorant Slut!  That's not how this works.  Even if we were to do all the perfect stuff to get rid of guns, work to change society into a less violent place and address all the mental illness issues and on and on - those efforts would take decades if not at least a generation to solve - assuming they are even solvable at all.  Bun in the meantime, you have to deal with the facts as you know them, not what you wish them to be.

If we used your mindset - An analogy would be that in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, we went on a Moonshot/Manhatten Project sized effort to attempt to reform the MIddle East and elsewhere and address the root causes of why terrorists hate 'Murica and would fly planes into our buildings.  But in the meantime didn't bother to harden airport checkpoints so nutjob goat-fuckers couldn't easily get weapons onto airplanes and keep doing more 9/11 style attacks until we solved the long term issues that motivate them.

Battlecheese

Super Anarchist
If we used your mindset - An analogy would be that in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, we went on a Moonshot/Manhatten Project sized effort to attempt to reform the MIddle East and elsewhere and address the root causes of why terrorists hate 'Murica and would fly planes into our buildings.
Um, this isn't an analogy. This is what happened.

Ncik

Super Anarchist
An analogy would be that in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, we went on a Moonshot/Manhatten Project sized effort to attempt to reform the MIddle East and elsewhere and address the root causes of why terrorists hate 'Murica
But you did...and you wonder why the middle east STILL hates America...ycmtsu

You could've literally given that $8 trillion dollars to Iraq and Afghanistan, raining down from planes overhead, and had a better outcome than your war on terror.

Fuck, let's go one better. You could rained down $1 trillion on the ME, given the remaining $7 trillion to your arms companies to shut up shop for 20 years, and you'd still be in a better position.

Fuck it again, you could've done it with gold bars dropped over capital cities and killed fewer people too. Even if the army was deployed in a peace keeping role under this aerial bombardment of gold bars, fewer American's would've died too.

The only thing the war on terror achieved was death, destruction and more hatred.

Where is your nationalism pragmatism?

image.png

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yeah, whatever on the war in the ME. For some relative peanuts compared to the cost of that, we could have safe schools. 

roundthebuoys

Super Anarchist
Limelight
Of course there are.  But not many have the sort of 100% oversight and supervision you seem to think is necessary.  You do understand there IS a difference between having rules and being supervised all the time to make sure you follow those rules to the letter, right?
Supervised all the time?  No, just the exact same rules as there are to drive an SUV.

Latest posts