Scorpion Dinghy

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
Hi,

A Scorpion dinghy has popped up for sale on a local website. It's going for small money and it's well kitted out. Does anyone know anything about these boats. Would it be suitable for singlehanding in light to moderate conditions? I won't be racing, I just want a dinghy for going out for a blast on a summers evening for a bit of fun. It's a lovely looking boat built of wood with a painted hull and varnished decks.

Anyone got any experience of these?

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
This type of Scorpion?

scorpion.jpg

Have to admit that I haven't, personally. There'e probably more experience with them over at Y&Y forums.

I see they've got 9.95 square metres of white sails. More than a laser (7 sq m) but less than a Finn (10)).

Also might be worth having a go on the class forum. Not super busy, but enough traffic to get questions answered?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reht

Super Anarchist
I've seen them race in breeze as well as calms and they seem to be a decent boat. Once they get going they do move at a respectable rate, but as with any symmetric spin unless there's a system set up for single-handing, you'll be hard-pressed to get it flying (not impossible, but certainly not as easy as an a-sail). So you'll probably spend a lot of time sailing white-sail until you're comfortable with the boat.

Latest posts