screwable low friction rings from VMG or alternatives

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
Has anyone used the VMG through deck fittings/ screwable low friction rings? and are there alternatives? looks like a versatile bit of kit. I am planning on putting some on my dragon, but I would like to know more first hand experience and hear about alternatives before placing an order and finding out it is not what is said to be.

For the deck fittings, look here.

http://www.vmgyachtdesign.com/deck-fittings-e

VMG_Ring_V4_V8_VMax.JPG

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI
Before these, people were using bronze thru hull fittings and boring and polishing the nubs for the tool to grab while tightening. For lighter loads, there were plastic options made by Schaefer though and Ronstan made a plastic mount with a metal insert. I suspect that VMG are stronger and offer the least amount of friction.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
Cool, didn't know ropeye! will look into them as well. As the lines will be making a turn under deck, the old fashioned through hulls are less of an option as they are straight. Thanks for the info all and all the best wishes for the new year!

DDW

Super Anarchist
They are getting top dollar for those things, aren't they? How big is the market? Maybe I should start making them....

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
yeah, same for the VMG ones. so cost is not the main concern. Mainly looking for non commercial real life experiences and possible alternatives. I must say, I quite like the Ropeye lineup of products.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Ok, I was looking at MSRP which is more like $105. I guess like everything else, retail price is a fiction. At $50 or less, a profitable but not a retirement annuity.