Seawind/Corsair Marine "accidentally" destroyed their C37 molds

Low Rider

Hello, I've been waiting to post until I actually had a boat to post about.

In July of 2021 I purchased via contract through Finish Line a 2023 Corsair 37 to be delivered in June 2023.
I put a $30,000 non-refundable deposit down on the boat and started making moves to prepare for the boat.

I got a call today from Finish Line. Corsair called them to tell Steve to call me and tell me they accidentally destroyed the C37 molds and 1 year after the contract was signed, won't be building my boat after all.

they've removed the boat from their webpage as well.

Thanks Corsair.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC

In July of 2021 I purchased via contract through Finish Line a 2023 Corsair 37 to be delivered in June 2023.
I put a $30,000 non-refundable deposit down on the boat and started making moves to prepare for the boat.

I got a call today from Finish Line. Corsair called them to tell Steve to call me and tell me they accidentally destroyed the C37 molds and 1 year after the contract was signed, won't be building my boat after all.

Thanks Corsair.
I hope your non-refundable deposit becomes refundable in this case!!!

Low Rider

Finish Line assumed I would get the deposit back. it's sketchy Seawind/Corsair Marine didn't already take the steps to return it though.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Vietnam was hard hit by covid. I wouldn't contract to purchase anything new from a Vietnam shop for at least a couple more years. Experience lost in building (the stuff that never gets written), is just lost, sometimes forever.

Well I’m hoping and praying you get your deposit back. I‘m sure your disappointed as I would be.
Seeing as you were dealing with a foreign company this may be difficult to unwind, so get ready to battle for your money. If they keep your deposit, this may hurt them in the long run as folks will be leery when ordering.
Keep us posted.

Low Rider

Well I’m hoping and praying you get your deposit back. I‘m sure your disappointed as I would be.
Seeing as you were dealing with a foreign company this may be difficult to unwind, so get ready to battle for your money. If they keep your deposit, this may hurt them in the long run as folks will be leery when ordering.
Keep us posted.
Thanks. I am very concerned about the deposit. Seawind/Corsair Marine should have already put the process in motion of refunding me. But there hasn't even been an offer of a refund. I hope this thread makes sure Seawind/Corsair Marine changes direction and does the right thing. I'll update this thread with whatever happens.

Low Rider

Vietnam was hard hit by covid. I wouldn't contract to purchase anything new from a Vietnam shop for at least a couple more years. Experience lost in building (the stuff that never gets written), is just lost, sometimes forever.
I kinda get what you're saying but a boat builder accidentally destroying the molds doesn't hold water with me. Covid hit a lot of places hard.

Wess

Super Anarchist

Thanks Corsair.
Very sorry to hear this. Seawind/Corsair going gang buster building boats so doubts it’s Covid and most likely what they said. For sure you should get deposit back and if not handled very quickly I would get a lawyer and drag them through a very public legal lynching. They entered a contract to build you a boat and now apparently say they can’t. Time to refund your money with interest!

Low Rider

Thank you.

Steve at Finish Line told me over the past year that Seawind/Corsair Marine has 600+ deposits on boats for 6+ years out. Now we know they can keep the deposits for years and simply cancel people's boats when they feel like it.

and here's how I know Seawind/Corsair Marine management isn't being candid about the accidentally destroyed molds-

they aren't simply repairing them or rebuilding the molds, like a boat manufacturer can and would.

Instead, they canceled my order and the C37 entirely. That's because they have other plans for their biggest boat, as we will all find out. I simply got caught up in that and Seawind/Corsair Marine's hideous lack of customer concern, care, or service.

Last edited:

Low Rider

Just checked Corsair website. C37 still on it.
They have no idea how to run their website and didn't remove that page.

I'm showing that the link to that is removed from the mainpage, www.corsairmarine.com and the 37 is no longer showing in the options area at www.corsairmarine.com/options

I've also been informed by Steve and another dealer the 37 is done.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I kinda get what you're saying but a boat builder accidentally destroying the molds doesn't hold water with me. Covid hit a lot of places hard.
Happened down the street at the Triac facility as well (makers of Rapido). They destroyed one of the moulds for the SeaRails by accident. But that was before covid...just slovenly manufacturing site with inadequate supervision of poorly trained workers. Yes, it costs more to have a custom boat made by a reputable builder....better IMO, to be able to trust the build quality when the nearest land is over the horizon.

Low Rider

Happened down the street at the Triac facility as well (makers of Rapido). They destroyed one of the moulds for the SeaRails by accident. But that was before covid...just slovenly manufacturing site with inadequate supervision of poorly trained workers. Yes, it costs more to have a custom boat made by a reputable builder....better IMO, to be able to trust the build quality when the nearest land is over the horizon.
I hear ya. I'm sure Triac was able to repair and/or replace the damaged molds, if they chose to. My point was Seawind/Corsair Marine build their own molds, they build everything, that's what they do. The C37 has probably >12 molds total. They could have done what was needed to honor the contract. They simply chose not to.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I hear ya. I'm sure Triac was able to repair and/or replace the damaged molds, if they chose to. My point was Seawind/Corsair Marine build their own molds, they build everything, that's what they do. The C37 has probably >12 molds total. They could have done what was needed to honor the contract. They simply chose not to.
Agreed (Greed). Triac did remake the broken mould (made it wrong in the process). That is part of the reason SeaRails are not "in production" currently. In any event, Corsair dealerships continue to fill build slots 2-3 years out.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I wonder if some sort of escrow system for deposits might make more sense once a boat gets to be closer to half a million dollars.
Yes. I keep telling people that when ever you are dealing with a custom yard/small builder that only makes a dozen boats a year etc.

At minimum you should have title to the boat under construction and progress payments will be tied to construction effort so if they go under you can move the boat to another yard and complete. You'll still take a $$ hit, but it won't be as bad as if you didn't have title to the boat until it was done and passed sea trials etc. If the yard goes under 1 day before trials you are one of many unsecured creditors.

Low Rider

Yes. I keep telling people that when ever you are dealing with a custom yard/small builder that only makes a dozen boats a year etc.

At minimum you should have title to the boat under construction and progress payments will be tied to construction effort so if they go under you can move the boat to another yard and complete. You'll still take a $$ hit, but it won't be as bad as if you didn't have title to the boat until it was done and passed sea trials etc. If the yard goes under 1 day before trials you are one of many unsecured creditors.
good suggestions, Seawind/Corsair Marine is a huge production boat manufacturer over 40 years old.

Latest posts