Seawind/Corsair Marine "accidentally" destroyed their C37 molds

gbkersey

Austin, TX
Yet, they made it look so easy in the videos. That is a problem. The amas, the mast, and all their friends, folding it up has to be a big job itself. So, were you keeping them at the slip? Or? Were you charged catamaran rates? If I happen to buy one of these, I want to do that job only 2 times a year, one to get it in the water, and the other to store for the season. I am taking about only the Corsair. I love Rapidos but haven't checked the design details about them. They seem to be too much for day sailing anyhow.
We fold and unfold ours at least once a week. I can do it by myself. So, I really don't think it is that hard. 30 minutes to launch, unfold, rig. 30 minutes to derig, fold, retrieve. Really not so bad. It's a sailboat, not a power boat. So, some set up time is required.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Yet, they made it look so easy in the videos. That is a problem. The amas, the mast, and all their friends, folding it up has to be a big job itself. So, were you keeping them at the slip? Or? Were you charged catamaran rates? If I happen to buy one of these, I want to do that job only 2 times a year, one to get it in the water, and the other to store for the season. I am taking about only the Corsair. I love Rapidos but haven't checked the design details about them. They seem to be too much for day sailing anyhow.
We have kept ours in the water on a T or oversized slip. Folding is a complicated topic and can't easily be covered in one post. Depends on the size of the boat, the design and how the boat is used. Folding can be quite easy or a real PITA depending on the who what when where how things. We had friends that raced their F27 and trailer sailed it (ie it lived mast up, boat folded on a trailer on land when not being sailed) and had no issues. It can be done. After some overnight distance races when we owned our F27, due to work commitments we would de-rig and trailer it home and relaunch (ie re-rig) all after a night of racing and no sleep. We could be out on the trailer ready to roll, or back off the trailer and ready to sail in about 30 minutes. We have always pulled our C36 with our trailer; its never been in a travel lift since we owned it. So again it can be done and even fairly easily done if you know what you are doing, do it right and know the tricks to make it easy and the pitfalls that can make it hard to impossible. Equally, I have seen folks take half a day and even almost a full day just to fold their boat (and damn near destroy it) because they didn't know the pitfalls. And of course the bigger the boat the bigger the issues. Not trying to be evasive here its just not as straight-forward a topic as you might think. It can be easy as pie or harder than hell depending...

Last edited:

Canoer

So much figuring out to do. I'll get there eventually. Thanks guys.

We fold and unfold ours at least once a week. I can do it by myself. So, I really don't think it is that hard. 30 minutes to launch, unfold, rig. 30 minutes to derig, fold, retrieve. Really not so bad. It's a sailboat, not a power boat. So, some set up time is required.

We have kept ours in the water on a T or oversized slip. Folding is a complicated topic and can't easily be covered in one post. Depends on the size of the boat, the design and how the boat is used. Folding can be quite easy or a real PITA depending on the who what when where how things. We had friends that raced their F27 and trailer sailed it (ie it lived mast up, boat folded on a trailer on land when not being sailed) and had no issues. It can be done. After some overnight distance races when we owned our F27, due to work commitments we would de-rig and trailer it home and relaunch (ie re-rig) all after a night of racing and no sleep. We could be out on the trailer ready to roll, or back off the trailer and ready to sail in about 30 minutes. We have always pulled our C36 with our trailer; its never been in a travel lift since we owned it. So again it can be done and even fairly easily done if you know what you are doing, do it right and know the tricks to make it easy and the pitfalls that can make it hard to impossible. I have seen folks take half a day and even almost a full day just to fold their boat (and damn near destroy it) because they didn't know the pitfalls. And of course the bigger the boat the bigger the issues. Not trying to be evasive here its just not as straight-forward a topic as you might think. It can be easy as pie or harder than hell depending...

eastern motors

Anarchist
Yah, and a Bentley Continental GT is about triple the cost of a Lexus RCF (I have an RCF, so I was looking). Point being that you won't get "mouse fur" in the Dragonfly interior.
Sounds like this guy was looking for a RCF. So people recommending the Bentley isn't all that helpful.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
And mouse fur is pretty light which comes in handy when weight makes the boat slower and loads higher.
And takes absolutely no craftsmanship to apply. Cheap finish, like gelcoat instead of sanding. Production boats are full of these sorts of decisions. Get it quick, done, and out the door. Not complaining, all my boats have been production schlock.

And mouse fur is pretty light which comes in handy when weight makes the boat slower and loads higher.
Or the interior can just look like this
Sans Mouse Fur on an F36

image8.jpeg

P1010717.JPG

efrank

I'm glad people buy new boats, so there is eventually a used boat market, but I would never buy new, money aside. Too many stories like this. It shocks me that a company as well known as Corsair would wait months to inform a customer that they are not getting their boat, and then only at the customer's inquiry.

I would rather buy a boat I can see that is 2 or 3 years old and has all the initial problems worked out and has probably depreciated 20-30%. The OP should jump on the 37 mentioned earlier in the thread. I had an F27 and regret selling it. Great boat!

eastern motors

Anarchist
I would rather buy a boat I can see that is 2 or 3 years old and has all the initial problems worked out and has probably depreciated 20-30%. The OP should jump on the 37 mentioned earlier in the thread. I had an F27 and regret selling it. Great boat!
Last few years the depreciations on a 3 year old boat about been about 0%.

SailingTips.Ca

Feigns Knowledge
Victoria, BC
Having owned several Corsair/Farriers both large and small I gotta tell you that there is much more to folding at a practical level than is on this thread or could realistically be shared. With either the 27 or the 36 we would never want to fold each time we sailed.

We dry-sail our F-82R and launch it from the trailer for each event/regatta.

As others have said with practice and optimizing it can be launched and retrieved in under an hour. Our first attempt was 3+ hours.

Last year I kept it unfolded in a slip. It was more convenient for local weekly club races but 1) I had to clean the bottom every week 2) I had to spend 40 minutes in the car (round trip) to repair anything, and 3) I still has to fold and trailer to regattas in other cities.

So with trailer sailing it's less convenient on sailing day, but more convenient for maintenance and deliveries.

As a result we don't do local weekly club races anymore, but focus on more serious events/regattas.

Here's how we raise our mast:

gbkersey

Austin, TX
Fortunately, we have mast up storage at the club.... It takes less time to launch and retrieve than bottom cleaning each week :)

Folding and going down the highway at 70mph to a regatta in another city would be an advantage, I'd think :)

Latest posts