Selden Bowsprit - Bobstay or not

Pabs

I installed a Selden Bowsprit to my First 35. After talking to the Rep with regards to a bobstay he informed me that the bowsprits are not designed for them. Walking round the dock, there are a number of Selden Bowsprits all with bobstays.

I am trying to figure out why I would not install one any input would be appreciated.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Take a close look at what Selden states for sail type & size for the stock sprit. Any bobstay will increase the compression load quite a bit, so upgrading the end fitting might also be needed

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
Its all about whether you are going to extend it far or not. If you follow the Selden guidelines and don't use a furler or code sails, no problem.

Anything with a luff rope, or anything where you get more extension than the spec, I think you'd expect to need a bobstay.

yoyo

Anarchist
Pretty good info here from Selden on sprit model / boat size and unsupported sprit length (USL).
I'd assume Selden customer support would help to confirm if your install is ok or not.

A2 should fall into the gennaker definition so if you stay under the published USL you should be ok without bobstay.

Selden's Code 0 charts indicate a much shorter USL projection because of the significantly higher luff loading. An addition of a bobstay should allow using a longer USL for a Code 0. Maybe the others you see with bobstays are flying C0's.

Latest posts