Sheboygan Sausages at Kroger ...

mikewof

mikewof
I skimmed it then skipped to the end. Mikey doesn’t want you to cross the picket line to shop at some market because the staff there are nice.
Even if they were assholes, I would support their union and not cross their picket line, because I'm no fucking scab. I support the firefighter's union too, vigorously, and I always have. It's the way I was raised. Workers have a right to organize for better pay and better conditions, the same way that ownership has the right to attempt to fuck over the unions. But as a rule, I tend to side with people who bust their ass for me, rather than a handful of billionaires who scream at me when I wrinkle their cashmere sweater that they tied around the fucking shoulder strap of their goddamned overloaded golf bag, with a quart of lemonade and literally the limit of fourteen clubs in their bag, and the rich fuckers still can't hit a fucking bogey with open green and the sun warm and high in the sky. 

I digress ... Why would any of us scab a picket line of our friends and neighbors when we can just drive three minutes down the road and get our comestibles from Safeway?

The Kroger employees are working toward an employee stock ownership takeover of the company, similar to Publix and Hy-Wee, which are both already under ESOPs. That produces a ton of value in my life, and helps bring me tasty fish, fresh produce, well-selected meats, expertly-baked goods and well-stocked shelves.

So why would any of us cross that line? Just to fuck with them?

mikewof

mikewof
Posts with this many words automatically belong in pa no matter what the subject matter. I am not reading it.
Reading is tough. Sheboygans are tasty. Steak is tastier. Pig can never beat Cow, Chris, sorry ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Mikey is wrong.  Of course it's political.

He rants and raves about Wal Mart and Amazon, yet he probably has an Alexa to order things easily.  

Like many people Mikey is mystified about how all of this happened.  It happened because people want all kinds of cheap consumer products, which companies provide by exploiting low wage countries to fill the demand.  And then they wonder why they lost their job.  People rant about poor infrastructure and in the same breath complain about paying taxes and vote for the kinds of politicians that do things for the big money donors and not the average Joe.  Why on earth do people thing a corrupt, grifting billionaire would be a good president and help the ordinary folks???

Everything is political.

People need to start looking in the mirror and open their eyes.

"The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind..."

pogo.jpg

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
A Monty Python classic.  That's where I learned that word years ago.

"...sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I skimmed it then skipped to the end. Mikey doesn’t want you to cross the picket line to shop at some market because the staff there are nice.
To be fair, he is right, but it obv could have been said in 20 words or less... PL were empty yesterday at all the kings...  IMHO, They deserve what they are asking for.  

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Johnsonville sausages suck,  they're overloaded with msg
Miesfelds  A better Sheboygan Sausage.  One tends to think of Bratwurst and Sheboygan.  In the '50s there were maybe a dozen local butchers grinding Bratwurst.  The last, Luedkes, closed 20 years ago. A friend, the son of one of the other butchers, grinds a small amount for a local chain once or twice a year. Johnsonville and Old Wisconsin, Handcrafted, Hardwood Smoked Sausages | Old Wisconsin seem to be the last 2 volume producers.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
To be fair, he is right, but it obv could have been said in 20 words or less... PL were empty yesterday at all the kings...  IMHO, They deserve what they are asking for.  
I have no knowledge of their issues so I’ll certainly not argue that point. There is no doubt unions are a necessity- at least in our economic model - or the average worker would often not get a fair shake/make progress. However, having been very active on both sides of that critter in the public sector I can tell you it can be a double edged sword. We had an expression in the industry…..”Fire Chiefs get the union they deserve”. Turns out the reverse of that is true as well. 

If I were back there and had to choose whether to cross to shop or not I’d have to educate myself on the issues, decide on the merits and decide. Not every set of demands and strike actions are meritorious……..and SEIU is a very very big dog in the yard.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
14 hours ago, mikewof said:

I used to run a hot dog cart in Downtown Denver. We got VERY good at presenting the Sheboygans. Many people -- even ones on vacation from Michigan and Wisconsin -- would tell us that they were the best Sheboygans they ever had. It wasn't complicated, but the owners worked hard to figuring it out.

1. The sausages were steamed. Not grilled or fried, or baked or put on a roller. They were steamed, just like at the ballpark.

2. White hot dog buns but bigger than usual to allow room for the good stuff.

3. Chopped onions if they wanted it, and Mady's Mustard. This was the secret. They tested literally hundreds of different mustards, and none had the flavor profile that went with the Sheboygans better than Mady's. It looked like this .

fab....   

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
I wasn't aware of a strike, not noticing it at my local store.   If the concern was crossing a Kroger's picket line:

As with Mike, I of course claim expertise in the subject.  I'm a former Kroger's union member (not of good standing).    I worked there for a summer in college and wasn't even aware I was working in a union shop.    When I came back for the Christmas break the manager apparently failed to forward union dues, so in the spring I got a threatening letter from said union explaining I was in arears and not welcome to toil under their banner until I made good.   

Based on this life changing experience, I fail to see the benefit of honoring the picket line.   Assuming I don't show solidarity for my union brothers by going on a hunger strike, the alternative is to buy from the non union competition a mile away.  Perhaps that's what the strikers themselves are doing. 

For a while the deli and other counters have had limited and unpredictable hours, due to their inability to find labor.   This might seem to be an argument for better compensation, except the same thing is true for four franchise dental offices in Dayton, closed half the week due to their inability to find dentists and office managers (who do get paid a few dollars more).   Therefore the answer seems to be more robots (but not necessarily robotic root canals).   

mikewof

mikewof
Mikey is wrong.  Of course it's political.

He rants and raves about Wal Mart and Amazon, yet he probably has an Alexa to order things easily.  

Like many people Mikey is mystified about how all of this happened.  It happened because people want all kinds of cheap consumer products, which companies provide by exploiting low wage countries to fill the demand.  And then they wonder why they lost their job.  People rant about poor infrastructure and in the same breath complain about paying taxes and vote for the kinds of politicians that do things for the big money donors and not the average Joe.  Why on earth do people thing a corrupt, grifting billionaire would be a good president and help the ordinary folks???

Everything is political.

People need to start looking in the mirror and open their eyes.

"The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind..."
This is not political.

This state has become very, very expensive in the last few years with so many people moving here. They are committed to the customers and they are committed to the Kroger corporation. I know for a fact that those people on that line span the gamut in political thought from left to right. I have had drinks with some of them, watched them wrestle, rode dirtbikes with them.

They want to stay with their jobs, and they need a higher wage to support their families. One can bargain for a price on a car without being accused of politics, one should be able to bargain for the pay of a job without being accused of politics.

And for the record Eddy, I don't have an Alexa, and I am not an Amazon Prime user or member. Amazon is sometimes a necessity and I accept that, but I manufacture my products in the USA, and I don't do that for political reasons, I do it because it is better for my customers, my suppliers and my company.

mikewof

mikewof
As with Mike, I of course claim expertise in the subject.  I'm a former Kroger's union member (not of good standing).    I worked there for a summer in college and wasn't even aware I was working in a union shop.    When I came back for the Christmas break the manager apparently failed to forward union dues, so in the spring I got a threatening letter from said union explaining I was in arears and not welcome to toil under their banner until I made good.   

Based on this life changing experience, I fail to see the benefit of honoring the picket line.   Assuming I don't show solidarity for my union brothers by going on a hunger strike, the alternative is to buy from the non union competition a mile away.  Perhaps that's what the strikers themselves are doing. 
I think that your personal beef is with the manager (like not union) rather than the union itself, right? Why don't you track that fellow down and teepee his or her house?

You live in Ohio, you have Hy-Vee stores in Ohio right? In some ways, employee-owned corporations like Hy-Vee are even better than unions, why not just shop at your local Hy-Vee?

Down in the South they have Publix, which is also employee-owned, and an excellent chain of grocery stores.