Shed a tear for GGYC

Why?

Whatever else they may have done, they gave us Dogzilla, the awesome AC72's, and the 30-knot match racing in AC35.  Now the mantle has passed to another competitor, who has quite an act to beat.

The king is dead, long live the king.

NSP

Anarchist
Seeing that Facebook video from RNZYS reminded me of what the AC used to be about.  I'm thrilled the Cup is going back to a trustee that gives a fuck about its history (hopefully they'll beef up security this time though to protect it from those crazy locals  :D )

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Errr....... Nah!
Yeah - well, their view is still pretty good. And I guess Larry reupholstered the lounge IMG_3832.JPG  as well...

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
GGYC members will stay in the history of the AC as those who sold the soul of the AC in order to lower their YC fees.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
GGYC members will stay in the history of the AC as those who sold the soul of the AC in order to lower their YC fees.
That may be true, but to suggest that they won't be emotional is not.

Every Oracle fan will be feeling similar pains as the ETNZ fans did 4 years ago.

Sgt.Schultz

Every Oracle fan will be feeling similar pains as the ETNZ fans did 4 years ago.
I doubt that, the way AC35 went down was much different than AC34. And in general, the AC is just not that big a deal over here. Whatever "mourning" I did was already over a few days ago. Besides, it's pretty windy right now and my last excuse to not get my gear out from under the house is now gone.
Or_wink.gif

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I doubt that, the way AC35 went down was much different than AC34. And in general, the AC is just not that big a deal over here. Whatever "mourning" I did was already over a few days ago. Besides, it's pretty windy right now and my last excuse to not get my gear out from under the house is now gone.
Or_wink.gif
Yeah, I no that the AC means precisely fuck all in the US. But for the relatively small number of people for whom it is a passion, it will hurt.

Have fun with your gear :)

Sgt.Schultz

Yeah, I no that the AC means precisely fuck all in the US. But for the relatively small number of people for whom it is a passion, it will hurt.

Have fun with your gear :)
FWIW, quite a few of those people live around my area. Many are transplanted New Englanders with at least some connection to the Newport days, and we do tend to care a lot more than most. But as I get older, spectator sports lose more and more of their appeal, and even more so any deep emotional attachments to what are often more or less mercenary practitioners. I've always wanted to visit NZ, but frankly, for me AC36 would only add value to that if it were somehow a paying gig. Stranger things have happened though. And in any case, I don't mean to denigrate the huge cultural significance for the Kiwi followers. Hope the party and the general buzz lasts for a good long while!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
That may be true, but to suggest that they won't be emotional is not.

I doubt it. Explanations we had here, presumably from GGYC members, is that they did not care about the AC, it was exterior to them, they didn't give a shit.

Probably an excuse for the shame, but it gives the spirit in the YC. I don't think Kiwis feel the same, am I wrong ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts