Shed a tear for GGYC

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Regarding GGYC, it has both thrived and stymied as the holder of the Cup.  In their best moments they had a gorgeous club full of people and the hottest tickets in town.  In their lesser moments, they are held hostage by the strength of the voting members from OTUSA (or threat of vote) which keeps the same leadership in place, and as a result, their growth as a yacht club has lagged behind their peers. As a member bonus, they screened the AC on tv and charged their own members $50 to swing by and watch racing.  While the rest of the clubs in the area showed it for free.  Hope this AC change of hands brings the ggyc back to Yachting. I think the RNZYS knows well how to handle it. 
Right on!  No tears, no regrets from me.  To employ an oft-used insulting phrases round here, they were a puppet.

Spectacular location, refurbished real estate. Now they need to nurture a soul.

May likely see significant drop off in membership numbers if Larry decides to pull the plug.

Of course we should remember it's on the cards he will need a club when he challengers again.  GGYC or perhaps even a new club on Lānaʻi, his private island in Hawaii, although he'd have to build a harbour and a clubhouse and establish an annual ocean race!

Dixie

Reporters
SF
And may he Rest In Peace out of the Bay Area. 

(Had I known I might have come back sooner!)

TwoRockKnock

Bermuda
For Christ's sake...give it a rest.. GGYC saw a way to revitalize their Club and they've had a great ride for the last few years. Through Norbert, they exposed the Cup to so many, and are in a better place for it. The bitterness that exists towards GGYC is, frankly, pathetic.

Now RNZYS have to carry the mantle. Good for them but no one has it forever.......

it isnt clear that the defender ggyc correctly gave/transferred the ac trophy and ac assets etc legally -

ortusa is not the defender club per dog vs and the various acea acrm etc agreements 

they have no language to the affect -besides possession of the trophy and

is not a completed transfer of the AC - imo 

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
From a kiwi perspective GGYC issue is a internal family affair. I dont wish them any ill, I hope for a prosperous future for them. On the other hand if the RNZYS sold out like this , I dont think things will go down as smoothly. Its not the Kiwi way. Some traditions are worth keeping, and this is one of them. 

BOOK to be published (NOT)

The MECHANISM and the Multi BILLOINAIR

GGYC was a Tool that did nothing wrong

They benefited w/o hurting any programs

And enjoyed the International Spotlight

Larry shall leave GGYC better off than how he found it

Unless he now holds the mortgage and gets the fees generated

Glad they held the Cup in 2013

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
BOOK to be published (NOT)

The MECHANISM and the Multi BILLOINAIR

GGYC was a Tool that did nothing wrong

They benefited w/o hurting any programs

And enjoyed the International Spotlight

Larry shall leave GGYC better off than how he found it

Unless he now holds the mortgage and gets the fees generated

Glad they held the Cup in 2013
Agree with most of this, except they DID sell their souls somewhat.

But I hold no ill will towards them as Lazza was always going to find a sock puppet, so if the GGYC had abstained it would have achieved nothing.