Shop Heater

tpletcher

Super Anarchist
Austin, TX
I've tried several electrical models and they can't seem to do much at all. Trying to elevate temp in my workshop (garage) by about 10-15 degrees above exterior ambient temp. Not a lot of insulation in the house and garage so might be a pipe dream..

But that said, anyone got a model they have used that can handle a garage sized shop? prefer electric or ceramic as opposed to gas or propane..

Shife

Super Anarchist
I've tried several electrical models and they can't seem to do much at all. Trying to elevate temp in my workshop (garage) by about 10-15 degrees above exterior ambient temp. Not a lot of insulation in the house and garage so might be a pipe dream..
But that said, anyone got a model they have used that can handle a garage sized shop? prefer electric or ceramic as opposed to gas or propane..
That's a tall order for an electric heater. I use a kerosene forced air 35k BTU ReddyHeater that Burnsy left here when he move to Milwaukee. It would struggle to heat anything much larger than a two car garage. We used it to heat both the boat when tarped and garages when working on cars/boat stuff. It has worked very well for that and has so far lasted over 10yrs with no trouble. Without a thermostat kit you have to regulate the temp yourself by unplugging it. We've never had any problems with fumes as it is pretty clean burning. I will say that the propane versions of the forced air heaters I've used have been problematic at best.

Trendsetter

Super Anarchist
Cape Cod
bit the bullet and get a multi fuel heater. I prefer readyheat or however its spells. I have a 150,000 btu and two 40,000 btu. the bigger one kicks ass does a three and a half car garage in the dead of winter bringing it up to mid 80's with out issue. the smaller one you might want to look into they run around $80-100 the electric draw is nill, (around 2.5 amps) they hold around three gallons and although they dont have a thermostat you plug it and when your up to temp you turn it off, or just do like we do let it run and keeps temps in the mid 70's low 80's makes working on everything that much better. I think the tank on that lasts around 4 to 6 hours plenty of time for most day jobs

Trendsetter

Super Anarchist
Cape Cod
shife, you sir are correct i was just trying to keep it simple for the guy. if you buy the bigger ones they already have the thermostat on them, you can ghetto rig it up away from the heater or learn to adjust it on the heater. The bigger one holds about 12 gallons and running non stop burns a gallon an hour. in the shop about the size of a two car garage and running only during the day we can get about two weeks out of it if we keep it below 80 in the winter

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
If ya want cheap, the kerosene fired torpedo heaters are hard to beat.

If ya want good - my buddy's solution is REALLY good:

He built a "Garage Mahal" - and he REALLY built it - It's a Morton Building, (steel frame, metal siding), about 40'X80' w/12' high sidewalls, well insulated w/fiberglass batts, and a concrete floor.

He installed radiant floor heating, and once the concrete gets warm, we can open the big doors and the building stays warm, no more of this mess of waiting for the building to heat back up once all the warm air has been blown out.

mad

Super Anarchist
Don't use propane if you want a dry/low humidity environment, they pump out a load of moisture.

cyclone

Super Anarchist
Maine
I installed a Rinnai vented propane heater in the garage for maintaining proper temps

for larger vacuum bagged epoxy layups when the pump would run all night. It was

safe unattended and there were no products of combustion to worry about.

JT

entropy

Anarchist
the kero torpedos can fill your shop with an ultra-fine mist of oil if they aren't burning right. It can be so fine that you don't notice it, but paint sure does.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
We use propane tank mounted radiant heaters. Our 17,000 BTU Coleman brand heaters run for about 30 hours on teh second lowest setting. The higher settings don't help much to increaas heat and higher settings tend to blow out the heating element. My heaters are each over 20 years old now.

219DXZ483YL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

wjquigs

Be careful if you're laminating. Just about any heating source other than electric or natural gas will put particles in the air that will compromise secondary bonding strength. The exception is externally-vented heaters, but that's very expensive for a garage/shop.

If you use peel ply or even cheap nylon fabric, you have nothing to worry about.

W

I installed a Rinnai vented propane heater in the garage for maintaining proper tempsfor larger vacuum bagged epoxy layups when the pump would run all night. It was

safe unattended and there were no products of combustion to worry about.

JT

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
Here ya go.

http://www.usaca.info/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=104

Encore makes a 240v. single phase electric heater. Works great. I have a two car garage for a shop, only one wall is against the house. No insulation and poorly closeing garage doors. Gives great ventilation! It is mounted on the bracket from the ceiling and heats it up great here In the PNW during the winter. I sometimes even have to turn it down some as it gets too hot inside. I think HD or Lowes even carries them. And you can swivel it to blow the hot air where you want it. Comes with a therm. It's red and is called the Hot One.

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
If you are burning fuel, be careful abut the COx issues.

A CO detector in the room might be a good idea, ar a fuel burning system where the vent is outside.

asshat 2

Super Anarchist
Austin
Encore makes a 240v. single phase electric heater. Works great. I have a two car garage for a shop, only one wall is against the house. No insulation and poorly closeing garage doors. Gives great ventilation! It is mounted on the bracket from the ceiling and heats it up great here In the PNW during the winter. I sometimes even have to turn it down some as it gets too hot inside. I think HD or Lowes even carries them. And you can swivel it to blow the hot air where you want it. Comes with a therm. It's red and is called the Hot One.
http://www.heater-home.com/product/L5600.a...parisonshopping

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist
I use one of the propane ReddyHeater "cylinder" forced air models. Aside from the noise it generates, it works great. I turn that on in the morning, with the air filtration system I have mounted on the ceiling, to help circulate air, garage is toasty in 30 minutes on a 30-ish F day.

Yes must be careful about CO. I always crack open a window.