Shopping Cart Attack in NY

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
That was my wife, attacked by a shopping cart... We are exploring charitable opportunities to help inner city youth so that they have choices which are healthy rather than destructive. Am on the fence whether sailing is something which can appeal or is practical as one of several areas of focus. Might not be as practical as ball sports, arts etc. Thots?

duncan

Super Anarchist
Brooklyn
I hope she is doing better- that was a horrible act. very impressed with your family's response to this.

I'm not sure if sailing would help/appeal. but, i think some type of character development/mentoring program would help. maybe a day trip as the program ender?

let me know if i can help-

duncan

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
Your wife is the one who caught that shopping cart tossed off the parking structure by those scum-fuking-pieces-of-shit last year?.......

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a sad tragedy and I think your constructive, as opposed to retributive, approach is something to be lauded. My condolences to you and your family.

I've always thought that sailing would be a great outlet for inner-city youth. It simultaneously teaches self-reliance and teamwork, while exposing one to elements that you otherwise wouldn't be exposed too. Sailing is also is a great way for one to "get away" from their lot in life. A youth with a sailing background can use that experience to enter the maritime trades and break away from inner-city life.

When I lived in NYC, I used to run around the Central Park reservoir and always thought a community boating organization based there would be ideal. My understanding is that it no longer actually provides drinking water to the City. That could be an interesting idea for you to explore. Or becoming involved with some of the harbor sailing non-profits that are springing up.

Lee G

Super Anarchist
Wow, all the best to your wife.

How about Rocking the Boat, which is an after school program that teaches inner city kids about boatbuilding. Anarchist Mike R is involved with them.

mikewof

mikewof
That was my wife, attacked by a shopping cart... We are exploring charitable opportunities to help inner city youth so that they have choices which are healthy rather than destructive. Am on the fence whether sailing is something which can appeal or is practical as one of several areas of focus. Might not be as practical as ball sports, arts etc. Thots?
It's good to do something along the lines of what your wife did, with the community philanthropy thing and it will definitely be appreciated and helpful up in those neighborhoods. But realistically, it won't reach wild animals like the boys who dropped that cart. Those are the kind of kids that have just been set adrift by shitty economics and poor parenting.

If you got some RC boats and tought them the basics in the pond in Central Park or even eventually got real time in some Lasers or Optis, you probably wouldn't be reach kids like that. They're already on the fringe, and sports and youth leagues have a hard time getting kids like that.

There are only two ways to get into the minds of little mobsters like them.

The first isn't an option because only a loved one can discipline them into reality, and that obviously didn't happen or they wouldn't have been cart-tossing little bastards who saw your wife and son down there and dropped the cart anyway.

The other way is money. Find a way to make after school jobs for them. Cleaning cages in a pet store, weeding community gardens, painting stoops, cleaning windows, picking up trash, working at the ASPCA, making keychains ... whatever. As long as it's legal and they have somewhere to go after school that will put money in a debit card with their name on it, they'll show up, they'll work, they'll learn respect and reality and that job will become the parent they obviously lack.

If you can start a youth sports team you can work with your employer to get something set up to make a hundred jobs in the neighborhood, each 2 hours per day, $7/hour, 5 days per week. Employer pays half, bank pays half, gets deducted from taxes as charitable giving.

Little feral fucks like those kids laugh at do-gooders, literally. They only respect a fist up their snoot and money. Get them before they find out how much money they can make illegally and they might have a chance.

A few years ago I had proposed something like this to a local judge who was also a member of our club to 'save' local shopping cart throwers in our area of which there is a good supply.

needed through donations and grants -

1. 40-45 foot racer and a berth, sails, etc (donations)

2. part time captain + running costs covered (grants)

3. supply of kids (from the judge)

From the parade that comes in front of him Judge would find kids on the edge, and give them the option of whatever shitty penalty they were going to get, and joining a program that would take them from maintainence thru to racing. Meet for maintenance and practice a couple times a week, etc. Same thing you would do with Left Hook, except these kids would have to be run through a metal detecor.

Idea was to teach team building, responsibility, planning, logiostics, etc. Most kids would cycle through a 6 or 8 week program. Some might catch on and stay longer. Some we could act as a feeder program for Hustler program. Some might stab you and leave right away.

The judge was keen on it and actually started to drive it. Together we had some local corporate sponsorships lined up, a slip, yard space, etc.

Unfortunately along came Lehman Bros, and the Judge passed away, misc. other things, and havent been able to get the same interest since then. Still would liek to try it some day.

The Judge was ahell of a guy.

ssi

If you break their knee caps they won't be able to push shopping carts. And that would be very charitable of you.

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
If you can start a youth sports team.............

Here's where you make your pitch to teach inner-city yoots the in's and out's of target shooting, as you've suggested before, Mike. I couldn't possibly expand on your idea better than you could. Even air rifles I suppose. Want to expand on that again?

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Another twist on the judge idea - is the middle school principal they can point kids headed down the wrong path to this type of program. You can double the push by tying a judge to the effort. However with the Principal feeding kids to a program you can also tap the parents earlier or at least have a slight chance of doing so - and have the same effect with not only the kid but also for the parent who no doubt suffers from the same basic behavior and lack of social skill and sense of civil responsibility which case you have a better chance of success with the kid and help make the parent a better contributor to society.

You will find that in the past prior to all the lawsuits and piles of added GOV requirements on teachers - that Teachers often ran and managed smaller programs like this after school and on weekends to help kids find a skill or interest that got them going in the right direction. Now days the motivation for teachers to do this is very low not to mention the resources ie the teachers income and time has become far far less making it pretty much a no go for most teachers now.

mikewof

mikewof

Here's where you make your pitch to teach inner-city yoots the in's and out's of target shooting, as you've suggested before, Mike. I couldn't possibly expand on your idea better than you could. Even air rifles I suppose. Want to expand on that again?
When I was a kid we did air rifle classes at the YMCA, but that wouldn't work for those cart-dropping little douchetwigs. Guns are for good kids who may not necessarily do well in sports and school.

Terminally naughty, destructive boys without parental discipline need jobs. Five days per week, two hours per day. And weekends for them to find a way to spend their money.

They actually lifted the cart over the rail, saw the Anarchist's wife and son down there and dropped it anyway. It's a miracle she wasn't killed and only the miracle of hard work or an effective parent can get through to monsters like that.

I don't like the idea of kids like that getting sailing lessons or sports leagues. Sounds too much like a reward for being horrid. The sailing and boat-building should be for good kids, not murderous ones that ruin lives ... sure, get caught selling a nickel bag of Mexican pot, they got downtown in the parking lot, judge wants to put a kid like that into a sailing program, okay.

But these kids are either much more dangerous or much more stupid ... put 'em to work.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Giuliani had a good idea for the squeegee guys - free Mcdonalds Happy meals and a one way bus ticket to Pittsburgh. Most never found their way back. But then the libs complained and put an end to it.
Easy for you to say, you don't live in Pittsburgh!

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Super Anarchist
New England
Had to do a search on the NY Times for that incident. November 11.

The kids were 12 and 14 years old. They thought they were just pulling a prank. Judge sentenced them to some kind of boarding school for troubled kids, and some serious therapy.

Most kids do stupid shit at that age. Old enough to cause real damage, but too young to understand that actions have consequences. Of course, most of us do stupid shit that doesn't seriously injure a couple of people. So as much as you'd like to send the punks to Rikers Island and not let them out until they can shit a softball, I'd say the judge did the right thing. And hope that the kids feel real contrition and go on to lead useful lives.

Student_Driver, I hope your wife fully recovers, and you're able to truly help these kids' peers.

When I was a kid we did air rifle classes at the YMCA, but that wouldn't work for those cart-dropping little douchetwigs. Guns are for good kids who may not necessarily do well in sports and school.

Terminally naughty, destructive boys without parental discipline need jobs. Five days per week, two hours per day. And weekends for them to find a way to spend their money.

They actually lifted the cart over the rail, saw the Anarchist's wife and son down there and dropped it anyway. It's a miracle she wasn't killed and only the miracle of hard work or an effective parent can get through to monsters like that.

I don't like the idea of kids like that getting sailing lessons or sports leagues. Sounds too much like a reward for being horrid. The sailing and boat-building should be for good kids, not murderous ones that ruin lives ... sure, get caught selling a nickel bag of Mexican pot, they got downtown in the parking lot, judge wants to put a kid like that into a sailing program, okay.

But these kids are either much more dangerous or much more stupid ... put 'em to work.
I'm sorry but I put these little fuckers in the same category as Dahmer, Manson, Gacy and that Norwegian cunt Brebiert whatever. Just pure, premeditated evil incarnate, with absolutely zero concern for the good people of this world. They fuking damn well knew what they were doing, and what the end consequences of this wreckless Einstein experiment would result in. In my opinion, these jack-holes are neither redeemable.....nor worth redeeming. Screw 'em, screw 'em to Hell and let them burn.....

mikewof

mikewof
In my opinion, these jack-holes are neither redeemable.....nor worth redeeming. Screw 'em, screw 'em to Hell and let them burn.....
Okay, well when you are able to add the Hyperbole Amendment to The Constitution, perhaps screwing them to hell will be a judge's option, until then, people at going to try to figure out how to prevent this before it happens.