Shore power inlet for battery charger

IStream

Super Anarchist
You drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the drop board very close to the top edge. Then saw down to the hole and remove the bit of wood or plastic...

This secret technique is what we in the industry call "a notch". I only offer this because I'm a nice guy. Don't spread this sort of secret around.

View attachment 473810
Dammit Zonk, we talked about this! No public disclosures until the patent is filed. Now we're fucked and we'll never get rich!

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
I never installed any sort of inlet or built in 120v system for the charger. Just ran a drop cord to the boat.

couldn't justify the weight of all that crap built into the boat. I know it aint a lot but lots of little shit adds up.
after reading subsequent posts in this thread I looked at the battery charger I had been using on the boat, and mine had a 2 prong plug on it... I never had any issues with zincs burning up or shafts or thru hulls either... 

put a little up angle on the hole you drill for the notch should keep water from gettin in ... 

GD that was similar to what I had in mind as well. If you had a fail-safe isolator and suitable breaker I think it's compliant with the rules? I am getting convinced about the 'no AC in boat' and solar panel maintainer since compliance seems more arduous that it's worth for a race boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
You drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the drop board very close to the top edge. Then saw down to the hole and remove the bit of wood or plastic...

This secret technique is what we in the industry call "a notch". I only offer this because I'm a nice guy. Don't spread this sort of secret around.

View attachment 473810
Thanks for this idea, but why would I drill a small hole in a removable part of the boat that’s easily replaced, when I can drill a big ass hole in another part of the boat that would be difficult and costly to repair? Jeesh! Of all the crazy ideas… I don’t see anybody granting a patent for “The Notch” 

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
We didn't patent it because then you have to disclose the information. By keeping it a trade secret you avoid that.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
We didn't patent it because then you have to disclose the information. By keeping it a trade secret you avoid that.
It would probably be really expensive and time consuming to have the attorneys draft and file such a complex patent anyhow. And don't forget, so many jurisdictions to deal with! Better to keep it proprietary and execute against it that way.  

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Thanks for this idea, but why would I drill a small hole in a removable part of the boat that’s easily replaced, when I can drill a big ass hole in another part of the boat that would be difficult and costly to repair? Jeesh! Of all the crazy ideas… I don’t see anybody granting a patent for “The Notch” 
do you have a welder?

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
I was kidding but sure would have thought welders needed more than 15A.

Still, I think he could do a cleaner job with the notch with a drill bit than a burned out hole from a welder.
I was surprised as well. New solid state Miller welder. For lighter TIG boat welds plug it in anywhere. For stick stuff on the tractor it needs a 240 outlet. Weighs nothing as well. 

On topic, the notch is what I would do. Holes in a boat are a sin. Especially for landlubber power cords. Seen bad enough weather that seawater was blowing into a tiny hole high up inside a cockpit cubby. Better it finds it way in thru an obvious hatch board notch rather than into a remote cabin area. 

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
The manual says:
"e) A marine (boat) battery must be removed and charged
on shore. To charge it on board requires equipment
specially designed for marine use."

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Blue-Smart-IP67-Charger-120V-EN-FR-ES.pdf

So, there's that.

Can you check for continuity between the earth pin and the battery negative?
I just measured for continuity on the Sterling Pro Charge. 

There is no continuity between the AC input ground and the Battery negative on the charger. 

However, there is a case ground on the charger which does have continuity to the AC input ground. If that case ground is connected to the boats grounding system and the battery’s negative are connected to the boats grounding system then there would be continuity from the AC input ground to the battery negative. 

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Well looky here! 

I devised a way to snake a 12ga cord around the drop board and still allow the hatch to fully close. I’m calling it the “No-Notch Shore Power Inlet” (Patent Pending)

0BDD7915-148B-448C-AAF5-4D2DC0A14664.jpeg