short term non skid?

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
So, on my irwin 30, there are about 6 soft deck core replacement to be done, and with my work schedule, its going to be be one area at a time.  And we are going to keep sailing regularly at the same time, on Lake Ray Hubbard.

The long term plan is to repaint the entire deck / cabin roof at the completion of the core replacement project. Either going to go with kiwigrip or alexseal/ soft sand.

For the affected areas, I will be cutting out the non-skid top skin, leaving room to scarf new glass on top of new core. Using poly / laminating resin so I can cope with unexpected interruptions.

Any recommendations on a temporary non skid solution that can be knocked down a bit when all complete and ready to do the final deck paint / nonskid?

Not interested in suggestions to bite the bullet and do it all at once. Life is too short to not sail at every possible chance!. Plus I would rather glass up a section under anchor than at the slip.

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
use peel ply on top of the last layup. peel off after cure , leaves a good non skid surface and eliminates a lot of sanding 

Last edited by a moderator:

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
use peel ply on top of the last layup. peel off after cure , leaves a good non skid surface and eliminates a lot of sanding 
Awesome -- thanks.... I had wondered about peel ply, didnt know if it would be too smooth.

Thanks again!

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
All good suggestions other than I want to have the end result being a reasonably classic non skid.

I'm not all that keen to apply something in the short term that I have to unstuck (tapes) or knock down (gel)

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
All good suggestions other than I want to have the end result being a reasonably classic non skid.

I'm not all that keen to apply something in the short term that I have to unstuck (tapes) or knock down (gel)
Removing the gel will take seconds.  The stuff is like butter to 40 grit.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
apply some  mold release to the section before you cut it out and make a mold of the section of the deck then use it use it as a mold for the top coat. such that your texture is pretty close to the surrounding non skid.  Yeah its an extra step.