Shorthanded cruiser search 33-37' and $60k budget

Grotesque

Chicago
After 50 years of sailing, most of that racing round the buoys at Chicago, I am looking for my next boat. This time, I'm looking for a cruiser. One that I can take out shorthanded or singlehanded. My budget is US$60k. I am looking at 33 to 37'. I am focused on fresh water boats. Here are some boats I have interest in, boats and pricing in the US. 

• S2 10.3 $23k
  • Frers 36 $39k
  • C&C 99 $59k
  • SO 36.2 $65k
  • SO 36i $70k
  • SO 37 $80k

These others are very interesting, but out of my price range: 

• Beneteau First 36.7 $77k
  • SF 37 $101k
  • J/120 $119k
  • J/109 $139k (I sold my J/105 in 2010. Great racer. Wet boat. Easy to sail solo on nicer days)
  • C&C 115 $149k

I am not looking for a project. I had one of those, a old Tartan 10, replacing most of the balsa core. Of course, marine hardware and electronics are always in need of attention. Every boat will have "projects". I am looking for something ready to use.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!  

Grotesque

Chicago
Freedom 35. 
Looking at photos, this is a beautiful boat. I have not sailed a Freedom, and it is evidently a good reacher and runner, but not a pointer.

Plus I love to hold on to the standing rigging, and this boat has none! Maybe that explains the low low prices.

Grotesque

Chicago
Georgeous boat out in Point Richmond CA for $50K. The seller states this: 
When Schumacher penned the Express 37, his objective was to design a boat that would excel on long ocean races, that was easy and safe to sail short-handed, and would have at least 6′ of standing headroom. The first boats built by Alsberg Brother Boatworks finished 1, 2 and 3 in the 1985 TransPac, an ocean race held on the West Coast. There were eventually 65 built and these boats continue to compile an enviable record.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Smaller Beneteau 31.7 (assuming they sold those in US)

J92 sails very nicely solo but I imagine not enough of a cruiser for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Georgeous boat out in Point Richmond CA for $50K. The seller states this: 
When Schumacher penned the Express 37, his objective was to design a boat that would excel on long ocean races, that was easy and safe to sail short-handed, and would have at least 6′ of standing headroom. The first boats built by Alsberg Brother Boatworks finished 1, 2 and 3 in the 1985 TransPac, an ocean race held on the West Coast. There were eventually 65 built and these boats continue to compile an enviable record.

I think @Raz'r had one.  Raced it and cruised it as well. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Looking at photos, this is a beautiful boat. I have not sailed a Freedom, and it is evidently a good reacher and runner, but not a pointer.

Plus I love to hold on to the standing rigging, and this boat has none! Maybe that explains the low low prices.
it points fine for a cruiser. I have the bigger sister, the Freedom 45. I don't even know what to say about your second comment.

pironiero

One in Spain for $134k. Not this one - it's near-new, yes, but it's budget anarchy !

I'm finding some good cruiser racers at $60k. 
that because you trying to buy from resellers, you can get it for like 55k new from factory and cruise it to your home

Grotesque

Chicago
Does anyone have experience with the Thomas 35? The Tartan-built Thomas 35 seems like a good racer/cruiser. One available in Great Lakes selling for $36k. PHRF rating of 72.  Is this a "good" Tartan or a bad one in terms of build?  I did own and race a T-10 in the 1990's. The T-10 had build issues, and I found Tartan support to be poor.

Thomas 35.png