Should a sitting Supreme campaign for a candidate?

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida
I don't know if anyone Supreme on the right has done this but but I would find it just as distasteful if they have or do so in the future.

A Supreme should not be political. Shame on Ginsurg

WASHINGTON (AP) — Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she doesn't want to think about the possibility of Donald Trump winning the White House, and she predicts the next president — "whoever she will be" — will have a few appointments to make to the Supreme Court.

In an interview Thursday in her court office, the 83-year-old justice and leader of the court's liberal wing said she presumes Democrat Hillary Clinton will be the next president. Asked what if Republican Donald Trump won instead, she said, "I don't want to think about that possibility, but if it should be, then everything is up for grabs."

That includes the future of the high court itself, on which she is the oldest justice. Two justices, Anthony Kennedy and Stephen Breyer, are in their late 70s.

"It's likely that the next president, whoever she will be, will have a few appointments to make," Ginsburg said, smiling.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
I believe I have heard previous personal remarks about who other sitting justices have favored. I do not remember any justice showing up on the stage at a campaign rally.

I guess Ruth shares my low level of respect for Don.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Citizens United has had a profound effect on state judicial elections, if they have an effect on the Supreme Court, isn't that just a natural progression of the Citizens United decision?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Comments equal Campaign in Happy Jackoff Land. as Eva Dent. Sunday morning and wading through all the stupid.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Turd Sandwich said:
Citizens United has had a profound effect on state judicial elections, if they have an effect on the Supreme Court, isn't that just a natural progression of the Citizens United decision?
But what will all of your lefty politicians do for money. Funny how no one seems to realize that All of them like it and want it no matter what they say on the soap box. Criminality it truly bipartisan
The money in politics is an issue for all Americans. Unfortunately, now that we have opened the flood gates it will be nearly impossible to close them, but we need to try.

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida
Looks like I'm not alone in questioning Ginsburg's conduct.

Capture.jpg

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I'm not buying it. Even a Supreme Court justice has 1st Amendment protections and it isn't as if we haven't been down this road before, what with Scalia grouse hunting with Dick Cheney in an election year, or how Clarence Thomas got a pass from his wife's political activities. I say forget it, besides, who tells any 83 year old woman what to do anyway?

tuk tuk Joe

Super Anarchist
SEA
I'm not buying it. Even a Supreme Court justice has 1st Amendment protections and it isn't as if we haven't been down this road before, what with Scalia grouse hunting with Dick Cheney in an election year, or how Clarence Thomas got a pass from his wife's political activities. I say forget it, besides, who tells any 83 year old woman what to do anyway?
NOTE: This was written by a Hypocrite. :rolleyes:

quod umbra

Super Anarchist
I strongly disagree Dog. The answer is in fact NO!

The Supremes are to be the ultimate arbiter. They really need to be apolitical. While that is a great deal to ask of any human, they at least need to put up they appearance of being apolitical. Removed from the political theater.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I would have preferred that she kept silent, but in fact, there is no rule keeping her so. This is no different from Scalia making his private thoughts well known, traveling with Cheney during an election year, Thomas, having a wife who is a Tea Party official and makes her politics known, or Alito mouthing "not true" at the State of the Union.

We have seen plenty of incidents, obviously less is more in this case, but there is no hard and fast rule prohibiting it.

All that said, I found Donald Trump's counterattack just as distasteful.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Turd Sandwich said:
I guess when bad taste and a lack of tact becomes a crime for an old woman then there might be something to this. She should have kept her thoughts out of the press but she didnt. Was it lame yeah in my book it was but lame isnt against the law
Agree and if she continues it needs to be addressed.

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
Judicial code of conduct says sitting judges should not advocate for or against political candidates. She broke the code for whatever reason. (I understand her dislike of Trump but I can say so since I am not a judge.) My guess is RBG she is waiting for president Hillary so she can retire.