Should Folks Who Can't Read ... Vote?

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Just reading an article in ProPublica ProP about a woman dedicated to helping illiterates to vote. She's also helping folks who apparently cannot fill out simple forms correctly to register and whatnot.

I realize 110% that this is a liberal bastion of sanity and intellect so I ask ... humbly AF ... why would we want these people to vote? Same with 18 yo kids. At that point they're aping their parents. Big whoop either way. I've seen pulenty of political questions on ballots that were worded ambiguously, Cal propostitions come to mind but ballot questions don't have to be written obfuscationally.

Can't fucking read, can't fucking vote. This is like a QED thing isn't it?

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Just reading an article in ProPublica ProP about a woman dedicated to helping illiterates to vote. She's also helping folks who apparently cannot fill out simple forms correctly to register and whatnot.

I realize 110% that this is a liberal bastion of sanity and intellect so I ask ... humbly AF ... why would we want these people to vote? Same with 18 yo kids. At that point they're aping their parents. Big whoop either way. I've seen pulenty of political questions on ballots that were worded ambiguously, Cal propostitions come to mind but ballot questions don't have to be written obfuscationally.

Well, just look where voting for the educated got us.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Citizens should be able to vote unless they've lost their rights either via felony activities, or if they are wards of the state due to mental illness, etc. The rest should be encouraged to vote.

And the voter being educated is just one more reason for public schooling.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
The loser guy can't read and not only does he vote, but he claims that votes cast for him are changed to other candidates.... So yeah. Illiterates should be able to vote, but only ONCE, not like the loser guy's pals.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Are you kidding? That whole article is about a sick concept - voter suppression!
Yes it is but I just raised a quite separate succinct issue.
Citizens should be able to vote unless they've lost their rights either via felony activities, or if they are wards of the state due to mental illness, etc. The rest should be encouraged to vote.

And the voter being educated is just one more reason for public schooling.
Sorry cap, not responsive. See Stingray's comment.

Not rocket science fellas. Should vote if ya cain't write yer address on a form?

Germane comments welcome. I already know the knee jerk response. Been here 10 years.

Bueller?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist

I respect the vote of an illiterate homeless person over about 30% of the electorate.

Yes.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Yes it is but I just raised a quite separate succinct issue.

Sorry cap, not responsive. See Stingray's comment.

Not rocket science fellas. Should vote if ya cain't write yer address on a form?

Germane comments welcome. I already know the knee jerk response. Been here 10 years.

Bueller?
Pretty much everyone is saying yes. might want to work on your literacy.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
What-all Americans would you like to prevent from voting?? Good grief, the whole idea is completely nuts.

Voting should be made as easy as possible, or it's no longer a democracy.
I say again, this is about non-readers voting.

Like ... it's in the thread title. What, exactly, is unclear here?

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
A better question should be? politicians running should take a test on The US constitution. Declaration of independence, Bill of rights, Geography of USA and parts of the world.
I wonder how many would pass the same test to be a citizen, we probably get rid of half of Congress and the last President.
Also, to vote, Taxation without representation, so bottom line if you have a social Security card and pay taxes you vote,

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Same with 18 yo kids. At that point they're aping their parents.
Maybe you did but I voted differently than my parents in almost every election from the first time I was eligible.

As for letting illiterates vote - look at it this way, at least they aren't basing their vote on ignorance and stupidity they read on Faceplant or Twits-R-Us

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
If only we had a way of transmitting voices and images into peoples homes so that illiteracy wasn’t as big an obstacle to understanding issues and candidates positions.

Then you could educate voters on the news of the day. We could even have planned arguments between the candidates answering relevant questions and people observing this event could make up their minds who they favor.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
On the upside, it would almost exclusively apply to Retardican voters.
:)

I do get that funny argument but will also acknowledge that people who do suffer from real retardation or other maladies and who do not follow or understand civics, should probably not be 'used' and corralled by others into voting the way those others may prefer.

My gf simply goes down the ballot list voting D, without really caring who the candidates are. Me, there are times the R candidate actually is smarter and so I vote for them.