Should Folks Who Can't Read ... Vote?

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
as a simple answer .. sadly yes they should
the ability to read isn't the ability to work things out
some dyslexics have huge problems reading .. some would also wipe your ass at chess
some rated genius have problems with grammar and spelling ..
most of the people i come accross that qualify as grammar nazi's are of very average intelligence .. but think they can rise above because they can spell .. actually it's better to think well than spell well
nuff said

If only we had a way of transmitting voices and images into peoples homes so that illiteracy wasn’t as big an obstacle to understanding issues and candidates positions.

Then you could educate voters on the news of the day. We could even have planned arguments between the candidates answering relevant questions and people observing this event could make up their minds who they favor.
What are you? Some sort of radical science fiction fan?

That's crazy talk there!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yes it is but I just raised a quite separate succinct issue.

Sorry cap, not responsive. See Stingray's comment.

Not rocket science fellas. Should vote if ya cain't write yer address on a form?

Germane comments welcome. I already know the knee jerk response. Been here 10 years.

Bueller?
yes, you should be able to vote regardless of your ability to read. Are you a citizen? Yes/No - that should be the only criteria

Not whether you have a permanent address
not whether you can read
not whether you pay taxes
or can pay a registration fee
or carry an ID

One person, one vote. Pretty simple really.

as a simple answer .. sadly yes they should
the ability to read isn't the ability to work things out
some dyslexics have huge problems reading .. some would also wipe your ass at chess
some rated genius have problems with grammar and spelling ..
most of the people i come accross that qualify as grammar nazi's are of very average intelligence .. but think they can rise above because they can spell .. actually it's better to think well than spell well
nuff said
Some people actually attempt to use proper English. It's been said that failure to use capitalization and/or punctuation is likely a sign that the writer doesn't actually know how and when to capitalize and is covering for their ignorance.

But I agree: it's not a sign of intelligence.

Also, I disagree that it's "sad" that all citizens should be allowed to vote.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I respect the vote of an illiterate homeless person over about 30% of the electorate.

Yes.
But around here, most of us respect the average homeless person more than an idiot dumb enough to get a DUI on a Vespa.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Just reading an article in ProPublica ProP about a woman dedicated to helping illiterates to vote. She's also helping folks who apparently cannot fill out simple forms correctly to register and whatnot.

I realize 110% that this is a liberal bastion of sanity and intellect so I ask ... humbly AF ... why would we want these people to vote? Same with 18 yo kids. At that point they're aping their parents. Big whoop either way. I've seen pulenty of political questions on ballots that were worded ambiguously, Cal propostitions come to mind but ballot questions don't have to be written obfuscationally.

Can't fucking read, can't fucking vote. This is like a QED thing isn't it?
I don't think being illiterate should be a barrier to vote. There are some smart people who can't read.

However, if you don't have at least a basic grasp of the issues and the candidate's stances and can't at least articulate that in the most simplest way - then NO, you should absolutely not be allowed to vote.

Short of that, we should require that ALL ballots from Dog catcher to POTUS have all party affiliations removed. You should no longer be able to vote for party and it would force you to at least know who the candidate is or just randomly choose names. That would probably (random chance) would at least probably be better than the current Party name system we have now.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I don't think being illiterate should be a barrier to vote. There are some smart people who can't read.

However, if you don't have at least a basic grasp of the issues and the candidate's stances and can't at least articulate that in the most simplest way - then NO, you should absolutely not be allowed to vote.

Short of that, we should require that ALL ballots from Dog catcher to POTUS have all party affiliations removed. You should no longer be able to vote for party and it would force you to at least know who the candidate is or just randomly choose names. That would probably (random chance) would at least probably be better than the current Party name system we have now.

Running as Aaron Aardvark might be a winning tactic.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I don't understand Blueys reasoning here.
Is he suggesting that those that can't read or write, cant hear or speak or think either?

Hmm. Maybe we should take the vote from all those hearing and sight impaired too. A lot of older people in that cohort.
Can't read? Damn there go all the useless talking books. cant write? another thing effecting older people and their poor old arthritic hands.

Why don't you say what you really mean Bluey?
Take the vote from those that need it most. The badly schooled. IOW..the poor.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Just reading an article in ProPublica ProP about a woman dedicated to helping illiterates to vote. She's also helping folks who apparently cannot fill out simple forms correctly to register and whatnot.

I realize 110% that this is a liberal bastion of sanity and intellect so I ask ... humbly AF ... why would we want these people to vote? Same with 18 yo kids. At that point they're aping their parents. Big whoop either way. I've seen pulenty of political questions on ballots that were worded ambiguously, Cal propostitions come to mind but ballot questions don't have to be written obfuscationally.

Can't fucking read, can't fucking vote. This is like a QED thing isn't it?
Is this a joke or are you unfamiliar with the history of literacy tests for voting?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Is he suggesting that those that can't read or write, cant hear or speak or think either?

Hmm. Maybe we should take the vote from all those hearing and sight impaired too. A lot of older people in that cohort.
Can't read? Damn there go all the useless talking books. cant write? another thing effecting older people and their poor old arthritic hands.

You would like Chicago then, you don't even have to be alive to vote :rolleyes:

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
So what do we do about the visually impaired (previously called 'blind')? People who can't write? Those with a severe hand tremor who can't hold a pen? C'mon, let's list a few more thousands who deserve to be disenfranchised in our wonderful representative democracy.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!

Being serious now, the South has quite the history of "literacy tests" and such applied only to the darker types of voters to ensure White rule. I am guessing our resident crustacean maybe forgot about how that worked out last time it was tried.