Should Folks Who Can't Read ... Vote?

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
You really should be grovelling a lot more for a mistake like that.

You're right, that was stupid of me and it was insulting to dfw_sailor who does not at all deserve it. I really am sorry and I realize that I am now diminished in the opinions of the rest of you all.

Lesson: If you are going to post deliberate insults, have the perspicacity to not have a video game running in another window.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
You're right, that was stupid of me and it was insulting to dfw_sailor who does not at all deserve it. I really am sorry and I realize that I am now diminished in the opinions of the rest of you all.

Lesson: If you are going to post deliberate insults, have the perspicacity to not have a video game running in another window.
NO ONE deserves to be compared to the V thing.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

Still not enough - something more like this is required for such an insult.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW

As penance ( long ex Catholic altar boy here) I should demand you immediately fly to Texas and finish sanding prep for me. It's only 90f, 70 percent humidity and variable wind mostly from the wrong direction.

But that would be cruel. So have a great afternoon instead!

Taking breaks so heat exhaustion doesn't kick in again.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
How about if I just kneel on some sandpaper while I think about how woefully I have sinned, both in words here and in deeds by neglecting my own varnish?

{edit to add} don't use Petit Admiral. I used it early this spring and 7 coats it lasted only a couple of weeks in our sun. In your sun down there it would probably start peeling before you even get it out of the can.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
How about if I just kneel on some sandpaper while I think about how woefully I have sinned, both in words here and in deeds by neglecting my own varnish?

{edit to add} don't use Petit Admiral. I used it early this spring and 7 coats it lasted only a couple of weeks in our sun. In your sun down there it would probably start peeling before you even get it out of the can.
Yeah, that's punishment enough.

I'm trying total boat, single pot poly, over TB primer, over TB poly resin / fairing. Boat is 50 years old next year.

Apart from the foredeck which is not too bad, the rest of the boat likes like this atm..

IMG-20220920-WA0003.jpeg

Photo 2 weeks old, all deck hardware removed now with final prep today / tomorrow.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Did you put on the self-tailers? Good upgrade IMHO.
Yes. Details over in the $1 Irwin 30 thread. I'm going to do photo updates over there in few weeks.

Got them for free (ex siedelmann 29), along with a whole bunch of hardware upgrades from various zombie boats.

Electronics not free though.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Thoroughly wrong.

To quote Wikipedia:

Literacy in the United States was determined by the National Center for Education Statistics to be at a mid to high level in 2019, at 79%, with 21% of American adults categorized as having "low level English literacy," including 4.1% classified as "functionally illiterate" and an additional 4% that could not participate. According to the U.S. Department of Education, 54% of adults in the United States have prose literacy below the 6th-grade level.
Your stats would agree with my idea about where the emphasis should be. These guys have the US at 99%. Obviously, it depends on the definition of literacy.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/literacy-rate-by-country

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Legislating some standards for how ballot measures and candidate positions are phrased could help a lot on the lower end of the literacy spectrum. I get a fairly well produced voting guide from the county every election. It does a good job explaining things and clears up some potential areas of confusion, but there's usually at least one item where it's not entirely clear what the effect of a vote will be in practical terms. It's easy enough for me to find more info to figure things out, but plenty of people won't have the time or take the initiative.

Of course that's all moot if they can't (or won't) read the resources to begin with.

bowman81

Super Anarchist
Australia
Every single citizen should be able to vote, even felons and if other voters are concerned about the people or policies the illiterate, or uneducated, or uninformed voters are supporting then maybe they should feel vote for the people and policies that would address the root societal causes rather than trying to disenfranchise a segment of society.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Every single citizen should be able to vote, even felons and if other voters are concerned about the people or policies the illiterate, or uneducated, or uninformed voters are supporting then maybe they should feel vote for the people and policies that would address the root societal causes rather than trying to disenfranchise a segment of society.
The founders thought that every person should vote. However, it seems the originalists get to pick and choose among the sacred texts depending on the immediate needs of their oppression campaign.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Legislating some standards for how ballot measures and candidate positions are phrased could help a lot on the lower end of the literacy spectrum. I get a fairly well produced voting guide from the county every election. It does a good job explaining things and clears up some potential areas of confusion, but there's usually at least one item where it's not entirely clear what the effect of a vote will be in practical terms. It's easy enough for me to find more info to figure things out, but plenty of people won't have the time or take the initiative.

Of course that's all moot if they can't (or won't) read the resources to begin with.
You need an Electoral Commission .
It's all very well to talk of your county producing a good voting guide, but if things are as bad as the article in the OP suggest re voter suppression.
one county does not a fair election make.
Besides, when the USA electoral system is as complicated and arduous as it seems to be, what's the point of handing out leaflets?

I struggle to find any useful information about our local councilor candidates that they didn't write themselves. And there's usually only three or four.
Frankly, there's too many elected official positions in the USA IMHO, and the idea that one has to vote for them all on the same day (in some states) is mind boggling.

Here in Australia, in all states and all municipalities, officials turn cartwheels with no knickers to get people to vote and keep things as simple as possible.
In the USA it appears to be the opposite.
A system designed to serve multiple tiny backwoods hamlets and discourage non landowners, slaves, indentured servants and convicts from voting just might need an overhaul

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
You need an Electoral Commission .
It's all very well to talk of your county producing a good voting guide, but if things are as bad as the article in the OP suggest re voter suppression.
one county does not a fair election make.
Besides, when the USA electoral system is as complicated and arduous as it seems to be, what's the point of handing out leaflets?

I struggle to find any useful information about our local councilor candidates that they didn't write themselves. And there's usually only three or four.
Frankly, there's too many elected official positions in the USA IMHO, and the idea that one has to vote for them all on the same day (in some states) is mind boggling.

Here in Australia, in all states and all municipalities, officials turn cartwheels with no knickers to get people to vote and keep things as simple as possible.
In the USA it appears to be the opposite.
A system designed to serve multiple tiny backwoods hamlets and discourage non landowners, slaves, indentured servants and convicts from voting just might need an overhaul
As an aside, I heard today (On NPR NO LESS!) what "Bob" actually means.....
Big Ol' Butt! :giggle: :p

Latest posts