Should the DOJ refrain from prosecuting trump to avoid the inevitable violence?

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
From an interesting NYT article in my email news feed this am:
The Ohio man who attacked the F.B.I. field office in Cincinnati this month was, in fact, outside the Capitol on Jan. 6. The F.B.I. investigated his role in the riot but never arrested him.​
In a larger sense, one researcher has found that 15 to 20 million Americans think violence would be justified to return Trump to office. We’ve seen this in the reaction to the Mar-a-Lago raid, but I’m also concerned about what a potential criminal prosecution of Trump could bring. What will the reaction be if Trump is indicted? What will happen on the day he appears in court? What will happen if he goes to trial and is convicted? There may be moments when the risk of violence in defense of Trump is high.​
So if we know that violence is likely inevitable if he does get indicted and convicted - should the DOJ weigh that into their decision making as they go forward?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Jeff, you know that saying? If you have to ask???????? If you are just lonely and need to start a thread call the 1-800-needafriend

mikewof

mikewof
No, the threat of violence shouldn't deter their prosecution, and I suspect there wouldn't be that much violence anyway.

But, neither should they prioritize their prosecution of him just because he in an ex-President. If there really is the bandwidth for his case, beyond the desperate need to get sex traffickers, insider traders, racketeers and polluters on the dock, then okay, But is there that extra bandwidth? I find Trump's case less important than industrial pollution and sex-trafficking.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
1661145457547.png

Reactions: Mid

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
If the stupid want a gun fight because the DOJ says their haloed leader broke the law I say bring it.
Perhaps you can finally retire the Confederate Flag as it should have been in 1865, when they lost the first time, put the Trumpalos on notice.
The majority has had enough of the Bullshit.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit

So if we know that violence is likely inevitable if he does get indicted and convicted - should the DOJ weigh that into their decision making as they go forward?
Jeff, this isn't grade school, put on your big boy pants and hope for compromise.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
How come minor enemies of the USA regularly get the benefit of extra-judicial termination?

Couldn’t some cloak and dagger agency convertly transition a treasonous politician to the same revered status enjoyed by JFK Jr., for example.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

No.

Fucknuts are gonna fucknut, no matter the outcome.

If they want to choose Death by Posse Commitatus, well that would be unfortunate. But I don't think it would come even to that, probably not even calling out the national guard.

The vast majority of Trump cultists are neither organized, disciplined, and dedicated enough to go full-metal crazy and start attacking the government with their stroke-off collections.

Yes, you're going to get some isolated stupids like the clown in Ohio, and you may still get a few dozen Proud Boys trying to attack another Pride parade. But the numbers of people who are actually crazy enough to actually put down their beer, turn off Fox news, and get up off the couch to go out and start shooting at Federal buildings?

I think your numbers there are in the hundreds, not thousands or tens of thousands.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
No, try hime and confine hime at Gwantanimo Bay. Keepe blasteng beere adda, Dorittos commercialles, updattes on heate/droutte, invassion of lanttern fly............ theylle forgette alle aboute hime befoire springe traineng. :)

Last edited:

BeSafe

Super Anarchist

I agree with BJ. That ship has sailed. The choice to 'not prosecute' was made when they executed the search warrant. If they found something, prosecute. If they didn't, then don't prosecute.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
No. Fuck no. Should the Untied States of America be held hostage because of the threat of violence, or the country being torn apart? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we already are torn apart And we already have violence.

Stick with the rule of law, and nobody being above it. Investigate crimes not people and go where the facts lead. Wherever they lead. Do not succumb to hostage letters.