Should there be a nut on this?

Mek

This is the underside of a stanchion base and one of the spinaker sheet blocks on a new boat. Is it normal/expected to not see any kind of nuts on these bolts? I guess there might be something glassed in that these are screwed in to?

20211229_095436.jpg

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Might be an aluminum tapping plate. If just 1 nut was missing, replace the nut, but 3 missing is deliberate on the part of the builder. 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
There's a hint of a glassed in plate on the right of the pic - but without removing a fastener you're just guessing. What's under all the other deck fittings??

Mek

Cleats and winches, as well as the pulpit do all have nuts, other smaller fittings that I looked at (didn't pull out all the roof lining) look similar to this. I agree that since they are all like this it's unlikely to be a mistake.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I'd still pull at least the smaller fasteners to confirm the existence of a glassed in plate and to add TefGel to facilitate future disassembly.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
^^^   Hard to tell what the builder's concepts were if some do/some don't have washers/nuts. His standards may not be yours. Trust but verify just what the threads are gripping.

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
I am not saying you should remove the bolts/screws, but I am just asking, how hard would it be to unscrew them from above? If you unscrew the bolts or screws you will have a better idea what is going on.

This is the underside of a stanchion base and one of the spinaker sheet blocks on a new boat. Is it normal/expected to not see any kind of nuts on these bolts? I guess there might be something glassed in that these are screwed in to?

View attachment 482120
well it looks like at least two of those bolts had washers on them previously...    clean up the threads and add some washers and nuts..  i mean that's a cheap fix as opposed to something being ripped out of the deck when you least want it to...      and like said before... call the builder..

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
General rule of thumb (in metal) is that the length of engaged thread (in the plate or nut) should be equal to the diameter of the bolt, or better. I'd really want to know what was holding the threads shown esp the stanchion bolt.

Startracker

Van Isl.
well it looks like at least two of those bolts had washers on them previously...    clean up the threads and add some washers and nuts..  i mean that's a cheap fix as opposed to something being ripped out of the deck when you least want it to...      and like said before... call the builder..
I dunno about that, to me that looks like ham fisted installer.  Bolt was hanging up partway, hit with hammer.  Results in a delamination in the glass around the bolt just like that.  Also if there's a backing plate in there and the hole wasn't quite lined up, when tightening it it will do that.

Whatever is in there, I'd feel better with some nuts myself.  

Son of Hans

San Diego
I suppose it is conceivable that a builder could laminate some non-ferrous metal into the deck, then drill and tap it for placing hardware, but I can't imagine any builder making that choice.  It is costlier, slower and structurally inferior to a nut and a fender washer.  I spent a summer once bolting deck hardware onto production sailboats and there is no way we would have gone to that trouble.  In short, I'd get nuts and washers onto those puppies, pronto.