Shoulder Pain Anarchy

sheethead

Branford CT
Like clockwork every year my shoulders start giving me serious pain a month into the sailing season. I recon it is from ginding and trimming, my shoulder tendons get a real sharp pain and I can't raise my arms over my head. Kinda sucks.

Talking to other grinding afficinatos, seems like this is pretty common. Anyone have any good stretches they do to keep the shoulders moving?

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
first quit jerking off so hard

here is a good stretch and can be done from different angles to affect different areas..

stand up and stretch both arms overhead, take one hand and grab the opposite elbow... now lean in the opposite direction of the elbow and give some additional leverage with your hand ... it's like pulling your arm to the opposite side of the body...

now you can lower your arms and change the angle..

also a good warm up is arm circles.. forwards and backwards..

and once again google is your friend..

http://www.google.com/search?q=shoulder+stretches&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kkEVUeroEeqY2AXI34HoCw&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1016&bih=560

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Like clockwork every year my shoulders start giving me serious pain a month into the sailing season. I recon it is from ginding and trimming, my shoulder tendons get a real sharp pain and I can't raise my arms over my head. Kinda sucks.

Talking to other grinding afficinatos, seems like this is pretty common. Anyone have any good stretches they do to keep the shoulders moving?
Deep in the shoulder, or just in front?

I found acupuncture works for tendonitis/bursitis. As Shibby said, I needed the cortisone short for the "shoulder impingement" with is inflammation deep within the shoulder, pressing on all your arm and hand nerves. One shot and problem SOLved. Tendonitis can be dealt with, shoulder impingement, not so much.

Dorado

Super Anarchist
You can fix this in 3 simple steps

1. Get MRI

2. Have torn rotator arthroscopically repaired

3. Spend the next 8 months contemplating how annoying it is to grow old.

Fixed !

Easy peezy lemon squeezy :blink:

I did it last year <_<

Headntac

Super Anarchist
Drink more tap water....ha.!!! lubricates the joints....specially as your gettin older... :blink: worked for me...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Where exactly is the pain and what movement is restricted?

I had sharp pain on the outside of my shoulder and couldn't lift my arm up at all, I could use my other hand to put the sore one on the gear stick of the car then I could change gears without issue.

Exercise: Look at the ceiling the alternately (gently) punch the ceiling with each hand, not straight up but high. Yea it's sore but it does strengthen up the right places.

And go see a physio.

A

Amati

If you can't raise your arms over your head see a doc.

Head it off at the pass. Now, so PT has a chance.

Recovering from shoulder surgery is just about the most painful thing you can experience. Most do not sleep for a month. I didn't.

Too much pain.

left hook

Super Anarchist
Follow up shoulder question. In cold, damp conditions my shoulders become sore and achy and painful. Skiing on warmer days, sailing on misty/cold days, walking around outside in early march damp coldness. Is that just "getting old" or is it a muscle thing?

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
If you can't raise your arms over your head see a doc.

Head it off at the pass. Now, so PT has a chance.

Recovering from shoulder surgery is just about the most painful thing you can experience. Most do not sleep for a month. I didn't.

Too much pain.
Two words; Morphine Pump.Wasn't until my third shoulder surgery that I learned this.