Show me your blue boats!

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
Of all the things I love about our boat, the color scheme has never been one of them; something about it seemed a bit too boy-racer to me.  Now it's time to redo our topsides paint and I'm looking for inspiration.  I'm a traditionalist and would go for Stars and Stripes with a gold cove stripe if it were up to me, but Mrs. ChrisJD thinks that's too traditional.  Anyone got any brilliant suggestions, other than the standard navy-with-white or navy-with-gold?  Possibly more of a grayish-blue than just blue (though I've seen some lovely royal blue boats as well)?

Here she was five seasons ago, when her paint job at least looked as good as intended:

Pinniped.jpg

accnick

Super Anarchist
Stars&Stripes blue is really nice. If we re-paint our boat--it is long overdue--we will probably go that route.

Flag Blue now, but so are 75% of downeast powerboats, or so it seems.

lom

Seattle
Here is ours! We even have a blue spar, making her quite easy to spot at a distance. I really like the blue hulls, it just seems fitting for sailing yachts. Side note, that is not me driving though I obviously have a fun captian's hat as well. 

IMG-20210825-WA0003.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Stars&Stripes blue is really nice. If we re-paint our boat--it is long overdue--we will probably go that route.

Flag Blue now, but so are 75% of downeast powerboats, or so it seems.
IMO S&S blue it too pale & wishy washy. Flag blue is way too dark - you can only tell it's blue in bright sunlight

Proper navy blue or Interlux "Dark Blue" with gold stripes is quite simply unbeatable. Just reeks of class and "yacht".

Also IMO.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I stuck with the original red stripes and maroon canvas, but now I wish I'd changed it to khaki or gray accents.  All the original red has been replaced or repainted by now, so I coulda been done!  Not sure how khaki would look as stripes - maybe the gray.  With the red, it ends up looking a bit too much like Superman's underwear.  

Got a little dizzy working on the boat when the paint was new because I actually couldn't tell where the boat ended and the sky started.  Or maybe that was the fumes... :unsure:

sky.jpg

But it eventually got dirty...

IMG_1384.jpeg

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
Port Clyde, this past August. Looks like the folks offloading at the dock didn't get the memo.

@bgytr, would love to see more pictures of that color - it looks a bit more royal-blue than our Flag Blue, but still pretty and traditional. But still looking for more blues!

Port Clyde.jpg