Show me your blue boats!

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
Thanks guys. @Cruisin Loser, is that Aristo as well? And @Veeger, is that S&S?

One of the things that hadn't occurred to me until I started googling around for other paint threads is how much a lighter blue like S&S could hide scratches, compared to the Flag Blue that we've got today. I'm assuming Aristo may be closer to Flag than S&S in this regard. We have a decent number of scratches from our marina's launch (and from being too close to other mooring balls) that I try to keep up with but show up again by the end of the season, to my great regret.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Here's a serious blue: 

Piera bow (1 of 1).jpg

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist

One of the things that hadn't occurred to me until I started googling around for other paint threads is how much a lighter blue like S&S could hide scratches, compared to the Flag Blue that we've got today. I'm assuming Aristo may be closer to Flag than S&S in this regard. We have a decent number of scratches from our marina's launch (and from being too close to other mooring balls) that I try to keep up with but show up again by the end of the season, to my great regret.
Yes, but it could appear almost black in certain light. She really hid scratches well. 

sailing 001.jpg

Veeger

Super Anarchist

Yes,  Awlgrip Stars and Stripes blue.  I've noted that there are some variations on that S&S blue, probably from manufacturer to manufacturer, if not from individual blends.  Some seem to have a touch more grey in them than others.  I was very happy with how mine turned out.  Curiously, my 'next' boat may have a Mist Green or Grey Green hull color (unless I'm outvoted by the Admiral...)

accnick

Super Anarchist
Yes,  Awlgrip Stars and Stripes blue.  I've noted that there are some variations on that S&S blue, probably from manufacturer to manufacturer, if not from individual blends.  Some seem to have a touch more grey in them than others.  I was very happy with how mine turned out.  Curiously, my 'next' boat may have a Mist Green or Grey Green hull color (unless I'm outvoted by the Admiral...)
I'm not sure if it is differences from paint brand to paint brand, or differences in the way the same color reflects different light. Sometimes it looks almost robin's egg blue, other times almost grey. I like it a bit more on the grey scale.

That is my only reservation in repainting with S&S blue. My Awlgrip Flag Blue hull looks nice, but the dark color shows every flaw, especially salt after a good day's run.

Decisions, decisions

IMG_1104.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MSA 02129

Hi ChrisJD, I don't have a blue boat to show but we also have a Sabre in Boston that wants new AwlGrip.  Have you decided where you'll have yours painted?  We are leaning toward Stars and Stripes but haven't figured out where to have it done.  Any recommendations are very welcome.

Here's ours, with the camera intentionally avoiding the scratched bits:

July 2018 Photo.jpg

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
@MSA 02129, welcome aboard - nice looking boat. We keep our boat at Hawthorne Cove in Salem, both summer and winter, and will be using their new paint shop, largely because we've had them do a ton of work for us over the last twelve months and have found they've gotten a lot better on project management (they have a couple of new team members who are dedicated to managing customer projects, and they did a good job last winter on a whole bunch of work for me, after struggling previously with a leaner staff).

That said, they're new at painting, and so they don't have the same record that some of the other shops in the area do.  When I was first exploring this a year or two ago, people seemed to think that Parker's in Cataumet was the class of the area for cosmetic work, but I have no first-hand experience with them.  My yard used to send out their boats to a paint shop in Plymouth but I don't know which one.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
@MSA 02129, welcome aboard - nice looking boat. We keep our boat at Hawthorne Cove in Salem, both summer and winter, and will be using their new paint shop, largely because we've had them do a ton of work for us over the last twelve months and have found they've gotten a lot better on project management (they have a couple of new team members who are dedicated to managing customer projects, and they did a good job last winter on a whole bunch of work for me, after struggling previously with a leaner staff).

That said, they're new at painting, and so they don't have the same record that some of the other shops in the area do.  When I was first exploring this a year or two ago, people seemed to think that Parker's in Cataumet was the class of the area for cosmetic work, but I have no first-hand experience with them.  My yard used to send out their boats to a paint shop in Plymouth but I don't know which one.
I can vouch for Parker's as a first class yard, perhaps the best south of the Cape Cod Canal. I kept my Hinckley there for 6 years because the service was superior. Not cheaper, but excellent. They are still fine friends.

I only left because I got a boat with too much draft for their travelift.

Autonomous

Super Anarchist
PNW
 S&S Blue is beautiful but tricky. Somewhere I recently saw a video where the painter shot four test panels from the same paint can. He used, IIRC, two different pressures and two nozzles. Each panel looked different, surprisingly different. Maybe because of the small bit of sparkle in the paint?

Were I to use S&S I'd have the paint guy work up a combination I liked.

The Mist Green-Grey Green that is popular on wooden boats up here is lovely but I don't see any paint samples from the big paint makers that match. Secret sauce?

Plumbean

S&S Blue is beautiful but tricky. Somewhere I recently saw a video where the painter shot four test panels from the same paint can. He used, IIRC, two different pressures and two nozzles. Each panel looked different, surprisingly different. Maybe because of the small bit of sparkle in the paint?

Were I to use S&S I'd have the paint guy work up a combination I liked.

The Mist Green-Grey Green that is popular on wooden boats up here is lovely but I don't see any paint samples from the big paint makers that match. Secret sauce?
Yup.  They re-sprayed mine because they weren't happy with the first go round (neither was I).  Still gets lots of comments 5 years out of the shed.  Used Awlcraft S&S Blue, not the Awlgrip version.  Easier to repair, but a bit softer.  I've been happy with it overall.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Awlgrip Sky Blue with Arista Blue boot and cove. Dark blue it pretty hard to keep looking good.

iE1ciO6.jpg

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Interlux Perfection, Lauderdale Blue, rolled and tipped by me and a buddy. Eventually, I gave him the boat (1970 Pearson 24). The paint job is now about 10 years old and still going strong. Yeah, left the boat in a bit late the year this photo was taken...

Pearson.jpg