slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
moxie-2020-slip.jpg

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Blue boat hijack follows.

I'm requesting opinions on a stripe color for an upcoming dinghy. Which blue, actually which color, would you choose?

The colors:

The boat:

I went with the beige to give the sheer some definition without standing out too much. I did the stem, gripe and keel the same color for the hull of it. Then I painted the interior satin white with beige thwarts and sternsheets. 

B88416F7-6EC6-4952-B386-26E2F059EA3E.jpeg

B96DB1D5-DE89-41A5-AE16-754FCEFE1479.jpeg

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Well done!

My boat will have a dune-beige deck and cockpit. To keep things simple and control costs it will have a vinyl rubrail vs. wood so I need a contrasting color on the upper strake.

I actually wanted dark green on my next boat and still could go that direction but then I'd be tempted to go with a tanbark or Egyptian cream sail.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I’m going to install a cushioned canvas rub rail over the brightwork so it doesn’t damage my wooden cutter this summer if it drifts into it while at anchor or when I row out to it. 

rustylaru

earth
I suspect the very dark, almost black, blues need a bigger hull to look their best.
I think the dark dark blues look best when there is some bright work on deck to complement the rich tones.

The dark blue with red boot stripe and Bahamas blue bottom paint looks spectacular on a classic wood boat , and cheesy on my new to me J32.  Leopard skin looks great on a leopard and cheesy on sweatpants.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I like the dark blues but locally it's too hot for the topside colour. So one has to make some compromises :)     1162728166_BeneteauCup18JulesVidPicPro.com-5166.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a sistership to my (white) boat. Not sure what shade of blue this is. I think I'm sticking with white hull but I might use a light blue anti-skid when I re-do the decks (to go with the Pacific Blue Sunbrella on dodger and sailcover)...

View attachment 475992
Jim,

I love the color combo of a white boat and light blue decking. Another tuna harpoon boat I've worked closely with for 10 years has this paint scheme and I've always felt it's my favorite color pattern for a boat. Reminds me of old Cape Dories or the like!

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
the color scheme has never been one of them; something about it seemed a bit too boy-racer to me.  Now it's time to redo our topsides paint and I'm looking for inspiration.  I'm a traditionalist and would go for Stars and Stripes with a gold cove stripe if it were up to me, but Mrs. ChrisJD thinks that's too traditional.  Anyone got any brilliant suggestions, other than the standard navy-with-white or navy-with-gold?  Possibly more of a grayish-blue than just blue (though I've seen some lovely royal blue boats as well)?

Here she was five seasons ago, when her paint job at least looked as good as intended:
The blue, with the cover stripe (gold?), with the wide red boot stripe,  with the teak - to my eye either too many colors or they dont mix so well.  I'm not so sure the blue is the esthetic issue.

Have you considered bright ('tour de france') yellow? 

Last edited by a moderator: