Show me your blue boats!

The Q

Super Anarchist
What a thoroughly British way of moving a yacht.

I approve.
The majority of boats at the club ( other than dinghies) are 20ft to 25ft open deck keelboats, with our shallow waters, the keel depth of the classes is around 3ft. So that crane attaches to the boats keel bolts , with a frame, or wire /cable lifting adaptor. I built Blue Moon's keel bolt setup with Eye nuts on top and a specific adapter for BM

It only has to lift a couple of inches, the trailer is pulled out, the crane pushed to the dyke edge, and the boat lowered in. Normally the water level is about 18 inches below the quay heading height, though on that day we had a lower tide, so the water level was about an extra 6inches down and Blue Moon and the other boats being launched that day ran aground being moved up the dyke.

The cranes users annual meeting is this weekend,  we are going to increase the fees to £75 per year, due to increased insurance and annual survey costs. Unlimited lifting is permitted, so many lift for a scrub down mid summer.

Roam

IMG_20220127_143938729.jpg

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
Did we run out of blue boats?
Well, yes, in a sense - Pinniped can no longer contribute to this thread. I was waiting to post a photo once she had her canvas on (we're keeping it navy), but in the meantime I think the paint job itself looks pretty damn good, if I do say so.  Seashell green topsides, gold cove stripe, white-navy-white compound bootstripe (thanks to @Cruisin Loser's old Hinckley for the idea). Pinniped (repainted).png

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
Well, yes, in a sense - Pinniped can no longer contribute to this thread. I was waiting to post a photo once she had her canvas on (we're keeping it navy), but in the meantime I think the paint job itself looks pretty damn good, if I do say so.  Seashell green topsides, gold cove stripe, white-navy-white compound bootstripe (thanks to @Cruisin Loser's old Hinckley for the idea). View attachment 508159
Great decision. 

I was going to suggest BRG rather than blue.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Well, yes, in a sense - Pinniped can no longer contribute to this thread. I was waiting to post a photo once she had her canvas on (we're keeping it navy), but in the meantime I think the paint job itself looks pretty damn good, if I do say so.  Seashell green topsides, gold cove stripe, white-navy-white compound bootstripe (thanks to @Cruisin Loser's old Hinckley for the idea). View attachment 508159
AFTER my blue paint job was history, I had some yearnings for something like you have done. Really good looking. I think one of the Herreshoffs did a green shade where they added white until it looked right.

How long do Awlgrip topsides last anyway?

Here's a Graves Constellation, whose renovation in Rhode Island was covered in a YouTube series. It's what bit me.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones VIII

USA
Not a "Blue Boat", but a blue cove stripe, and a new sock puppet. I've been around a while, just a new boat. Here she is! (Yeah, I didn't catch the line overboard until later.) Shelter Bay Marina, Panama c2016.

image.png

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
AFTER my blue paint job was history, I had some yearnings for something like you have done. Really good looking. I think one of the Herreshoffs did a green shade where they added white until it looked right.

How long do Awlgrip topsides last anyway?

Here's a Graves Constellation, whose renovation in Rhode Island was covered in a YouTube series. It's what bit me.

View attachment 508386
Damn, I love the look of that. I should have been less specific with the thread title; if I'd seen this last year it might have saved us a bunch of time.

Out of curiosity, do you know what color that is?  It looks similar to the seashell green we went with, but maybe a bit more turquoise.

To answer your question on Awlgrip, we only bought her in 2017 but my understanding is that she'd been Awlgripped in 2001-2 or so. The paint still looked good from a distance, but there were a bunch of nicks and scratches around the transom when you took a close look.