Show me your blue boats!

kdh

Super Anarchist
Mine’s blue.

903F6E32-1345-4695-B70D-007BB94F73CA.jpeg

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Damn, I love the look of that. I should have been less specific with the thread title; if I'd seen this last year it might have saved us a bunch of time.

Out of curiosity, do you know what color that is?  It looks similar to the seashell green we went with, but maybe a bit more turquoise.

To answer your question on Awlgrip, we only bought her in 2017 but my understanding is that she'd been Awlgripped in 2001-2 or so. The paint still looked good from a distance, but there were a bunch of nicks and scratches around the transom when you took a close look.
Don't know the color, but here is a link to the YouTube series on the renovation. It's well done, and very interesting.

BTW, did you have the deck area and house painted too? The boat looks great.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Thanks! She's a Sabre 402. I don't think you see a lot of them in Europe and unfortunately these days Sabre only makes motorboats, but we love her.
Great boat. I'd prefer the deep keel, but that's just me. Sabre's motor boats are nice, too. Hinckley no longer builds sailboats, either. 

The color scheme is stunning, IMO. The green is very similar to Herreshoff Green, a much favored color of Capt. Nat. When the Read family owner her, Belisarius, Cpt. Nat's last design, was that color or darned close. 

kdh

Super Anarchist
Gang colors. 

Hinckley owners become dangerous when they travel in packs, snorting up all the tables at the best restaurants, swaggering down the sidewalks in their Talaria jackets, swinging winch handles at us lesser folks. B)
Yeah, right. A Hinckley is just another plastic boat. B)

kdh

Super Anarchist
5 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

But the owners, that's a different kettle of fish. I've seen 'em turn feral. With big pointy teeth!

True, that.

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
@Bull City, we just painted the hull for this year. Between that and the varnish work, and renovating our house, it felt like getting enough teeth extracted at once without removing all the deck hardware and doing the deck and coach roof. Maybe sometime soon, but honestly the top of the boat is in pretty good shape.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
@Bull City, we just painted the hull for this year. Between that and the varnish work, and renovating our house, it felt like getting enough teeth extracted at once without removing all the deck hardware and doing the deck and coach roof. Maybe sometime soon, but honestly the top of the boat is in pretty good shape.
I am not good at interrogation. What I should have asked was: If the deck and deckhouse had been Awlgripped, how had they held up?  Had they been Awlgripped? 

The reason I ask is that all of TONIC above the waterline was Awlgripped 7 years ago. It's still looking good, but we're in a high UV area.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
I am not good at interrogation. What I should have asked was: If the deck and deckhouse had been Awlgripped, how had they held up?  Had they been Awlgripped? 

The reason I ask is that all of TONIC above the waterline was Awlgripped 7 years ago. It's still looking good, but we're in a high UV area.
Ah, got it. Deck and deckhouse were Awlgripped in 2002 when Sabre re-applied the nonskid after the original gelcoat had typical mid-90s gelcoat crazing. It’s holding up pretty well, two decades on, but we’ll probably redo it in the next 3-5 years, depending how the markets treat me.

ChrisJD

Boston, MA
Great boat. I'd prefer the deep keel, but that's just me. Sabre's motor boats are nice, too. Hinckley no longer builds sailboats, either. 

The color scheme is stunning, IMO. The green is very similar to Herreshoff Green, a much favored color of Capt. Nat. When the Read family owner her, Belisarius, Cpt. Nat's last design, was that color or darned close. 
Cruisin, I'd be remiss if I failed to say thank you for the back-and-forth a couple of years back about yards in Maine (and the Cape).  I reached out to a bunch of them, and will probably end having Pinniped over-winter in Maine in a year or two to get her spars repainted, and though it wasn't my intention at the time, the discussions with those yards went a long way toward crystallizing exactly what I wanted done to our boat and the kind of customer service that was available - which our home yard then took it on themselves to match.  I think a lot of owners around here beyond just myself have benefitted from that.

accnick

Super Anarchist

It is similar to the Herreshoff green that Belisarius was painted , but not exactly the same color. That was Charlie Reed, by the way, not Read (like Kenny and his dad Bob Read).

I sailed on Belisarius, many, many years ago.

She was built for C.B. Rockwell (Bristol, RI) for cruising in the Bahamas, hence the shoal draft.

NGH has been credited with saying "there are only two colors to paint a boat: black, or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black."

Not sure that quote is real or not--sounds more like LF Herreshoff-- but a number of NGH's boats were painted Herreshoff green.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Nah, it was Charlie and Helen Read, and their son Daniel. I grew up racing Beetles at EYC against Danny. He's now an art glass blower and still lives near my mom. For several years everything by the famous Dale Chihuly came from Danny's mouth. I have several pieces of his in my home. He's a member of the Providence art club with my mom.

Not related to Bob and Kenny. I sailed with Bob on several occasions, one of the funniest guys on earth. He got that Pearson 39 for almost nothing, but damn near killed himself getting all of the black mold out. One time, sailing against him, I was behind, took a flyer from the whole fleet and came out ahead on a big shift, winning the race (20 Hundred Club Fall Race). At the party he called me "the Rosie Ruiz of sailboat racing".  :lol: