Show me your blue boats!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Tayana 37 taka ano.jpg

accnick

Super Anarchist
Nah, it was Charlie and Helen Read, and their son Daniel. I grew up racing Beetles at EYC against Danny. He's now an art glass blower and still lives near my mom. For several years everything by the famous Dale Chihuly came from Danny's mouth. I have several pieces of his in my home. He's a member of the Providence art club with my mom.

Not related to Bob and Kenny. I sailed with Bob on several occasions, one of the funniest guys on earth. He got that Pearson 39 for almost nothing, but damn near killed himself getting all of the black mold out. One time, sailing against him, I was behind, took a flyer from the whole fleet and came out ahead on a big shift, winning the race (20 Hundred Club Fall Race). At the party he called me "the Rosie Ruiz of sailboat racing".  :lol:
My mistake. 

I had trouble coming to terms with the bow on Belisarius. That baldheaded clipper bow was definitely  unusual. Phil Rhodes pulled it off a lot better on Paul Hoffman's Thunderhead a few years later.

I don't know what became of Belisarius. She was a bit rough around the edges even when I knew her in the 1970s. I think she was maintained on a bit of a shoestring back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
My mistake. 

I had trouble coming to terms with the bow on Belisarius. That baldheaded clipper bow was definitely  unusual. Phil Rhodes pulled it off a lot better on Paul Hoffman's Thunderhead a few years later.

I don't know what became of Belisarius. She was a bit rough around the edges even when I knew her in the 1970s. I think she was maintained on a bit of a shoestring back then.
She was. There came a time when they simply couldn't afford the needed rebuild, so she was donated to the Herreshoff Marine Museum, been inside on the hard there for decades now. 

I see quite a bit of Thunderhead. A guy who sails with me a lot in Maine was her race driver under a previous owner. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
She was. There came a time when they simply couldn't afford the needed rebuild, so she was donated to the Herreshoff Marine Museum, been inside on the hard there for decades now. 
Belisarius isn't the only boat that arrived at the museum that way. It's better than seeing them go to hell in a boatyard or field somewhere, whihc has happened to way to many boats with impeccable pedigrees and owners who can't really afford them.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jim:

Come on now, do you really think Mark Mills would draw a boat like that? This is my Tayana 37 drawn 48 years ago.. I assumed people would recognize it. They built 600 of them. Mark's designs are all very high tech race boats including a very cool new foiler just launched.

TY 37 sail plan.jpg

accnick

Super Anarchist
Jim:

Come on now, do you really think Mark Mills would draw a boat like that? This is my Tayana 37 drawn 48 years ago.. I assumed people would recognize it. They built 600 of them. Mark's designs are all very high tech race boats including a very cool new foiler just launched.

View attachment 509290
When we were circumnavigating  20+ years ago, I suspect we saw more Tayana 37s than any other single design.

kdh

Super Anarchist
A buddy of mine had one. Beautiful boats.

Of course, all that keel makes her a proper cruising boat. B)

trisail

Anarchist
I like this one.

My friend's blue boat.

Olleanna, an OE32.

Leaving South Africa on a solo passage to Europe for the start of the Golden Globe Race.

Not my pic. 

bb1.jpg

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Jim:

View attachment 509290
I think what I like the most about this design is the rig.  The aspect ratio and the perfectly raked mast are beautiful.  (a proper sized staysail as well)

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
When I get older and wiser I hope I grow the cojones to go sails up, hatch open, but I just look at that and shudder right now.
You've got to get air below somehow, or the cook will suffer. Unlike that Tayana, few boats these days have dorades. The sailing conditions look pretty benign, I'm not seeing any whitecaps behind them. 

On my own boat we have a spray hood for the forward hatch on the cabintop that allows it to remain open a great deal of the time, even sailing to or from Bermuda. We simply exercise judgement. 

restive052108BARN-4035.jpg

Well, yes, in a sense - Pinniped can no longer contribute to this thread. I was waiting to post a photo once she had her canvas on (we're keeping it navy), but in the meantime I think the paint job itself looks pretty damn good, if I do say so.  Seashell green topsides, gold cove stripe, white-navy-white compound bootstripe (thanks to @Cruisin Loser's old Hinckley for the idea). View attachment 508159
That Seashell Green is such a great color, but I'm a little partial.

Here's Seashell Green w/ Aristo Blue cove & boot stripes.

PXL_20210423_190615612.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_20180208_083625.jpg